The Front

Started by ddavey1983, Fri 23/06/2017 16:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

ddavey1983

Hello all.

The Front, my first adventure game (started as a novice 6 months ago) is now complete and downloadable on the site.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2165/

It's inspired by the early Sierra classics and is set in 1916. You are Billy Smith, a young British Soldier who finds himself in the middle of the carnage of the First World War.

There are no dead ends but you have to save early and often as danger is ever-present.

Feedback welcomed, it's not perfect but I'm pleased with it as a first go.

Shadow1000

I hit what seems to be a dead end. When you speak to Captain Barnes you can't leave the room. It says that you should find out what happened to Harry when you try and then you can keep talking to Barnes over and over but you can't leave the room.

Kumpel

@Shadow. The game is still in Debug-Mode. Just use ctrl+x to jump to an earlier room. I had the same problem with the right side of the trench ways where Harry is.
edit:

ah... yeah he even disabled the actions. Now it's unplayable, yeah.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Kumpel on Fri 30/06/2017 01:26:49
@Shadow. The game is still in Debug-Mode. Just use ctrl+x to jump to an earlier room. I had the same problem with the right side of the trench ways where Harry is.

I just tried that. Once you teleport to another room you can no longer walk.

Do you know how to
Spoiler
clean the latrine? The dry mop can't be used with the water barrel or the latrine... I already shaved myself but this didn't help me either...
[close]

Answer:
Spoiler
There is a broken rifle in the room to the far left where the wounded people are. You can use it as a mop handle and then use that on the water barrel
[close]

Thanks for the tip. I wonder how the testing was conducted before release.

SHADOW

ddavey1983

Hello

Apologies for this. Looks like I've made a right mess of it. I'll take it down and see what I can do with it.

How do I take it out of DeBug mode? I followed the tutorial instructions for compiling the game and it seemed to work fine when I downloaded it myself.

Thanks

ddavey1983

I've just checked the download and it seems to work fine. I've only found that you can't leave the east end of the trench before speaking to Barnes which is intentional.

Having said that I'm sure you're not all making it up so I'm genuinely confused now...

Blondbraid

I've played a bit further, but I'm stuck in the German mine
where you have to defuse a bomb, what shall I do to continue?

horusr

Just started to play game but I noticed something: winsetup.exe is for GW.exe file so doesnt works for renamed exe.

-my bad, you can go back, I don't know why I couldn't In first room if you go right, a room with friend waiting, you can't go back.
+And when I tried to use periscope with church I get this error: "prepare_script: error -18 (no such function in script) trying to run 'hchurch_UseInv' (Room 3)"
+If you press esc to skip intros early, game stops.

+ I have same problem as shadow 1000, I talk to him but can't leave room.
Ok, played again and it is ok if you go to room before shaving. If you shave before explosion, you stuck.

Oh, need sme help, I have loadedweapon but I don't know what to do to make it servicible?
I will edit after playing.

ddavey1983

Hello!

Ah good, so it's buggy but not completely broken. I can alter that that's not a disaster then... Also, I should have put in the documents, Space skips intros and cut scenes.

SPOILER

You need to clean the weapon before you load it. If you've already loaded it, you can unloaded by clicking itself in itself in the inventory.

As for the mine... Look for something that gives you clues as to how to diffuse it...

stepurhan

Quote from: ddavey1983 on Thu 06/07/2017 13:24:40
I've just checked the download and it seems to work fine. I've only found that you can't leave the east end of the trench before speaking to Barnes which is intentional.
Why?

You do need to speak to Barnes to find out what happened to your friend and progress the story. Most players will do that automatically anyway. But if they don't there is no reason they shouldn't be able to wander around freely looking for their friend themselves (and failing to find him) or trying to find other things to do. Locking the player into the room instead creates two unnecessary problems.

1. It breaks immersion, because there is no in-game reason you shouldn't be able to walk back down the trench.
2. It creates an extra risk of a game-breaking bug. More than one person has had trouble going back (I have the same problem horusr has struck-through. I can't go back if I follow my friend at the start). With so many people experiencing that issue, I can only assume that there is a problem with that (to my mind, unnecessary) blocking of the exit not clearing all the time.

I like the setting (the grim realities of a front-line soldier is a good subject) and, the criticism above notwithstanding, it is a lot better than many first attempts I've seen.

ddavey1983

I think I decided to do it because I thought it would be a bit odd if you could arrive at that scene and then just wander off. Having said that, I see what you mean about the immersion and the game-breaking potential.

Thanks for your feedback, its good to have honest criticism. I'm hoping to upload a less buggy version at some point in the near future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk