MAGS June Special Edition "Rescue" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 26/05/2017 02:04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue From Despair
0 (0%)
Hang On
5 (17.2%)
Terror of the Vampire!
7 (24.1%)
The Rotary Club
1 (3.4%)
The Robolovers
10 (34.5%)
Bury Me in the Sand
3 (10.3%)
Bustin' the Bastille
0 (0%)
The Forgotten City
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: Mon 17/07/2017 00:49:19

Blondbraid

I've finally played all the entries this MAGS, and here are my thoughts on them:

Rosaura Docelestial
+ A very sweet story and protagonist
+ Good pacing and puzzles, I never felt stuck or frustrated
+ Good music
- The visuals were not very impressive, and especially the walk-cycle of the protagonist looked jerky and weird
- The characters felt like they had too much funny accents
All in all pretty good for a first game!

The Robolovers
+ Good graphics
+ Good music
+ Good puzzles
- The robot puns got rather tired after a while
- I very much agreed on Funkpanzer's criticism of the game's story and humor
- The timed puzzle towards the end felt a bit too stress-inducing
Even if I didn't like the jokes and story, its still a very well-crafted game

HangOn
+ Charming characters and story
+ Good pixel-art
+ Fun and well-paced puzzles
- The choice of colors felt a bit dull
- No ambiance sound or background music
It's a cute and funny little game.

The Rotary Club
+ Interesting controls for the helicopter
+ The sound effects and music put a smile on my face
- No story
- Every time I crashed the helicopter, I had to start over from the beginning. And that included seeing the tutorial over and over again.
This game was pretty fun to play with, if not very memorable

Terror of the Vampire!
+ Superb artwork
+ Fantastic story and characters
+ Good music
+ A very intense ending sequence
- It was really hard to figure out what to do in the first half of the game, it felt like I just wandered around aimlessly throwing everything at the wall seeing what would stick.
Now even if the puzzles in the first half of the game felt weak, it more than made up for it once the protagonist moved out of the tavern and into the clock-tower. The ending was powerful and well made, and this game is definitively my favorite entry of this MAGS.

Forgotten City
+ Amazing artwork
+ An interesting setting and premise
+ A protagonist with many interesting abilities to play around with
- Just a short demo
I liked Forgotten City very much, but it was a very short demo

Bury Me In The Sand
+ Great artwork and animations, it looked amazing with the HD-filter
+ Interesting character dynamics and dialogues
- It was easy to accidentally get stuck in a dead end
- For some reason, some of the character sprites look like their arms are missing
- It ended abruptly with a "To be continued" message
The game was fun and had a very memorable style.

cat

I just extracted "Bustin' the Bastille" but wow, this game is huge - 1,3 GB! 8-0
I understand that you also want to provide a Linux version, but this would be better done with a separate download link. Now all game data (including the video) is in the rar package 3 times!

Creamy

True. I was under pressure and took a bad decision. It will be changed in the next version.

Cassiebsg

Bury Me In The Sand:
Spoiler

Lovely game, loved the art, good job! (nod)
Was a nice walk in the beach, and I'm just sorry that we didn't really get to the "rescue" part. :~(
Puzzles were nice, but not overly complicated.
[close]

Bustin' the Bastille:
Spoiler

Awesome game set in an historical time, loved it. :-D
I too suffered a bit from the lack of reactions, and was stuck for a while running back and forth wondering how to get that blasted white flag... I'm not sure what triggered the dialog, as I was sure I had looked and tried to pickup the flag before... ???
And then when I thought it was over, the cannon balls inside were a blast and the puzzles inside the Bastille fun and well balanced... (nod) Loved the end! And I'm wondering if it was possible to fail there... (wtf)
Spoiler
Funny how two unrelated games in this MAGS, make use of a turning table. (laugh)
[close]
[close]

Forgotten City:
Spoiler

Awesome art, setting and game play, great work, even for a short game promises a lot. And I was glad to see I didn't instantly died when letting the robot see me. (nod)
Voice acting top notch.
Very well done... I'm just wondering where the "rescue" part of the game was? (roll)
[close]

Hang On:
Spoiler

Again, a second lovely light hearted game from you, lovely pixel art, nice story and very clear goals with not too hard puzzles. Well done!
[close]

Robolovers, The:
Spoiler

Awesome art, just top! Great little story, this game felt very polished and complete to me. Loved the puzzles, there were just a few hotspots/reactions missing. I wasn't a fan of the two occasions where the 4th wall was broken, and I see no real need for it, as there would have been a better and perfectly rational reply for both. :-\
Spoiler

And I didn't really got why I couldn't enter the P.I.M.P.'s cubicle, through the door, since it was wide open... :P
[close]
PS. Loved the credits! (nod) And I'm so glad I read them all, lol. Thanks. (nod)
[close]

Rosaura Docelestial: Rescue From Despair:
Spoiler

Lovely game! (nod) Very sweet story, clear goals and nice with a variety of locations. The music was also very fitting. Puzzles were simple and not too hard, which balanced just fine with the overall of the game.
I do fell you could have spent some of the extra time polishing the art, as the main character deserved a proper walk-cycle, IMHO.
Still, it was refreshing playing this leaving one with a sense of having done a good dead. (nod)
[close]

Rotary Club, The:
Spoiler

Again, Mandle pushes the engine beyond it's intention, and creates a cool game... for the the wrong audience. (laugh)
I'll be sure to try the game again, if certain things are fixed and we get an hard/easy mode... like many the lack of checkpoint and perma-death is an off for me. It's the reason I never actually played many action games, as starting all over was too much for me.
I did managed to fly the Helli nice and stable and rescue a couple ppl (and the spacebar doesn't seem to work btw :( ), but I gave up when I was hovering right above a guy, I lowered the winch to rescue the guy and the winch just went past the guy as if he wasn't there. >:( Now I do get it that you can't rescue if the winch is too high... but there's no reason for it to just go past the guy and not pick him up...

Still, a very nice game for the right audience. ;)
[close]

Terror Of The Vampire:
Spoiler

Awesome, just awesome! Lovely art, lovely story, great puzzles and interesting game play and effects. (nod)
For me this game suffered of a lack of reactions/reply from hotspots, as I wanted to leave and couldn't understand why it just wouldn't leave. Also had some problem getting Ego into the kitchen as I clicked he would walk there, but then didn't exit to the kitchen.
I ended up doing stuff without knowing why I was doing them, and I never did get my supper! But was nice to be able to do the stuff "out of order"... (roll)
[close]

I ended up voting for Robolovers, as it's the one game that felt complete (and it's sci-fi on top of it! (laugh) ). But was a close call with Terror Of The Vampire.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

Wow!
Spoiler
Robolovers caught up with Terror of the Vampire in the voting!
[close]
I'm surprised!  This is gonna be a close one!

Mandle

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sat 15/07/2017 20:39:05
Wow!
Spoiler
Robolovers caught up with Terror of the Vampire in the voting!
[close]
I'm surprised!  This is gonna be a close one!

Impressive voting turnout too!

Slasher

Ooo eeee

So many entrants this month...

I have had a lot of fun playing them...

Choosing a winner was so difficult. Each had their own merits with pros and cons...

Unique Innovation / Graphical Looks / Game Play....

There were four I think stood out from the rest....

Not naming any but I think I have made up my mind and have voted...

My hat's off to all entrants and commiserations to the ones that do not win..

Above all they were done in such a short space of time which I admire greatly...

The winner deserves a place in MAG's History...

May this be the start of MAG utopia... (nod)

slasher

DBoyWheeler

I'll say!

Spoiler

And as of this post, Robolovers overtook Terror of the Vampire.  Seriously, prior to this turn of events, I thought TotV was going to win this month!

Also, my game didn't get a vote.  But neither did Bustin' the Bastille--which is a shame because I liked it, especially the hilarious ending.
[close]

Well, to Stupot, I want to say, there are times MAGS has a big turnout (like this time around), and there are times where maybe two or three (at most) come in.  But either way, MAGS is one of those great competitions that deserves to stay with us.

Jack

Congratulations Pangaea and xBranex!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi folks,

I am quite overwhelmed by this , but i fought back the sleep (late here) to post my thanks to all who entered, everybody who played the games, and everybody who voted, also to the wonderful host.
I would like to say more tomorrow when I am a bit more awake and less numb from the feeling of being involved in winning something like this.

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

• The Robolovers by  Brane and Tycho -  10 votes

Well done Brane and Tycho. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for August.

Thanks to all the participants and voters (all 29 of you). What a brilliant month. You guys rock!

DBoyWheeler

Wow!  Yeah, congrats Brane & Tycho.

Man, early on, I thought Scavenger was gonna win it with Terror of the Vampire, but somehow Robolovers had the energy to pull through.

Anyway, again, props to those two!  Let's see what cool theme they can make up come August!

Slasher

Congratulations Brane and Tycho for The Robolovers.

I thought this was a lovely game and the graphics superb.

Keep it up...... (nod)

Hope to see you both working again ;)

Commiserations to those that did not win... There were a few entries that deserve their own merits...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Words can never justify how grateful to this forum I really am but I will try anyway.

Before I joined this forum about 3 months ago I was kind of at a low spot with my life, I had lost direction.
I really did not know where I was going and was contemplating abandoning working with graphics and game design.

Ever since joining this forum and meeting the wonderful folks on it my life has taken a complete and utter u-turn.
Above all its the encouragement and feedback this forum has given me that has re-ignited a fire in me that i really in all honestly thought was at the point of being extinguished.

With regards the MAGS none of it would have been possible without Brane and much has Brane already knows how appreciative I was with working with him I would not have found him without this forum, and I am sure Brane will have a few words to say himself.

Alas, I also feel really bad for the others that put just as much if not more passion, dedication, work and time into their entries and would strongly encourage them to keep producing magic because seeing the fantastic projects on this forum no matter what level they are at primarily inspired me to try it out myself.
When Brane and myself first started considering entering we both honestly thought we might be up against perhaps 2 or 3, but it became apparent early that this MAGS was going to explode with entries. I was also sort of aware that the MAGS had been suffering a bit of a slow down in recent months so not only have you guys produced wonderful games but also, hopefully, heavily contributed to a new interest in MAGS which I hope continues and on that note I would also like to thank Stupot+ for being a wonderful host and also to Slasher for the awesome theme to work around.

I think for me personally lady luck has played a big part too, and I would like to see the luck I have been getting brush off on others, for this reason I am going to bow out of entering any more contests for a while because I know lady luck cant get around to everyone at the same time, but I will continue to vote and offer feedback, it will also give me the opportunity to finally give feedback's on projects and games I have not had time to consider due to this forum keeping me so dam busy :)

Well sorry for the soppy post but I'm sure for some of you this is just another month, just another mags, just another set of winners, a trivial occurrence, but for me its like winning the lottery, or winning an oscar and I felt I needed to say a little more then I had last night in my previous post.

This community left me more confident then I have ever been in my life, and if lady luck is with me and if any of my ventures are a commercial success I promise to put something back in to AGS community to  help AGS develop even more. 

And too all, never give up, keep progressing, developing, learning, never be afraid to ask for help, keep making magic.

Riaise

That's a lovely post, Tycho. Congratulations to both you and Brane. ;-D

It's completely understandable that you'd want to take a break from entering contests for a while. I've only entered two MAGs before, but both times I've felt like zoning out for the next month or so. (laugh) So take all the time you need, but I hope you do enter some of the contests again in the future. And it's not all luck, you know. Your graphics are beautiful, and that's down to your own talent. People will always appreciate hard work when they see it.

Really well done to everyone else, too. You should all be hugely proud of yourselves just to have got your games finished, let alone to have made them as good as they all were. ;-D

Shadow1000

Congrats to Brane and Tycho on the well-deserved win. This really was an outstanding competition both in entries and votes.

Mandle

Massive congratz to the Robolovers team!

And also massive feels about Tycho's post! Thank you for sharing your potential downfall from and return to game-dev grace with us!

You have massive talent! Don't let the constant harping of life, and negative people around you, rob you of what you love to do! The world can be a very soul-destroying place and I've found that doing what you love, at least some of the time, can combat the flood of the other shitty stuff that can just make you feel like plugging yourself into an uncaring cycle of just giving up on your dreams one by one.

With your game you have touched the lives of all who play it for a brief time. This is the magic of creating something from nothing for both the maker and for those that experience it.

That being said: All entries this month were amazing and all showed a heartfelt commitment to express their vision to the player as best they could.

I have entered many a MAGS in my time, and I think I have often said that just by entering a "finished" game you have already won. And this is true...

But this time it's especially true. I will never forget this EPIC MAGS or the games that it inspired!

Thanks as always to Stupot+, and to Slasher, that Gandalf-looking git!

SilverSpook

Huge congrats to Tycho and Brane! And glad to hear that you've short-circuited the downward spiral of depression, man. :)

I was almost not going to enter this MAGS as I just coincidentally happened to start working on my second AGS game when Stupot announced the competition was starting early.  Mostly I just figured 'what the hell' and help fill out the ranks due to low turnout in May.  But I'm very, very glad I did enter, as this was certainly a MAGS for the history books.  After Neofeud I was just feeling swamped with the sales/marketing work and generally feeling more like a Lord Business than a David Sandberg, unsure of what exactly the next Silver Spook Game project would be.  But just having that encouragement and some friendly competition really helped light a creative as well as 'crunch-mode' fire for me too.  So thanks AGS community for that!

And thanks again and congrats to all entrants. Everyone really did an amazing job, truly! There was such a diverse set of unique entries and styles, yet all were great in their own way. It was really an excellent showcasing of the possibilities of the AGS engine, and how it still has a place even in 2017. 

Pilchard

Congratulations Tycho and Brane! Very worthy winners - and it's wonderful to hear it's represented such a U-turn for you personally, Tycho. I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with next.

Even though I didn't have as much time for my entry as I'd have liked (I was away on holiday at the end of June) the 'Rescue' theme was just too tempting, and I'm now really glad I took part in what turned out to be a particularly inspiring round of MAGS.  I've learnt a lot from playing all of the games submitted, trying to make constructive comments about them, and reading the feedback on my own game. I might not be ready to enter another MAGS straight away, but it's definitely something I'll return to.

Thanks to everyone who played through, commented on and even voted for Hang On, you're ace. :-D

My vote was actually for Bury Me In The Sand, but it was such a strong field, that wasn't an easy decision.

It'd be great to collaborate with some of you for some future MAGS!

Blondbraid

Congratulations Tycho and Brane!
It will be fun to see which theme you come up with!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk