Guess the TV show

Started by AnasAbdin, Mon 26/06/2017 21:48:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 23/01/2018 17:01:56
It's the Japanese adaptation of Ronja, isn't it?
That's right, your turn.

Snarky

I had the film version in the movie quiz a while back. It's a wonderful book.

For this one, I want the original title.

Danvzare

Snarky

Snarky

Nobody watching this? Hint 1: It's British. Hint 2: You may have seen the actress playing the main female role in a certain superhero show.

Frodo

Coronation Street?

Snarky

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 26/01/2018 12:52:38
Hollyoaks?
Quote from: Frodo on Sun 28/01/2018 18:04:00
Coronation Street?

Not sure what's making you think it's a soap opera. No, you're on the wrong track.

Another hint: It was canceled after one season/series, but then someone else bought the rights, retitled it (very much for the better!), and made it enough of a success that it was revived and is now up to Season 3.

Mandle

The Benny Hill Show!

Stupot

Danvzare

Snarky

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 28/01/2018 22:31:43
The Benny Hill Show!
Quote from: Stupot on Mon 29/01/2018 01:13:36
Brookside?
:-\
Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 29/01/2018 11:33:58
Dirk Gently?
No, but apart from that being an American series, it's a little closer, I guess.

New screen when I'm by a computer...

Danvzare

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 29/01/2018 13:39:32
Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 29/01/2018 11:33:58
Dirk Gently?
No, but apart from that being an American series, it's a little closer, I guess.
Well it did get one British season (of four episodes) before being cancelled and redone as an American series for two seasons.
So it seemed like a good fit.

Skins?

Snarky

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 29/01/2018 14:40:40
Well it did get one British season (of four episodes) before being cancelled and redone as an American series for two seasons.
So it seemed like a good fit.

Fair enough, though those were really just two separate adaptation attempts (I wasn't even aware of the British one) rather than the same series being revived.

QuoteSkins?

Nope, but again getting closer.

Snarky

Hmm, did not expect this to be so difficult, given that the last screenshot shows all the main characters clearly.

I had to edit out the actual title of the show in this shot, which is something of a clue in itself:

Snarky

Really, no one has seen this?

Time for some last-ditch hints, I suppose:

-It's a Netflix show now, originally it ran on Channel 4
-It's a rom-com/sitcom set in Glasgow (though I don't think any of the main cast do the accent)
-You might recognize several members of the cast in the last few screens from Misfits

And if that's not enough...

Spoiler
The poster in the screenshot above this one is a major clue.
[close]

Frodo

Snarky

Frodo

Lovesick: Le Orginagelee  :tongue:

Scrotal Recall :wink:

Snarky

Correct!

It's a good series: funny and quite sweet, with a neat flashback structure. Since nobody seems to have heard of it: A chronic romantic is diagnosed with chlamydia, and has to contact all his past sexual partners to tell them to get tested. As he awkwardly reconnects with his exes, the show looks back at each relationship, gradually filling in the history that has brought him and his friends to where they are today. Sort of similar to (500) Days of Summer or How I Met Your Mother in concept, but done in a much more low-key and British way.

It takes a couple of episodes to quite find its feet (these screens are from ep. 3, the first really good one), but I would definitely recommend it, and I'm surprised it didn't ring any bells around here.

"Scrotal Recall" was just a terrible title, though. Completely misrepresented the tone of the show. Lovesick still works as a pun and fits much better.

Stupot

Scrotal Recall is an obvious case of thinking of a title and building the show around it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk