Sierra Template Background Contest - CLOSED!

Started by CaesarCub, Wed 28/06/2017 14:24:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Nice one Selmiak. You should make the stars glimmer.

selmiak

I think if my background should win this comp I'll animate the stars, the waterfalls, the watery clouds of the waterfalls and the radiowaves and maybe some more, but for now I'm done ;)

this is too much for now and too little time and it is easier done within AGS and within the template than showing this in a gif with different framecounts of the different animations and only 256 colors.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

last two backgrounds I missed, great work both of you.
love to see your progress iterations selmiak .. perfect end result!

Is this char a sci-fi character?

Hobo

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sun 23/07/2017 12:07:15
Is this char a sci-fi character?
Well, since it's originally based off Space Quest's Roger Wilco and wears a space uniform looking thingy, then I'd assume so. It could be changed of course, but why bother? Sci-fi is obviously the most superior genre of fiction, isn't it? :-D

A fine selection of quality backgrounds, by the way. It going to be an interesting vote.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 23/07/2017 07:21:12
Nice one Selmiak. You should make the stars glimmer.

+1

Also there could be a bit of pixel-cleanup done, but apart from that this is my fave so far!

selmiak

Quote from: Amy on Sat 22/07/2017 15:52:33
Good entries so far! Cannot wait for the final template demo game, having great hopes this will teach me how to make my own adventure.

<placeholder> Started working on an entry too.
I see your edits there and now I'm interested in your outcome :)

Rocchinator

Selmiak amazing Man i love how you started with a space and you turn it into this amaxing piece of art really good job

eri0o

Selmiak, your artwork is the one that prompts me to create a game.

Nixxon

It's beautiful selmiak. Reminds me of Genesis/megadrive

abstauber

Your background really turned out gorgeous, selmiak! Are you sure, you want to waste it on a Sierra template (laugh)?

To me, it screams DEMO GAME (nod)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hobo -  A ah...  I know it looked like Roger but I wasn't sure if it was just a generic char based on him (i think it was the alternate colors that threw me) .  Trust me to bow out of contests just when all the sci-fi themed ones start up! lol

CaesarCub

Time to vote for the backgrounds!

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/wYFEpGj.png[/imgzoom]
01 - Lorenzo (01)
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/s2bGwVK.png[/imgzoom]
02 - Lorenzo (02)
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/w3JQ9GN.png[/imgzoom]
03 - Nixxon
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/KVwVb6H.png[/imgzoom]
04 - Eri0o
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/wr8yC7A.png[/imgzoom]
05 - Rocchinator
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/Bex0jcV.png[/imgzoom]
06 - Abstauber
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/z8i22Q7.png[/imgzoom]
07 - Selmiak

Voting criteria:

Concept: How original and interesting is the background.
Playability: How would the background work in a game.
Artistic Execution: How beautiful the background is.

Voting will close on the 2nd of August.

Danvzare

Quote from: Hobo on Sun 23/07/2017 13:54:32
Sci-fi is obviously the most superior genre of fiction, isn't it? :-D
Oh that's definitely true. But in terms of adventure games, most people seem to prefer a default contemporary look. Just look at how underused that Insta-Game pack was.

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Mon 24/07/2017 16:47:43
Hobo -  A ah...  I know it looked like Roger but I wasn't sure if it was just a generic char based on him (i think it was the alternate colors that threw me) .  Trust me to bow out of contests just when all the sci-fi themed ones start up! lol
You didn't participate just because there were a bunch of sci-fi backgrounds. Aww. :(

And now I see that voting has just begun as I was writing this.
I'll have to think about who I'm going to vote for. This is a toughie.

selmiak

Concept:  Nixxon - just because it goes against all concepts with all these whacky comical lines and surreal angles.
Playability:  Lorenzo (01) - that door is just very encouraging to click on and explore around and find out what lies behind
Artistic Execution: Abstauber - clear pixelart lines and a low colorcount make this background very interesting and scifi spaceship bridges with big screens and a breathtaking view are always cool in my book. and it is very fitting for the roger sprite.

abstauber

Concept: Lorenzo (01) This is just a magnificent scene - period. I wish I could pull something like this off. The color perspective is remarkable.
Unfortunately it didn't survive the low-res transformation very well and looks a bit blurry in this resolution. I'm sure it looks outstanding in a higher resolution.

Playability: Selmiak Okay, this might not be the first time we've seen floating things in space. But this is for sure one of the most interesting examples. There is a whole tiny world to examine... where does the water come from? What does the monolith do? Why is home upside down? As already mentioned, I'd love to see this covered in a future demo quest as well. Oh.. and the spaceship is super cute ;D

Artistic Execution: Nixxon This background survived the downscaling very well as a lot of effort went into "post scaling" ;) Also the toonish perspective is top notch, great work!

Nixxon

Well done to all entries! God damn, this one was tough.

Artistic Execution: (07)Selmiak. It's just so pixel perfect. It resembles a commercial quality backdrop from that era. Really well done. I want to see where that ‘stone portal' transports me!

Playability: (06)Abstruader. Another beautiful natively low res background. I love the palate and cleanliness. While a little ‘bare' to the naked eye, I can envision some pretty outlandish events transpiring in the distance of space while manning that control panel.

Concept: (05)Rocchinator. Awesome composition and wonderful pixel work here. I feel like roger is a little too small for the background. Unless, he's onboard an alien ship perhaps? With some tweaking this would probably be my fav.

@Lorenzo. Man, artistically these are truly outstanding. Particularly the first one. The colours are just gorgeous. 100% professional quality art. As mentioned though, with roger implemented and at zoom, the contrast of pixel rendering is a little jarring. Guys… can we make a HD Sierra template just for these??!

@Eri0o. Another solid entry with a vibrant palette and clean definition. With the addition of objects in the scene this has a lot of potential. Well done mate!

horusr

Concept: 07 Selmiak
Playability: 03 Nixxon
Artistic Execution: 01 Lorenzo

Danvzare

Concept: 07 - Selmiak
Playability: 04 - Eri0o
Artistic Execution: 03 - Nixxon

Riaise

Concept: 07 Selmiak - I really love the idea of the floating islands in space. The upside-down Home sign is a great touch.
Playability: 01 Lorenzo - There is a decent space for the walkable area and a few good places for hotspots, too.
Artistic Execution: 07 Selmiak - All of the entries are really stunning with some amazing details, but I just feel like this background looks the best with the character in mind. The colours are really beautiful. And I really want to see the (potential) animated version! :-D

Rocchinator

Concept: Lorenzo just love how Roger fits on this one i can see a game here.
Playability: Selmiak outstanding bg i love how everything can be interactive totally playable
Artistic Execution: Nixxon what can i say Man, im a big fan of your artstyle, its just gorgeous.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk