MUSIC COMPETITION - May 2017 - THEME: DEATH (VOTING ENDS 20TH JUNE)

Started by Dualnames, Sun 21/05/2017 19:24:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is a Music Competition?

Well, a music competition, is a competition where music composers can compose and release their musical creations to compete for the ultimate priz, acceptance and recognition.
It's meant to be fun, no one should care about winning, but improving their own skill set. Or trying new things. Be creative!

Who is hosting it? And why is this back again?

I'm hosting it, and the reason it's back, is to make it interesting again.

The main problems of the old tune competition, which explained the lack of entries, were:
1) Unclear deadlines.
2) Very strict themes.
3) Very strict rules.

THEME: DEATH
Definition of Death

1)
a :  a permanent cessation of all vital (see vital 2a) functions :  the end of life The cause of death has not been determined. managed to escape death prisoners were put to death death threats â€" compare brain death
b :  an instance of dying a disease causing many deaths lived there until her death

2)
a :  the cause or occasion of loss of life drinking was the death of him
b :  a cause of ruin
the slander that was death to my character â€" Wilkie Collins
The drought was death to the farm.

3)
capitalized, folklore :  the destroyer of life represented usually as a skeleton with a scythe when death comes to take me away

4)
:  the state of being no longer alive :  the state of being dead

5)
a :  the passing or destruction of something inanimate the death of vaudeville
b :  extinction the death of the dinosaurs

6)
law :  civil death

7)
:  slaughter death and destruction

8)
Christian Science :  the lie of life in matter :  that which is unreal and untrue

RULES:

As long as it fits the theme (and that should be fairly broad), you can compose and post from at least one to x songs. You can even make an EP.
For example you can compose a hip-hop beat that samples the world LOVE and makes a pun as you hear a tennis crowd cheering at the end. You can do anything, as long as you can explain (if needed) how it does fit.

No limit on duration:
          -You wanna make 2 bars, make 2 bars.

No limit on genres:
          -Any genre goes, death metal songs are fine.

No limit on covers:
          - You can cover an older composition of yours or someone else's, as long as the cover is obvious and you are being honest (aka posting the older song)

No limit on file type:
          - MIDIs are fine.
          - OGGs are fine. (Preferably at 320kbps)
          - WAV are fine.
          - FLACs are fine.
          - MP3s are fine. (Preferably at 320kbps CBR or V0 VBR)

For the lossy filetypes (mp3, ogg) above 128 CBR (Constant Bitrate) plz.

Limit on the time deadline.
          -Entries that are delivered late, unless I'm notified before, won't be accepted, unless the entry is delivered within 24 hours after the deadline.

Deadline:

The deadline is till the 12th of June, that is, because on June 15th I'll post another theme, while this competition goes on the voting part. Voting will be public, and can be done by anyone. We'll see more rules about it, when we get there.

Workshop:

If you wanna do your entries, workshop style, that's highly advised. Going into detail, explaining your process, and how you work, if you want. No harm in sharing, people can input on that, but please do so in a respectable manner.

TL:DR
Code: ags

Theme is DEATH. 
Compose a song.
Deadline is JUNE 12th.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

xBRANEx

I'll try and compose something good for this one!

Mouth for war

I hope it's ok even though these are old songs I made? If not then ignore these entries I just thought they suited the theme :)

For those having problems with growling I'll write down the lyrics here for both songs :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVwFh1ssWc

RELIGION

Murder's the answer, you think it's the way.
To solve all your problems in blood they will pay
Committing your crimes in the good lord's name.
The bloodshed continues, the infidels you blame

Genocide and crowded tombs, Women raped and killed
Is that your desires? Your dreams fulfilled?

Changing the world, a change for the worse.
Don't understand that religion's a curse
Wake up from the spell and open your eyes
Your brainwashed, stupid. Your truths are lies

Genocide and crowded tombs, Women raped and killed
Is that your desires? Your dreams fulfilled?

Ch.
Religion's a poison, (it's) raping your brain
Religion's a sickness, wrong and insane
Blind for the madness surrounding you all
Don't share your beliefs, by the sword they fall
Charged up with hatred you march into war
Slaying the infidels, (They shall) live no more
Forcing the people to think like you.
You have all the answers, you know what's true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7I0TxNVhE

END OF DAYS

Fuck this world of eternal hate
Spreading the disease called humanity
raping mother earth with no regrets
The planet cries in pain

A cancer in this world we are
a tool of mass destruction
We've gone too far there's no turning back
We'll meet our fate in hell

The choices made, the things we do
We'll all pay for some day
There is no cure for this disease
we call humanity
Leaving scars that will never heal
The world's an open wound
The point of no return is reached
Embrace eternal sleep

Embrace eternal sleep
Embrace eternal sleep

Face the end of days
No tomorrow
Face the end of days
There's no future

The sands of time is pouring down
Countdown to extinction
The parasites will finally pay
our punishment is here
All is damned, all is lost
This place is dead and cold
When we finally realise
We're doomed it's all to late

Face the end of days
No tomorrow
Face the end of days
There's no future
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Ogon

Quote from: Mouth for war on Sun 21/05/2017 23:35:14
I hope it's ok even though these are old songs I made?
I don't know the rules in detail, but I would assume the entire point of the competition is making a new piece to win and not just dig out an old one out of an existing catalog.

Mouth for war

I suspect you're right, :D Haven't been doing thatkind of music for a loooong time and have no real opportunity to do it anymore. I do record Music at home but doing that kind of vocals in an apartment would not be appreciated by the neighbours XD
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Creamy

DIRGE

Sorry for the noise, my gear really sucks  :(
I won't enter again before I've got something better than this Line Link cable.

The voice belongs to Strangely satisfying ASMR. Celio and violin samples from Freesound.org and Universal soundbank.

Feel free to criticize.

Dualnames

Damn creamy that's bleak!

Anyhow's here's my entry https://soundcloud.com/ledzepforever/apartfalling

Mostly focused on the decay side of life. I'm imagining a small rural town full of rust (twin peakish) accompanied by this.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Creamy

QuoteDamn creamy that's bleak!
Yeah, quite fitting in view of Manchester's current events. 
At first, I wanted to play a song à  la Grim Fandango but I have neither the skill nor the equipment to do it so I went for a regular requiem. I have forced myself to keep a very slow tempo.

It's a far cry from Apartfalling. Even if melancholy creeps in, your song nearly feels upbeat.

@ Mouth of War : Because of the constant growling and full tilt interpretation, it's hard for me to perceive anything else than a raw anger in these 2 songs. Neat skills and production though. I like the solo at 2:00 in Religion.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi, folks really nice entries there so far.

I have been tinkering around with making tunes since my old Amiga days, but never as a serious interest, so they are not very good, or professionally mastered. I have built up quite a lot of tracks over the years, and I knew I had some related to death, found 4, though they are a bit strange, and certainly a mile away from the quality/pro sounding entries for the contest so far. Hell, I thought to post it anyway.

Waiting to Die:
http://fractalscapes.net/_media/Audio/Pangaea_Waiting_To%20_Die.mp3
Sort of ambient with a light beat that carries it through, and dark pads, oldie this one. quite repetitive.

The Last Bardo of Horus (Dawning of a New Day):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gySzBkOiN0g
No beats here, just a climaxing melody riff, inspired by the Bardo Thodol, this was another oldie that I was testing a video with not so long ago, I lost the project file for the audio, so only audio on the video remains with about 30 secs cut off at the end. This was a really short track.

An End:
http://fractalscapes.net/_media/Audio/An-End.mp3
Drum and Bass using samples from The Doors - The End .. very un-mastered and when I was doing this I intended to work on the beats a lot more, alas time got in the way of that, and this track was soon forgotten about. If your not into drum and bass then save your ears the pain, they will bleed.

A Deep Coma Followed by Death:
http://fractalscapes.net/_media/Audio/Pangaea_A_Deep_Coma_Followed_By_Death.mp3
My personal favorite. This is quite weird and dark, and perhaps a bit disturbing/uneasy. I used a sample from Clannad - Theme from Harry's Game to carry this one combined with various ambient/weird things. It's very short, more of a "moment" rather then a full track.. sorta kinda.

Dualnames

So the only entries I see are mine and creamy's. Anyone else working on an entry perhaps? Or we starting the voting process?

Ogon

I didn't plan to submit it because it is unfinished and I'm not particularly happy with the entry, but given there are only two entries and I like the idea of this competition in general I will hereby submit one anyway - unless it is considered too late of course, but it wasn't modified since the 12th (if that statement counts for anything).

Anyway, here it is: https://www.homeofjones.net/temp/2017-06-02-death-competition-ags.ogg

You should probably confirm or deny whether this is still counted given the late date, so there's no confusion during the voting. I don't want to mess up the process or anything!

Dualnames

Current Score:
#1Untitledby Ogon3
#2Apartfallingby Dualnames2
#3Dirgeby Creamy5

The voting is going to work this way: You can give 3, 2 and 1 point respectively to different songs you choose. It also be nice to give an explanation behind your vote, but it's not necessary.
Also, you cannot vote for your own entry.

Let the voting commence!

The voting closes on 20th June.

Ogon

I found it pretty hard to decide between the two entries I maz vote for, since both are good but so vastly different in their approach. Ultimately I find Creamy's entry to be a better fit for the theme, even though Dualnames' piece has a bit of a higher polish which appeals to me.

3 points: Creamy
2 points: Dualnames

(I can't vote for my own entry)

Dualnames

Well, my votes would be Ogon 3 and Creamy 2, so that's a win for Creamy!

Creamy

Well, I only win because I forgot to vote :=
At least, I don't need to choose between your entries any more now.
Ogon's entry sounds like a dirge too, if more heroic with its horns and choirs. Outstanding production values once again.

I've appreciated Tycho Magnetic Anomaly's fine tuned ambient mixes too (not available any more).

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Crikey, I forgot about this thread and to vote too, also sorry my hosting company has been messing up periodically for a few weeks, server totally offline for the past 48hrs i think. Back now though.

Congrats to the all the winners.. well all two three of you :D

Cheers creamy,
is that rachel dualnames?

bartillier

Damn, havent been on this forum for 10 years. Are the tune contests still goin on? :D

horusr

You have msn attached, you really haven't been here for 10 years, huh? Well, we have jetpacks now, here in the forum.

Dkobylarz

This is really cool, I didn't even know these competitions were a thing! Any plans for the next one? :smiley:

Phemar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk