MAGS June Special Edition "Rescue" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 26/05/2017 02:04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue From Despair
0 (0%)
Hang On
5 (17.2%)
Terror of the Vampire!
7 (24.1%)
The Rotary Club
1 (3.4%)
The Robolovers
10 (34.5%)
Bury Me in the Sand
3 (10.3%)
Bustin' the Bastille
0 (0%)
The Forgotten City
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: Mon 17/07/2017 00:49:19

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

• The Robolovers by  Brane and Tycho -  10 votes

Well done Brane and Tycho. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for August.

Thanks to all the participants and voters. What a brilliant month. You guys rock!

Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue From Despair
by DBoyWheeler
Hang On
by Pilchard
Terror of the Vampire!
by Scavenger and Eggie
The Rotary Club
by Mandle
The Robolovers
by Brane and Tycho
Bury Me in the Sand
by Funkpanzer
Bustin' the Bastille
by Blondbraid and Creamy
The Forgotten City
by SilverSpook

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll at the top of this page.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: July 16th

This month's Topic: Rescue
This month's guidelines were set by Slasher

This month's MAGS is all about rescue.

It could be rescuing anything from Grandma's secret Apple pie recipe that has accidentally gone out with the trash to saving refugees from a war-torn location. Maybe even rescuing your job or pride...

As long as it's about rescuing it's in.

Let's hope we can get more people to enter, so no restrictions apart from subject.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Nixxon

Cool theme! Anyone keen on a collaboration?

Happy to spin out some backgrounds if anyone wants to handle sprites and programming? I can contribute to dialog/story/puzzles/music.

Nice head start in any event.

DBoyWheeler

I'm willing to be a proofreader, or perhaps help bounce ideas on refining a story.

[Edit] Actually... maybe, just maybe, I might be able to participate.  Since I've been gaining adoptables from the art website I'm on (er, long story), I can use MAGS to have one of my new characters star in a game for the first time.

Specifically, a cute angel cake skunk gal I have.

Finding a way to mix her "heavenly sweet" nature with the MAGS theme of "rescuing"...

Two words:

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Interesting theme . cant wait to see what eye candy nixxon comes up with.

good luck to all the entries , may the force be with you and may it be strong!

DBoyWheeler

May it indeed.

Besides, since MAGS rules include using "all-new assets" (except perhaps music and sound fx), I figured it'd be a great way to set a debut for the character, and then some of those assets can be used in a future non-MAGS game. (Yeah, that's the ticket!)

So anyway, I plan to start writing some ideas down this coming Monday... give me a little time for brainstorming.  But I do already have in my head the main idea of the plot for mine--basically, this angel character I have is trying to cheer up a really sad young boy, and thus"rescue the young child from his own despair", in some way (I'm sure that'd fit the rescue theme).

Stupot

Thanks for the show of interest, guys.

DBoy, that's as good a definition of 'rescue' as any. All the best.

DBoyWheeler

I've pretty much completed the brainstorming session for my game.  God willing, around Thursday (June 1st!) I'll start working on the main character's sprites.

But the title for the game I plan to make for MAGS is "Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue from Despair".

Rosaura Docelestial is an anthropomorphic skunk angel girl, the "angel cake" from a list of adoptables I gained in an art trade (er, long story).  When I got her, I wanted to give her a Portuguese name.  "Rosaura" obviously meaning "rose", and her last name "Docelestial" is a portmanteau of the Portuguese words "doce" ("sweet") and "celestial" ("heavenly").  So, "heavenly sweet".  And her nature best reflects it.

And as I said in a previous post (and as hinted in the subtitle), her mission is to rescue a young child from his own despair.  To do so, she needs to prepare three things to give for the young boy's birthday.  Hopefully more will be posted as I work on them.

Riaise

That sounds good, DBoyWheeler! I'm looking forward to playing it! ;-D

I have an idea which I'm trying to work into something feasible. I have a vague plot and no puzzles, so I'll see how I go with it. (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Ahm... I'm Portuguese and I have never heard that name... so I checked... I'll give you that it's listed on the Wiki, however it's not even mentioned on the official listing.... :-\
you can check the official list here: http://www.irn.mj.pt/sections/irn/a_registral/registos-centrais/docs-da-nacionalidade/vocabulos-admitidos-e/downloadFile/file/Lista_de_nomes2017-03-31.pdf?nocache=1491571447.75

However, a good Portuguese name always has 2 first names, So if you name her "Rosa Aura" or "Aura Rosa" you will get away with it, since they are both accepted names. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

I would like to try participating as a... background artist. I am not very experienced, but if I give it enough time and devotion, sometimes I can come up with something like this:
http://imgur.com/tVvr6D3

Assuming you like that kind of drawing style, and do not plan having big number of backgrounds (because I am not experienced to draw fast).

Stupot

Keep spreading the word. Today is the day the contest would've started so your head start is over. You still have 30 days to go and seeing as this is a super extended edition, the deadline could also be super flexible if needed.

@CW - Nice BG, Crim. I wanna play a game that looks like that.

Who has a story idea and can help CW and Nixxon find teams?

@Riaise - glad to see you're considering something.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 31/05/2017 22:22:46

However, a good Portuguese name always has 2 first names, So if you name her "Rosa Aura" or "Aura Rosa" you will get away with it, since they are both accepted names. ;)

I looked up the name from Babynology.com--"Rosaura" was in the list of Portuguese names.

Gurok

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Thu 01/06/2017 01:02:25
I looked up the name from Babynology.com--"Rosaura" was in the list of Portuguese names.

I think you should trust the Portuguese person on this one.

I have a question, Stu. I made a Baywatch thing two weeks ago:

Would it be alright to reuse some parts of this intro with a different song and make a Baywatch-inspired game? "Bay Rescue" or "Rescue Watch", something like that. I had no idea it would be relevant to this month's MAGS theme when I was making it. I was just making it for fun, but it seems like a good opportunity to turn it into something more. I'm also not sure if I'll have time to participate.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

Quote from: Gurok on Thu 01/06/2017 01:57:01
I have a question, Stu. I made a Baywatch thing two weeks ago:
Would it be alright to reuse some parts of this intro with a different song and make a Baywatch-inspired game? "Bay Rescue" or "Rescue Watch", something like that. I had no idea it would be relevant to this month's MAGS theme when I was making it. I was just making it for fun, but it seems like a good opportunity to turn it into something more. I'm also not sure if I'll have time to participate.
Yeah, it should be alright. As long as it's different enough. I like the sound of a Baywatch-ish game.

Cassiebsg

[/quote]

Well, either don't announce it as "Portuguese name" or take base on the list I post. That is an OFFICIAL list name of approved and reproved names. In Portugal you can't just name your baby any crazy name you like, if it's not in the list, you'll have to submit it to approval, and chances are high that it will be rejected if it sounds "too weird", can be confusing or does not sound Portuguese. Don't look at me, I didn't made the law, but that's the law we have. (roll) Not to say that "Rosaura" would be rejected, just that it might. As I said, I wonder why Rosa isn't on the list , even though it's a solid Portuguese name, and I had a friend named Rosa in school (I have a feeling that the list might be build with base on the submitted names for that year, and that might explain with Rosa isn't in there).

I checked your site, and the very first Portuguese name, "Aaron", is on the list I posted... as REJECTED... so don't take that site as the Bible of truth.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

Well, semantics of names aside, I'm currently working on the character sprites in my game.

Since for time constraints, I'm sticking with the walking, talking, and give/take sprites, this shouldn't take too long...

[Update] I've finished making the sprites for the main character.  When I made them, I had the sprites separate to upload into AGS, but afterwards, I decided to make a sprite sheet so you can see what she looks like.

Spoiler
[close]

Yeah, I know the side view looks slightly different than the front view, as far as her face goes--didn't realize the eff up till it was too late to fix it.  If/when I do another AGS game of Rosaura Docelestial (one that isn't MAGS), I'll try to do better.

And also, I didn't intend to make her look slightly pudgy, but didn't wanna make her look anorexic either.  I guess when you're forced to go solo, there are gonna be some errors here and there...

Funkpanzer

I'm working on a short mellodrama currently titled "Bury Me in the Sand" about a young studly lifeguard on his last days at the beach.

DBoyWheeler

Nice.  It's great this MAGS is gaining momentum, isn't it?

Pilchard

Funkpanzer: Very much looking forward to playing that! I love the art style, with those super saturated colours.

I'm hoping to enter this month too. I probably won't have that much spare time, but I'm sure I can put something together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk