MAGS June Special Edition "Rescue" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 26/05/2017 02:04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue From Despair
0 (0%)
Hang On
5 (17.2%)
Terror of the Vampire!
7 (24.1%)
The Rotary Club
1 (3.4%)
The Robolovers
10 (34.5%)
Bury Me in the Sand
3 (10.3%)
Bustin' the Bastille
0 (0%)
The Forgotten City
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: Mon 17/07/2017 00:49:19

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 04/07/2017 07:46:59
Some story sequences while you are shopping would add to the experience, even if it's just text. And a helicopter that turns around when going left ;)

I actually planned to have a "story mode" for the game, but no time. In the "deluxe" edition for sure though!

And, actually the helicopter does change directions but only after reaching a bit of speed in that direction. This was to simulate the way a helicopter can hover/fly backwards during delicate maneuvers like a rescue.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 03/07/2017 14:38:52
Now, go and play June's games!

SIR, YES SIR!!!

All downloaded and ready to go!

Such an orgy of gaming do I have planned for tonight and tomorrow!

The perfect way to kick back after the insane rush of work right at the end to get my own entry finished, playable, and bug-free!

Such a great feeling to be able to relax and see what everyone else has been sweating over!

***EDIT***

Comments on all games:

RoboLovers:
Spoiler

WOW! I just finished playing... It took me about and hour and a half I think, but a lot of that time was just exploring all the options the game gave and enjoying the world instead of rushing through every solution to just get to the ending...

I LOVED the end credits! And I actually think
Spoiler
you should leave all the grammar errors in the game as they are explained there and it's a funny joke... Also loved all the references hidden in the credits, although I think I only got about half of them... But, you cheeky bastards: "Dolly: An Android Dreaming Of Electric Sheep"...I wonder how many players get the double-reference there? Insanely clever!
[close]

I had an awesome time and felt at times like I was playing a short Wadget Eye game. All it needs is some good voicing and slightly (and I mean slightly) more polishing on some parts and it would be at that level! I wonder if Dave Gilbert would consider including a short game such as this one with one of their releases like Pixar adds a short film to their theatrical releases/DVDs...

I loved the bots and they reminded me of my childhood obsession with the bot from Disney's "The Black Hole" (V.I.C.T.O.R?)... I believe he was mentioned in the credits?

A lot of
Spoiler

2001 references, but for me that was a good thing, especially "Something wonderful"...
[close]

I haven't played all the games from this MAGS yet, but they are gonna have to be really something special to beat yours!

Thanks for the great time! You guys rock!
[close]

Bustin' The Bastille:
Spoiler

CHARMING!!! I got as far as to:

Spoiler
...sew the white flag into the middle of the current French flag to make the current one (VERY FUNNY *AND* OFFENSIVE...LOVE IT!!!), but could get no further... I feel like I have to attach the flag to the broom to wave it around and rally the crowd, but it just doesn't happen no matter how many interactions I try... If this is a game-breaking bug then please let me know...If not, then just tell me so and no hints because I want to solve it if it's not a bug...
[close]

I just finished the game and it was truly a wonderful treat, especially the
Spoiler
slapstick comedy and final reveal of the ending!
[close]

Yeah, some "video-game logic" was a bit of a problem at points and I got heartily stuck two or three times because of such issues, always wondering if I had perhaps broken the game by doing something out of order, but it all worked out in the end.

AWESOME GAME, with perhaps just a bit more work needed to perfect its gameplay, but no further work needed to perfect its charm!
[close]

Terror Of The Vampire:
Spoiler

Well, what can anyone even say after playing this game?

Except perhaps: "I can't believe I got to play this game for free!!!"?

This is the most incredible MAGS game I have ever played AND also ranks now as one of my favorite games of all time!

Apart from the incredible graphic design, special effects, and animation which all draw the player into the game world:

Spoiler
The delicately crafted story arc of the main character from self-acclaimed know-it-all to self-admitted know-nothing-but-willing-to-listen is both profound and moving...

I got so choked-up emotionally during the final scene that I forgot I was playing a game. I was that invested in seeing everything end right for everyone.
[close]

In fact, this game is so masterful that I almost don't want to vote for it, because that just feels like backing the sure winner over a potentially deserving underdog... (Reminds me of when Heroine's Quest came along and crushed Donald Dowell at the AGS awards)

But, if I'm to be honest, I think I must vote for this game at the moment... (*Sob*, sorry RoboLovers, I still love you dearly!)

I haven't yet played another two games yet so who knows, right? But...wow...Just WOW!
[close]

Bury Me In The Sand:
Spoiler

I just finished the game and played it on the HiRes Graphics mode as intended by the author I believe...
First of all: I wouldn't have thought that such bold colours would not get tired on the eye at all after even an hour of playing, but you pulled it off!
And: What an interesting world! The non-gender-standard names and relationships and also the mysterious year numberings and other world-building hints makes me think this might take place after some kind of global disaster?
Is that the Great Wall Of China visible in the background?!
All very intriguing and also a real treat of a game to play! I can't wait for the full version!
[close]

Forgotten City:
Spoiler

A brief and obviously incomplete journey back into the amazing cyberpunk world, SilverSpook, the author of this series is creating.

I love that we get to see this new facet of this world through the eyes of a sarcastic teen survivor of whatever "F-Day" was (voice acting is spot-on!) rather than the hard-boiled eyes of our previous hero...

The game-play is limited in this demo but, more than the gameplay, I LOVE this game world!!!

I can't vote for this game this time around because it's obviously not complete yet but, at the same time, I'm most excited about this game for where its story is headed in the future releases!

AMAZING!
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 04/07/2017 10:22:23

Bustin' The Bastille:
Spoiler

Spoiler
...sew the white flag into the middle of the current French flag to make the current one (VERY FUNNY *AND* OFFENSIVE...LOVE IT!!!), but could get no further... I feel like I have to attach the flag to the broom to wave it around and rally the crowd, but it just doesn't happen no matter how many interactions I try... If this is a game-breaking bug then please let me know...If not, then just tell me so and no hints because I want to solve it if it's not a bug...
[close]
[close]
Nope. Not game breaking. I finished the game and absolutely loved every minute of it.

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 04/07/2017 17:37:00
Quote from: Mandle on Tue 04/07/2017 10:22:23

Bustin' The Bastille:
Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
[close]
Nope. Not game breaking. I finished the game and absolutely loved every minute of it.

Okay... good news then... I go back to play it again!

Creamy

Mandle, I can only advise you to
Spoiler
look for hotspots in places you haven't (no pixel-hunting, I promise).

QuoteI feel like I have to attach the flag to the broom to wave it around and rally the crowd
The reason why this doesn't work is :
Spoiler
video game logic :P I don't like when point and clicks overlook obvious solutions. We're guilty of it here.
[close]
There should have been a cutscene to explain why you can't use the pole of the white flag in the first place. It will be in the next version.
[close]
I finished the game and absolutely loved every minute of it.
Thanks Shadow, that's good to hear!

I'll post some reviews tonight.

Mandle

Is anyone else having trouble downloading/playing "Bury Me In The Sand"?

I get a "checksum" error or something when I download. Bitzipper unzips the folder properly. But when I try to run the game it says it's not a windows exe and won't run.

EDIT: Just finished "Bustin' The Bastille" and completed my comment on it above.

SilverSpook

Having a great time with 'Bury Me In The Sand'!  But now I'm stuck where

Spoiler
I need to give Earnie something to me by. Is there a way to get past this part of the game?
[close]

Stupot

@SilverSpook
Spoiler
I'll give you a clue, but it'll cost you.
[close]

Mandle

Just finished "Terror Of The Vampire" and added comment above...

Also: Tomorrow I'm going to print out the poster, laminate it, and hang it on my wall!

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/07/2017 14:07:39
Just finished "Terror Of The Vampire" and added comment above...

Also: Tomorrow I'm going to print out the poster, laminate it, and hang it on my wall!

Good idea! I knew there was a reason I bought that laminator.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 05/07/2017 14:40:59
Good idea! I knew there was a reason I bought that laminator.

Lamination brings out the colours so much sharper!

kconan

Wow, lots of high quality entries this MAGS go-round!  Nice job!

Tabata

Such a lot of really well done games 8-0
I am still playing and enjoying the entries - just cool stuff so far (nod)

But I feel the need to tell you right now that (again) I feel confirmed:
If a mouse is involved (even if it is named Pedro) the game is top notch 

... but also
Spoiler
... the kissing scene at the beach ...
[close]
... was a cute surprise and nicely done
... and now I have to storm the Bastille (tricky  flag pimping awaits me) (laugh)

You don't know what I am talking about?
Shame on you! Start playing the MAGS games, have fun - and (maybe) understand  :wink:

This will be sooo hard to vote

Stupot

I'm pretty much at the end of Terror of the Vamipre at the moment. Loved the game so far. Great characters, and fun puzzles but I'm a tad stuck:

Spoiler
I'm in the tower, at the top of the cogs and the pole but I can't work out how to get to the ledge.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 06/07/2017 01:20:11
I'm pretty much at the end of Terror of the Vamipre at the moment. Loved the game so far. Great characters, and fun puzzles but I'm a tad stuck:

Spoiler
I'm in the tower, at the top of the cogs and the pole but I can't work out how to get to the ledge.
[close]

Yeah it's a bit confusing:
Spoiler
You have to either "use" or "move" the lever, I forget which, but one works and the other gives a kind of misleading "hint" that sounds like have to do something else first.
[close]

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 06/07/2017 01:27:01
Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 06/07/2017 01:20:11

Spoiler
[close]

Yeah it's a bit confusing:
Spoiler
You have to either "use" or "move" the lever, I forget which, but one works and the other gives a kind of misleading "hint" that sounds like have to do something else first.
[close]
Spoiler
There's a lever? Haha. I'll have another look. Thanks
[close]

Mandle

Updated my game comments above to include "Bury Me In The Sand"...

Gonna go play "Forgotten City" now!

Riaise

OK, I've finally finished them all. Here's some comments:

Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue From Despair by DBoyWheeler

Spoiler
This game has a lovely story and fits the rescue theme very nicely. The puzzles were well thought out and the music worked well to add the right kind of atmosphere. There is a nice range of characters to interact with, too. The biggest downside I found was that the sideways walking animation made the character move quite slowly, although the up/down animations were fine. It would have been nice to see a bit more detail in the backgrounds, like more furniture, paintings on the walls, etc. Well done!
[close]

Hang On by Pilchard

Spoiler
Really charming little game. The graphics are wonderful and the puzzles worked really well. The game fitted the theme really well and was very enjoyable. I do agree with others that some background music, or ambient sounds, could have added to the overall atmosphere of the game, but everything else was just about perfect!
[close]

Terror of the Vampire! by Scavenger and Eggie

Spoiler
A great game, with plenty of funny moments. The graphics and animations are fantastic, especially the character portraits. The puzzles are also very good and the story is actually fairly poignant beneath the jokes. It's just a shame about the bugs that are still there. With just a bit more testing, this game could be brilliant!
[close]

The Rotary Club by Mandle

Spoiler
This is a great idea, and fits the theme really well. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the hang of it (which is my own fault, rather than the game). Great music, though!
[close]

The Robolovers by Brane and Tycho

Spoiler
Really great graphics and animations. The puzzles were OK, although it would have been nice to have a bigger variety. The music fitted really well with the atmosphere and the overall quality of the game was really good.
[close]

Bury Me in the Sand by Funkpanzer

Spoiler
Nice graphics, with really good animations and sound effects which worked very well. The puzzles are bit simple, although the solution to finding the code was a neat idea, and the story itself is sweet. It would have been nice to have had a proper ending, but I understand you wanted to leave it open so you could link up the events with an existing game. Overall, great work!
[close]

Bustin' the Bastille by Blondbraid and Creamy

Spoiler
The graphics and animations are all very good, and the music is nice, working well with the atmosphere of the game. There are some funny moments, too, which add nicely to the interesting story. I found the puzzles a bit patchy, I was clicking randomly at times to try and find something to do, and I wasn't a fan of the cannonball run section, but overall the game is very enjoyable.
[close]

Forgotten City by SilverSpook

Spoiler
Interesting story, with some good music. The backgrounds looked great, and although the gameplay itself was a bit short, I did like the heat-vision mechanic. Great work!
[close]

Really well done, everyone. All of the games fit the theme in such different ways. It's really good to be able to play so many entries, too. You should al be really proud of yourselves for what you've all achieved. :)

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Thu 06/07/2017 14:35:18
The Rotary Club by Mandle

Spoiler
This is a great idea, and fits the theme really well. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the hang of it (which is my own fault, rather than the game). Great music, though!
[close]

I'm a bit bummed out by this comment to be honest. I would like to ask how much time did you spend on trying to learn to fly the helicopter? Did you just crash a few times and then give up? I understand that going back to the main menu and trying again is time-consuming and tedious (my bad there, as I got so good at piloting during my own testing that I didn't consider repeating that over and over as a new player would get annoying)...

I stood behind a student of mine today and taught him to fly the heli in about 5 minutes (in English of course...it's an English lesson... :-D ) and then he could fly it masterfully...

I'm a bit bummed out, still... Could you give it another try?

Mandle

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 05/07/2017 21:30:37
Spoiler

... but also the kissing scene at the beach was a cute surprise and nicely done
[close]

Tabby, maybe hide-tag this comment... I hadn't played the game yet and this was a bit too much of a spoiler for my taste... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk