BACKGROUND BLITZ: THE FINAL FIGHT - (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!)

Started by Rocchinator, Thu 08/06/2017 19:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Misj', do you work on professional comics/cartoon???? 8-0
If not, please do! I want to buy these comics! And yes, my first thought "Spirou?" (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Misj'

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 25/06/2017 14:12:32Misj', do you work on professional comics/cartoon?
If not, please do!
Who has the time? ;)

But no, as I have no formal background in anything related to illustration. I just happen to like it as a hobby (and I'm very happy in my current job, so I don't expect that to change).

I do want to explore this style a bit more, because it's one close to my heart and one that has really influenced me as a kid. And it felt really good (and liberating) after playing around with a more American- and animation-influenced style over the last...well...almost a decade I think.

Rocchinator

@Misj':shocked: :shocked: I'm speechless incredible entry here lots of details and atmosphere. Just like in the last contest you blown me away with your art. I can totally imagine whats is going on there, and its about to go down! (laugh) . Well Done! This contest is getting really interesting.

Nixxon

It's the last level!  Battle it out with the universes' most bad-ass, bad-ass! Using your keen senses and a myriad of spells, tricks and traps, can you be victorious? (before the batteries run out).

Edit - here's a link to the time lapse if anyone is interested. https://youtu.be/n8Ownebqqyo

Tracked time on the canvas is 7h 2m. Not sure if it calculates afk though :p

Rocchinator

@Nixxon Just beautiful! almost an arcade intergalctic fight hahaha. Wonderfull work here i was waiting for your entry so bad. Colorfull, Intense, very imersive. Fantastic job has always!

Nixxon

Thanks @ Rocc!

Stellar entries this month.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Absolutely jaw dropping work Misj' and Nixxon wowzers!

Unfortunately I wont be able to drop an entry in here this time, I really did want to and even started something a couple of days ago but its at such a basic state still I don't think it is suitable.
But all the entries are fantastic so far.

Rocchinator I will 100% enter your new color ball contest.

Rocchinator

@Tycho That`s a shame i would have love to see your background :sad: . But I totally wait for your color ball entry ;-D

Rocchinator

OK Amazing entries everyone now its time for voting till 4th of July. Let Go! :cheesy:

LIST OF ENTRIES

Blondbraid

DBoyWheeler

funnyboy044

lorenzo

Misj'

Nixxon

DBoyWheeler

Rocchinator

DBoyWheeler

That's better.  Now for my votes, and why.

Concept: funnyboy044.  Even as something crudely draw, it has a great feel of "moment of final suspense".  And as I said earlier, the skull reminds me of Sans from Undertale.
Playability: lorenzo.  Various "ways to die" in this, and if the mummy is not the final villain, maybe the evil sorcerer (or perhaps even a fallen god) could be the final battle.  That's my take, anyway.
Artistic Execution: Nixxon.  Almost like some sci-fi "run the gauntlet".  If not the main final battle, at least leading up to it.

funnyboy044

Here's my vote(not counting my entry of course):

Concept: Nixxon: This entry reminds of the ending to Space Quest IV and the screen in it makes it look like one of those fun minigames within a game. Also, the art is really impressive and almost wacky.
Playability: lorenzo: There's a lot of interesting things to use in this room, like the lever, the mummy, THE HUGE SNAKE PIT, etc.
Artistic Execution: Misj':This entry reminds me of a Dr. Seuss illustration(especially in the trees and shrubs).

Riaise

Concept: Nixxon
Playability: lorenzo
Artistic Execution: Misj'

For all the same reasons as mentioned so far throughout the thread. :)

dactylopus

Concept: Blondbraid - I love the idea of gunfighting a three-headed Aztec tamarin, and what more beautiful location for such a battle than between two waterfalls.  For a cobbling together of random photographs, a style I'm normally averse to, this came out surprisingly well.
Playability: lorenzo - I can imagine the spiked pillar was stopped by pulling the lever.  I can also imagine that an inventory item (or 2) helped to cross the snake pit, and that the sarcophagus was opened to reveal the villainous Mummy.  Great execution as well, this is a very appealing image.  With some more time, perhaps the flames could have been animated, pushing this into another level.
Artistic Execution: Misj' - This is beautiful, and so full of detail.  I love this take on a classic illustration style.  That said, I'd normally prefer a background without characters for a Background Blitz, and without the characters this is just a random part of a forest, but I'm such a fan of this style and this is wonderfully executed.

Well done, everyone!  Glad to see a good number of participants.

Danvzare

Concept: Nixxon  The TV screen is what sets it apart from the other entries.
Playability: lorenzo  It reminds me of a room from Broken Sword 3.
Artistic Execution: Misj'  I mean just look at it, I don't think I've ever seen anything so complicated on one of these contests.

selmiak

Concept: DBoyWheeler - I want to see what fight takes place under that bloody red moon
Playability: lorenzo - the path to go is well defined and spiced with traps, but you know what to do, which levers to pull and so, I would love to play around that scene :)
Artistic Execution: Misj' - beautiful art style. Please do more of that or even a spirou adventure!!!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Well done everyone on your amazing works. As usual this was painful for me , but here goes:

Concept: DBoyWheeler - Just love the platform in the sky idea, I can envisage things coming out from the clouds to grab the unfortunate opponents that got knocked off!
Playability: lorenzo - I can definitely see this being set into a game context. So many hazards and very well produced.
Artistic Execution: Misj' - This was real hard one for me, but I just love that detailing put in, its all so very well balanced too.

To the Others

Blondbraid - This is really a very very interesting idea , chopping up personal photos and making a game out of it, the result is excellent
funnyboy044 - Gives me a fate of atlantis vibe all the way, just love it!
Nixxon - Wowzers, another stunning entry. The colors are mesmerizing, and you know it reminds me a bit of a little known point and click called cosmic space head.. not sure if you have played it? Well done.

Absolutely outstanding work all around people, I cant wait to see what comes in the next background blitz.

kconan

Concept: Misj' - I really like the idea of an evil professor who mind-controls animals being cornered in a jungle.
Playability: lorenzo - I started pathfinding and puzzle solving as soon as I looked at this background.
Artistic Execution: Misj' - This is truly stunning; kudos.

Was tough choosing, great entries all around.

lorenzo

I hope I'm not too late to vote!

Concept: Blondbraid â€" your image gives me nostalgic feelings about all the hours (mis)spent as a kid playing fighting games. I'd love to play a Mortal Kombat stage set in your background!

Playability: DBoyWheeler â€" nice use of colour, great contrast between the red sky and clouds, and the blue platform. It's the perfect place for a fight against an evil wizard, with clear walkable areas and hotspots (I must destroy all the crystal to beat the final boss, right? I'll better save the game before trying it, just in case).

Artistic Execution: Nixxon â€" what an ingenious idea and great execution! It'd make a perfect background for some wacky cartoon â€" and I'd love to play around with that interface.

The other entries:

funnyboy044: your background has a very adventurous feeling. I like the contrast between the brown of the cave below and the yellow at the top.

Misj': what a lovely entry! It reminds me of the Franco-Belgian comics I used to read as a kid. Although, if you remove the characters, there isn't much to interact with in the background.
Still, a great image: if it were a comic, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk