Neofeud 2

Started by SilverSpook, Sun 21/05/2017 07:17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

I've finished the MAGS demo.
It looks great but feels incomplete gameplay and story-wise. I love what I saw though. It's a glimpse of something bigger and truly fascinating. It gave me one more reason to play Neofeud so I finally bought it :P

SilverSpook

Hey Creamy, thanks for playing Forgotten City!

Yes, the story itself definitely is nowhere near complete as I intended this to be a full game in the future, hopefully around the same length as Neofeud (10+ hours).

Since we had a month (slightly more for this competition) I spent a lot of time just trying to get a small piece of the game working and looking right, especially the infrared vision mode and stealth mechanics.  So a lot of the gameplay isn't there, especially after the first two areas.  There will be much more to the gameplay in the future if this becomes a full game.

Also, thanks a ton for buying Neofeud!  I do mean it when I say that buying Neofeud helps to get Forgotten City done, because right now the finances are not going to pan out for me to finish Forgotten City.  So thanks for that!

SilverSpook

I will be doing live gamedev on this tomorrow, and in addition, I will be looking for a new title! "Forgotten City" was, as mentioned, always the working title, and so I am taking suggestions for the new name. :) 

alphadalekben

Before anyone else makes the joke - Neofeud 2: Electric Boogaloo.

On a more serious note, I'd think about some sort of thematic portmanteau (like what you did with 'Neofeud') or a title along the lines of 'The Runner' in keeping with the main character's role. Hell, you could even do both in a 'Title - Subtitle' format, like 'Neofeuder - The Runner'.

Hopefully, that makes some sort of sense.

dactylopus

I enjoyed that video.  Love the music.  Looks like the game is coming along nicely.

SilverSpook

@alphadalekben: Haha!  Yes, a portmanteau or made up word that's suggestive / evocative would work here.

@dactylopus: Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it. 

SilverSpook

The drone mothership.  (WIP)

AKA, an artist's rendering of Amazon taking over the world.

EDIT: Here's the livestream of making this background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPBVDF0_fg&t=1848s

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Extremely impressed with this entry, although it was quite short. The time gone into its graphics and general presentation amaze me. I love the attention to details on the various animation sequences, the backdrops where awe inspiring.
Just the whole atmosphere was spot one and that surreal/grungy sound track playing in the background really added a cherry on top.
I love how you explored a variety of interesting mechanics from body parts system up to infra red viewing mode.
I was surprised to see most of it was voice acted too, however I thought one of the characters accent/culture of language was a bit over done in a stereotypical way
All in all a fine experience set in a believable world and if this demo is anything to go on I will most surely give the full game a solid play through. I just wish has been a bit of a longer experience.

And really amazing work getting this to such a state in so little time. Well done

SilverSpook

Thanks Tycho for the kind feedback!

Yes, I certainly wish there could've been more of this game for the competition.  Rest assured, if there is support for the game (and it seems like a lot of folks want it to happen), then there will be much more where this demo/prototype came from! :D

SilverSpook

Quick question: what do you guys think about these potential names.

Kernel Failure. Kernelclasm. Oblitera. Annihila.

I'm leaning toward the first one myself.

alphadalekben

Whilst I'm leaning towards the first one myself as well, it depends on what exactly you'd want from the title.

If you want something closer to 'Neofeud' as a title, I'd suggest the last two or another variation of.

The only one that I'm really not keen on 'Kernelclasm' as that sounds too much like a portmanteau without sounding like a real word.

You could possibly even have some sort of Latin or faux-Latin translation of the first one (as 'Neofeud' has that kind of feel to me), which is 'Kernel Defectum' in Latin.

Hopefully, all this rambling has been useful to you.

Pilchard

I've just played the demo, well done! Noria's augmentations and the stealth aspect of the game are nicely implemented, and promise to make for lots of interesting adventuring possibilities in the eventual full-length game. There was some heavy world-building in the dialogue and descriptions, but a demo needs to hook the audience in, and you've managed to establish an intriguing setting effectively across just a few rooms.

I'll follow this with interest, and expect lots more screenshots of majestic sunsets populated by terrifying spacecraft. :)

SilverSpook

Thanks very much, alphadalekben, for the feedback and suggestions.

And thanks Pilchard for yours. :)  There'll be more more terrifying machines, although I can't promise the sun will be up. ;)

selmiak

Longplay'd!
this is really fun. I wouldn't mind having 3-5 hiding spots for the stealth scene and/or some variety to it like corners or so.
Also I want to find out what happens to noria when she powers up lots of things with her aug but then runs out of power before powering up the final thing ;)

edit:
@SS:
In you last devstream you always read the lines that are later voice acted in the demo I just played. Do you stream how you work on the lines for the walker killerbot somewhere?

SilverSpook

Wow, thanks a ton for doing that great playthrough, Selmiak!  Awesome intro, btw.

RE Stealth: Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning to rework a lot of how the stealth stuff works, do the Goldilocks thing (not to hard not to easy).  I kind of just had enough time to get that little bit out there and functioning in the game with virtually no testing, so yeah.

A big aspect of the game plan this point is to make having power and running out of power be a big issue, for sure. Having all the augs functioning all the time would make her kinda be able to Supergirl her way through many potential puzzles, negating the pnc adventuring. So yes, her running out of 'battery bars' on her technomagic is definitely going to be a thing.

RE Lines for the killer walker bot: I didn't actually stream working on the walker's dialog anywhere, no.  My writing process can be a bit slow so I don't usually do that live. Although I might throw some placeholder lines into AGS in a pinch, or go over some stuff I've already written to show how it goes from an MS Word or Google Doc to code.

selmiak

All these plans make a great game for sho!
but I mean I'm very interested in how you work on the audioediting for the walker, all these FX on the voice, not the writing of the lines ;)

SilverSpook

Ah, I see. ;) Well I can tell you that I put the voice through a vocoder, a bunch of chorus, and then chop it up / stretch it in Ableton Live to get that malfunctioning robot version.  You could also do it in Audition, Audacity, or I don't know what else audio editing tools are out nowadays.

EDIT: The name has now officially changed to "Dysmaton"!  Plus, the latest progress.

"The Kernel".

Blondbraid

Cool artwork, as always!
And the title change is nice, it's good for games to have unusual words in the title if people google them.

Cassiebsg

That's a lot of drones. 8-0
Nice with the title. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SilverSpook

Thankd Blondbraid and Cassie. :)

Yes, I have a list of literally around 200 potential titles.  A lot of the potential titles are likely to become place / character / object / organization names in the game though, so it's not dozens of hours wasted. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk