Hang On

Started by Pilchard, Sun 25/06/2017 08:43:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilchard

My entry for June MAGS, on the theme of 'Rescue', is:

HANG ON
Download

Martha is getting away from it all, up in the clouds on the lonely but peaceful slopes of the Trollspitze mountain. When a quick trip to the village below goes awry, who will come to her rescue? And is there any truth in the local legend of an abominable snowman?

Featuring:

• Two playable characters!
  • Sublime alpine scenery!
  • Vertiginous thrills!
  • Accurate bird audio from the public domain!

;-D Updated in October 2017 with added music, sound and minor gameplay improvements. ;-D

;-D Updated in March 2018 with French translation option (by Christophe Pallarès / @xtooph), start menu, and save/load interface ;-D

Stupot

Looks great, Pilch. I'll play it tonight.

Mandle

Gonna play this tomorrow with the same students that had a blast with The Tresure Of Loch Inch!

Man, your art is professional level! I love just looking at the bottle on that windowsill!

Click'd

Looks good, and only 1.38 MB. Wow.

Scavenger

I've been enjoying it so far! But I'm stuck:

Spoiler
I threw the two blue cups at the stalagtite and it fell down, but I still can't get the gear. I used every single inventory item on the stalagtite but nothing helped me climb it, I just got "it's too high to climb".
[close]

Pilchard

Scavenger:
Spoiler
You can pick up the stool from the chalet to help you reach the gear.
[close]
Glad you're enjoying it so far!

xBRANEx

I've finished the game and quite liked it! I recommend it to everyone.
Spoiler

I would definitely change the exit button on the gui because I was constantly pressing it to move the inventory.
I would most definitely add some mountain wind sound in the background (there must be a free sound somewhere). It would make the experience a lot better.

The game is quite polished and I didn't find any bugs or something similar. The amount of information the player can get from looking and interacting with things is also really great.

What I liked the most are your backgrounds, beautifully done!
[close]

Stupot

Just played it. Very nice.
Spoiler

As Brane said, it could definitely do with some background sounds, or a bit of gentle music, but still it's a lovely game.
[close]

Pilchard

Thanks for the feedback, all good points!

I ran out of time to do much in the way of audio in time for MAGS, unfortunately, as I'm busy with other things for the rest of this month. I did get as far as writing some nice theme music for each character, but my demo versions were a little too sketchy for me to be happy putting them in the game. Once I have time to do some more work on those tracks I'll probably update the game (enhanced edition!). The wind sound effect is a great idea, though - wish I'd thought of that.

Also cut for time was
Spoiler
a more complex version of the eagle puzzle, where different birds would appear randomly in different places around the mountain, and you'd have to use the bird book to identify the correct one to record.
[close]
:(

Click'd

Spoiler
I had a hard time finding the, uh, stick in the snow. I'd make it stand out more, maybe in red.
[close]
Not bad, not bad.

Kini

A really cute little game. As others have said, the art is great. I didn't encounter any bugs. Keep it up! :-D

josiah1221

Definitely a nice little gem! The art is fantastic, just add in some ambient sounds as mentioned and you got a fine piece of work here :)

Mandle

Just finished playing the game with a 4-year-old student. She really liked the eagle. Kept saying "It's so cute!".

Had a great time with the game and the lovely backdrops and puzzles that sometimes took a bit of thought!

I wish I could have visited the village! "It's so quaint!"

CaptainD

This looks great, definitely want to try it.  My first thought when I saw the thread title though was "wow someone's remade the motorcycling arcade classic in AGS!!" :-D(roll)  You should definitely do a sequel to this called Super Hang On.

Pilchard

Thanks everyone for playing this and for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

The arcade Hang On is news to me, Captain D - it looks great! :-D Road Rash on the Megadrive was more my era. Watch this space for Super Hang On...

Shadow1000

Outstanding game. Very attractive art. Great adaptation of the Rescue theme.

To me the best part was the well-designed puzzles. It's amazing what you can do in a short game done with time contraints.

The two-playable characters just adds to the overall polish of the game.

Cheers

SHADOW

DBoyWheeler

Really cute, and funny too!

Took me a few seconds to (I won't spoil it here) figure out the puzzles.  Just need to test out where to put cursors, I guess.

HanaIndiana

This was really fun! The art is great :grin: and so adorable.

Matti

Cute game, I enjoyed it a lot (though I got stuck like scavenger). The art style is really nice and I liked many other things about it too.

I'll definitely play your other game soon!

Blondbraid

It's a Lovely game, my only complaint is the complete lack of any music or ambiance sounds, but otherwise I liked it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk