The Treasure of Loch Inch

Started by Pilchard, Wed 24/05/2017 08:50:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilchard

The Treasure of Loch Inch

Treasure-hunter Roddy arrives at the picturesque Loch Inch, deep in the Scottish Highlands, armed with his trusty shovel and a hunch that, amongst its crumbling old fortress, the island in the middle of the loch may hold untold riches...

A short point-and-click adventure game inspired by classics of the genre and Hergé's Tintin comics.

• Admire the dramatic scenery of the Highlands, lovingly rendered in 320x200 pixels
  • Earn your fortune and glory tracking down forgotten Jacobite gold
  • Converse with eccentric trout fishermen
  • Overcome a deep-rooted fear of sheep
Created May 5th-19th 2017 for Adventure Jam 2017.

This the first AGS game I've released! Having dabbled with the engine and embarked on several overly ambitious projects in the dim and distant past, this Adventure Jam turned out to be the perfect impetus to get something finished.

It's very short indeed, but around the limit to what I could have achieved on my own in a fortnight. I was able to stick to my modest plan and not cut anything, but more time may have allowed a few more special animations, a few more kinks in the puzzle chain, and some music by my brother (who was too busy moving house to help out this time). But all those things can happen for my next game! :)

As this was my first effort, needless to say various old Technical Forum threads were a crucial lifeline - so thanks to all the helpful scripting heroes on here!

arj0n

Looks like fun!
Gonna play this one for sure.

Mandle

Looks lovely indeed... And anything to do with treaure hunting and/or the wonderful atmosphere of the Scottish highlands has me hooked!

Shadow1000

I absolutely loved this game! Awesome art, puzzles are just right. A few good laughs. Well done!

Mandle

YAAAAY!!! ENCORE ENCORE!!!

I'm serious! I want more! The game was beautiful to look at and great fun to play!

Thanks for this little gem!

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release, looking forward to playing it!

Don't forget to add the game to the AGS database.  (nod)

EDIT: Finished! Lovely little game, with a really nice puzzle.  (nod)
Shame you didn't use it for MAGS too.  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pilchard

Thank you all for the very kind words! I'm pleased you all enjoyed it. ;-D

Mandle: I'm thinking about a way of continuing Roddy's treasure-hunting adventures!

Cassiebsg: Thanks for the reminder, I've now added it to the database - here. Also, I do plan to take part in MAGS soon, maybe even the June edition.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 25/05/2017 10:42:09
Shame you didn't use it for MAGS too.  :~(

There's still time to enter this game for this month's MAGS.

The theme is "The Fickle Hand Of Fate" so this game could squeeze into that category:

Spoiler
The treasure hunter is "robbed" by fate when the treasure turns out to be not all he expected...
[close]

Chicky

Fortune and glory kid, fortune and glory.  ;)

Looks absolutely lovely, delighted to hear Tintin is an influence. Shall give it a go this weekend  :)

Mandle

I replayed the game yesterday and today with my 3-6 year old Japanese students asking them what to do next, and with a few gentle hints each class had a great time reaching the ending...

It's a great 10 minute end-of-class game-time kind of game!

Everyone loved the sheep!

Pilchard

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 27/05/2017 16:58:04
I replayed the game yesterday and today with my 3-6 year old Japanese students asking them what to do next, and with a few gentle hints each class had a great time reaching the ending...

Once again thanks so much Mandle, I was delighted to read this! Really fun to think of my little game being played by your students.

Mandle

Quote from: Pilchard on Sat 27/05/2017 23:49:59
Quote from: Mandle on Sat 27/05/2017 16:58:04

Once again thanks so much Mandle, I was delighted to read this! Really fun to think of my little game being played by your students.

Kids are also a great way to test if your graphics are readable for other people, especially for low-res art as they aren't used to it.

I'm happy to report that they had no problems recognizing what everything in the game was intended to be.

Atavismus

I like it!
It's solid, fun and neat.
Special mention for the pixel art.
Perfect for a jam or a MAGS. ;)
Congratz Pilchard!

Ghostcat

Great setting and super enjoyable.
p o l t e r g e i s t

josiah1221

I really enjoyed this as well, great job :)

Pilchard

Thank you all for yet more super encouraging comments! It's still a novelty for me to think of people playing a game I made. :) Some even recorded Let's Play videos, thanks to it being in the jam, which was fun too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk