A R C H E O S #AdvJam2017

Started by Atavismus, Mon 22/05/2017 16:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Atavismus

Hi there!

Let me introduce you ARCHEOS, our entry for #AdvJam2017.

Download:
http://gamejolt.com/games/archeos/257293

Synopsis:
In a far distant future, two archaeologists are exploring Earth.
The planet has been ruined and humans have been extinct.
What will History say about our civilizations?
Point, click and gather vestiges.

Team:
Code: @Ib1spi
(Hi)story: @DustbowlAGS
Music: @pederjohnsen
Art: @UnFantomeBleu

Screenshots:

Hope you'll like it and have some fun. ;)

Atavisjones

arj0n

Played this little game this weekend and really enjoyed it. Recommended!

Blondbraid

The screenshots look nice, I'm definitively giving this a try!  :)

edit: Just finished the game, and while the controls could use some polish and the ending felt a little abrupt,
the mood and setting was nice and the dialogues made me chuckle.

josiah1221

It always amazes me what people are able to do in only 2 weeks for these jams. I enjoyed the references and funny dialogues, well done :)

Atavismus

Thank you all! :)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 22/05/2017 18:20:24
the controls could use some polish
Please, can you tell me what you would have expect?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Atavismus on Tue 23/05/2017 08:34:34

Well, there were some times where the characters wouldn't go to the next room, and I had to go back and forth for it to work,
and the cross-hair was pretty big, which made pixel-hunting harder.

shaun9991

Looks amazing, glad to see you got the game done :) Going to play ASAP
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Atavismus

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 23/05/2017 10:47:09
Well, there were some times where the characters wouldn't go to the next room, and I had to go back and forth for it to work
Be sure I'll blame the coder for this! :D

the cross-hair was pretty big, which made pixel-hunting harder.
Be sure I'll blame myself for this! :D
(But well, that game is "pixel-hunting" free, we are not criminals. ^^)

Quote from: shaun9991 on Tue 23/05/2017 13:20:00
Looks amazing, glad to see you got the game done :) Going to play ASAP
Thx Shaun! Hope we'll be able to make a jam together another time. ;)

Ibispi

Quote from: Atavismus on Tue 23/05/2017 08:34:34

Well, there were some times where the characters wouldn't go to the next room, and I had to go back and forth for it to work,
and the cross-hair was pretty big, which made pixel-hunting harder.
Hey Blondbraid! Thanks for playing the game.
The main character is supposed to move to one end of the room all the way until he disappears from the screen, unless you double click in which case he instantly 'teleports' there. However, if you press the right mouse button you stop the character from moving, so if you right-clicked while the character was outside the screen, when he was just about to change the room, he would've just stayed there outside the screen.
Do you remember, maybe, if you pressed the right mouse button when that happened?

Blondbraid

I don't exactly remember if I pressed the right button, but it didn't stop me from completing the game anyway.

Ibispi

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 23/05/2017 17:24:21
I don't exactly remember if I pressed the right button, but it didn't stop me from completing the game anyway.
Ok, well, thanks for reporting the issue. (and thanks for playing the game :kiss: )

ThreeOhFour

I liked this game! Fun idea, and the graphics and music worked perfectly together.

One thing I'd like to suggest:

Spoiler
When going to use the key on the box, it's frustrating that instead of saying "The jewel is too rusty to fit in this slot" or something similar, he says "We have no reason to do that yet". It made me feel as though I was on the wrong track, because it didn't quite give me an understanding of why he wouldn't do it. Would be nice to see him mention that the key is too rusty.
[close]

Congratulations on finishing your game!

Ibispi

Thanks for playing the game and for the feedback, Ben!
Also, I definitely agree with you on the puzzle suggestion. I'll try to persuade the writer to change this, so that it would be less confusing for the player.

Two Tales

Just finished playing this little gem. Good work!

Cassiebsg

Sight... is there a mirror for this game?

Congrats on the release!  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ibispi

@Two Tales, thanks!

@Cassie I'll upload a mirror just for you :kiss:

Cassiebsg

just finished it, really nice game, very witty and funny.  (laugh)
Good job everyone!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Atavismus

Thx a lot for playing guys and gals!
The whole team is very happy you enjoy our little game.

josiah1221 mentioned about the references.

I wonder which one people get?

Who are Seamus, Pangloss and Elon for example?

Pilchard

I enjoyed this, especially the dialogue - the spurious theories about life on Earth were fun. Strong art and music, too - all made for a nicely atmospheric short game.

Well done - and congratulations on being nominated for the Adventure Jam judges' picks!

Atavismus

Quote from: Pilchard on Fri 02/06/2017 18:19:07
I enjoyed this, especially the dialogue - the spurious theories about life on Earth were fun. Strong art and music, too - all made for a nicely atmospheric short game.

Well done - and congratulations on being nominated for the Adventure Jam judges' picks!

Double thx Pilchard!
We didn't noticed about the nomination. :)

selmiak

avast went crazy over these gamefiles.
but finally I could play it and it's really nice. I like the backgrounds and characters, the writing is funny, though a bit too much sometimes, the puzzles are more on the easy side, the soundtrack is cool and fitting, overall a great game.

I recorded a playthrough of the game! :-D

Atavismus

Thx for your words and videos Selmiak, really glad you like it!
It's always fun to watch people play your game. :)

Sorry about that "false positive", I don't know why avast is sometimes such crazy (some ppl also mentioned it, still with avast).
But maybe ibispi put a naked picture of peder in the build, I don't know...

Hobo

Loved the visual style, very well crafted, and combined with the music it helped to create a wonderful and fitting atmosphere. The animations were a bit wonky here and there, like walking animation playing while talking etc., but nothing too annoying or immersion breaking.
The writing was enjoyable, bunch of good jokes and neat references, but I think I spotted a few typos and at times there was too much of it, especially when you clicked on something a second time and had to go through all the same text again.
Puzzles and gameplay were kind of on the light side, but considering the time constraints, that's perfectly normal. That one-click interface probably made the game feel sort of more limited than your traditional adventure. But to be honest, I think I actually prefer easier and more logical adventures these days :)

Overall, great work! It's an excellent jam game and it's good to see that it ranked quite high in the competition.

I also had some issues with Avast, it didn't like any of the AGS-made adventure jam games in fact.

Quote from: Atavismus on Sat 27/05/2017 13:06:22
Who are Seamus, Pangloss and Elon for example?
Only Elon I know is Musk :)

Atavismus

Hi Hobo!

Good to hear from you. ;)
Thx for your feedbacks and kind words.

Quote from: Hobo on Wed 05/07/2017 20:54:47
especially when you clicked on something a second time and had to go through all the same text again.
Yeah, that's the main issue imo.
We were aware of it, but as you guessed, we lacked time (we started very late).

Puzzles and gameplay were kind of on the light side, but considering the time constraints, that's perfectly normal. That one-click interface probably made the game feel sort of more limited than your traditional adventure. But to be honest, I think I actually prefer easier and more logical adventures these days :)
Well, that was more or less in purpose: I wanted to focus on the dialogs.
I guess too much puzzles (and harder ones) would have spoil the fun.
In fact, it seems more and more people like to play "easy" adventure game, more like interactive fiction (nothing blocking, you cross "quietly"/"smoothly" the story).
I don't know myself what to think about it, so I wanted to experience it.
But I still don't know. :D

I also had some issues with Avast, it didn't like any of the AGS-made adventure jam games in fact.
Yeah, that's annoying, not sure the ags dev team can do something about it.

Only Elon I know is Musk :)
Yes, that's him indeed. ;)

Gendgi

This was fun and the atmosphere is great, too bad it was too short :)

Thanyx

The graphics, the jokes and references, solid consistent characters. Everything was way too perfect for my taste. Just as it should be. As many people already said, it would be cool if the game was longer, although it is acceptable since it has been created in such a short time. I definitely loved it!

Ibispi

Thanks, Gendgi and Thanyx!
Also, I'd like to thank Hobo since he pointed out some typos and we fixed them thanks to him. Great guy.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Well done with this guys, I have not had a chance to try it yet, but will do so this week.
Looks very very impressive and professional!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk