Magic-8-Ball (MAGS ENTRY, MAY 2017)

Started by Mandle, Wed 31/05/2017 16:50:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

MAGIC-8-BALL

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Ask the Magic-8-Ball any YES or NO question and it will reply.
But tempting the fickle hand of fate too much could be a bad idea...

This is a game I made in pretty much exactly 4 hours start to finish right at the deadline for the May 2017 MAGS contest.

It is brief and rough, but I think I told the brief and rough story that I aimed for.

Comment if you enjoyed, or even if you didn't... And don't forget to vote in the MAGS thread in the Competitions forum after playing all entries.

Cheers!

Cassiebsg

Nice! Congrats on releasing one! (nod)
All I managed was a tittle... :-[
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

can a machine that only knows 1 or 0 really simulate real randomness?
Cool game! ;-D

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I have not really had much of a chance to explore around the forum much, so this weekend I intend to try out some of your games, May as well start with yours Mandle, looks interesting and well done for completing it

Do you have an interest in fractals by any chance? (your nick) :)

Mandle

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Fri 02/06/2017 18:16:19
Do you have an interest in fractals by any chance? (your nick) :)

Yeah, well spotted. My original online nick back in 1999 or so was Mandlebrot (misspelled) which I shortened.

Blondbraid

I played the game, and I must say, the ending was a fun and unexpected twist! 8-0

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 03/06/2017 12:48:48
I played the game, and I must say, the ending was a fun and unexpected twist! 8-0

Heh, thanks. I was wondering if anyone had actually found the ending or not.

I wanted to ask you:
(SPOILER ALERT)
Spoiler
Did you notice that the question you were typing was different to the one appearing on the screen straight away, or did it take some time? I was curious about this as some people look at the keyboard while typing and I was wondering if this would cause them to not notice.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Spoiler

I do look down at the keyboard while typing, but I also look up to check for spelling errors... besides I noticed that it wasn't typing what I was typing, when the spaces didn't match. (laugh)
Spoiler

Nice ending!
[close]
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 03/06/2017 13:28:43
I wanted to ask you:
(SPOILER ALERT)
Spoiler
Did you notice that the question you were typing was different to the one appearing on the screen straight away, or did it take some time? I was curious about this as some people look at the keyboard while typing and I was wondering if this would cause them to not notice.
[close]
I did find it out almost at once. However, it was a very unexpected turn, and quite amusing too.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

This was neat Mandle, I got some laughs out of it indeed, great for a coffee break game :D

Well done on getting it all complete again. look forward to seeing what you do on your next release, keep it up!

Mandle

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 03/06/2017 18:01:56
This was neat Mandle, I got some laughs out of it indeed, great for a coffee break game :D

Well done on getting it all complete again. look forward to seeing what you do on your next release, keep it up!

Cheers! I have actually done potentially better games than this that were made in more than just 4 hours...

I think my personal favorite might be "Feng Shui And The Art Of TV Reception" or possibly "Speed Buggy: Manifold Destiny"...

"The Smallest Points" is also a game I'm a bit proud of...

If you want something really different then have a look at "Predators Prey For Plants"...

Thanks though either way for playing this brief game and the feedback you gave!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

http://www.fractalforums.com/let's-collaborate-on-something!/point-and-click-adventure-side-scrolling-shooter-game/

Getting anything done in 4 hours is a pretty good achievement, good practice for working under pressure too!

That's cool you have an interest with fractals, I am big into them myself, in fact a bunch of years back I got the idea to make a point and click adventure exclusively using fractal backdrops and sprites (3d/4d)
http://www.fractalforums.com/let's-collaborate-on-something!/point-and-click-adventure-side-scrolling-shooter-game/
(The example tests are no longer online though), anyway I often thought of developing this idea a bit more and perhaps I will in the near future. I am sort of in the middle of a couple of projects that I hope will have me busy for the next while but If I ever do come back to this idea I might hit you up to see if you want to get involved in anyway, after all its not every day you come across a fractal AND p+c fan and its certainly not everyday you see a game based on fractals.

I'll PM you a link to my 3d(3d)/2d fractal galleries, though I have not done much with them in a couple of years now. thought you might like to see anyhow.

In the meantime keep up the good work dude :)

LostTrainDude

I didn't comment here yet!

It seems you have a knack for last-minute releases.
I think it's great! :D

Also, about the SPOILER
Spoiler
I don't look at my keyboard when writing, so I think I noticed right away that something was going not as expected!
[close]
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Mandle

Thanks guys for the new posts here!

@Tycho: Dude! Your work with 3D fractals is breathtaking! I can totally see a game with them as backgrounds and would want to be a part of it!

@LostTrainDude: Yeah, when the idea for the game hit me and I knew I had only 4 hours realistically to get it done I was excited and scared. It's the fastest I've worked with graphics aps, sound aps, and AGS itself EVER! And it was a huge rush during the making ("rush" used literally and figuratively here)... I'm glad I got it done and I like the little story, and the feeling the player hopefully gets when things start going "not as expected"... Playing with expectations is always great fun, especially when it works, which hopefully this did...

Pilchard

Well done Mandle! I just played this and thought it was cleverly done, good use of sounds too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk