MAGS July "I Come Here Often" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/07/2017 01:32:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS August?

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage by DBoyWheeler
9 (81.8%)
Disgust by horusr
0 (0%)
That Day by Cassiebsg
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: Tue 15/08/2017 01:09:43

Stupot

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage

by DBoyWheeler
Disgust
by horusr
That Day
by Cassiebsg

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll at the top of this page.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: August 14th

Topic: I come here often
This month's guidelines were set by LostTrainDude

The inspiration came from TV shows such as Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories and some of the bar talks in Horace and Pete.

Bring us an adventure where:

• The character has\wants to visit a specific place 3 times: at the beginning, halfway through and at the end of the game
  • Each visit is key to the plot. Anything can do but an easy example could be: the plot and character introduction, the plot twist and the end
  • At least one visit is revelatory, as in "the character realizes something that was not clear before"

Some ideas:

• The local pub\diner, where you always meet the usual patrons that provide you with their insights... Or where a new face may have come by, bringing a whole new point of view along
  • At the end of each shift you really need that smoke by the pier before heading back home. You wonder if that old, wise fisherman who seems to always be there and have answers for every question is real or a projection of your unconscious mind

Or something a little different:

• The subway station that takes you to work and back home every day, where a glitch in ticket barrier suddenly grants you access to parts of the city that were forbidden to you because of your citizen status
  • Who's the person behind the counter at your workplace reception? Why nobody seems to notice that it is not the same person as the day before?

Ends: July 31st

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âœ" A working download link
âœ" The title of your game
âœ" A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

This might be interesting.  I plan on entering.

The first part (like any game project) would be brainstorming.  But I wrote down kind of the basic idea for this.

The main character (I named him Nannulf Tungmetall) is at a theater to prepare for a rock concert.  But the band is reluctant to play.

The room I picked out for the protagonist to visit thrice is the main stage itself (ideas may change).
* First time: To introduce Nannulf, and explain that something is preventing the band from playing.
* Second time: Nannulf finds what at first was considered a "bad luck omen", but turns out to be just a discarded toy.
* Third time: Of course, the ending--Nannulf introducing the rock band.

Think these ideas would fit the current competition?

Nixxon

Cool theme!

Nice one @ Dboy. Awesome gameplan.

That's a badass name for a protagonist too :) best of luck!

LostTrainDude

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

DBoyWheeler

Thanks.  Well, guess it's time to put more into the plans (like planning out the rooms, NPCs, and all that jazz).

Fitz

This theme instantly made me think of Hotline Miami -- which (I think) is such an awesome adventure game material! It's such a shame I'm super busy on a project that's going to probably take me another couple of months. But if anyone else would like to pick the idea up, I might be able to help with dialogues/plot.

DBoyWheeler

A little status report on my end--the sprites of the main character, Nannulf, are under construction.  I've finished his front view (or down view) and his left view (his left and right views will be different, because he has a cool shoulder plate thing on his right shoulder).  I didn't realize till it was too late that I forgot his black wristbands.  Oh well, maybe in a future non-MAGS game (AGS or otherwise) he might have his wristbands.

LostTrainDude

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 04/07/2017 12:44:08
This theme instantly made me think of Hotline Miami -- which (I think) is such an awesome adventure game material! It's such a shame I'm super busy on a project that's going to probably take me another couple of months. But if anyone else would like to pick the idea up, I might be able to help with dialogues/plot.

I would be very curious to see an Hotline Miami adventure game. Top-down view and everything! It's not like we didn't have people who tried :D

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 07/07/2017 01:54:15
A little status report on my end--the sprites of the main character, Nannulf, are under construction.  I've finished his front view (or down view) and his left view (his left and right views will be different, because he has a cool shoulder plate thing on his right shoulder).  I didn't realize till it was too late that I forgot his black wristbands.  Oh well, maybe in a future non-MAGS game (AGS or otherwise) he might have his wristbands.

Good to know you're still working on it. It's Screenshot Saturday! Feel free to post something, if you have\want it!

Also: is anybody else joining? It is said that the extreme summer heat is easily beaten with the heat a game developer can produce by typing on a keyboard :laugh:
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

DBoyWheeler

Still working on character sprites on my end.  I finished the main character (Nannulf), and one of the NPCs (Vidar--the main singer of the band that Nannulf's helping).  Currently working on the NPC Otto (the keyboardist of the band).  After him, I'll be working on the NPCs Wilmer (the band's guitarist) and Viggo (the band's drummer--and the superstitious one, thus the reason Nannulf is on his mini-adventure in my game).

[Update on July 10th, 2017] Finally finished all the character sprites.  Next phase for me to work on is the GUIs.  Um, just wanna say up front that I may have to bow out of the August MAGS, as I REALLY wanna catch up on my RPG project (a non-AGS project).  I've been woefully neglecting it.  But I MIGHT take part in the September MAGS, however.

Stupot

It's great that you could do two in a row. No need to apologise that you can't do a third (although maybe if the topic were super tempting...).

Anyone else in? It's not too late

milkanannan

Such a cool theme for a game! Looking forward to playing the entries.:-D:-D:-D

horusr

We are in! We try to work on something, some short top-down view game(not a Hotline Miami adventure game, didn't play that game actually) game.
We gave up about top-down view for some reasons, sorry for that.

Mandle

I might be in...

If "The Wind Through The Window" continues to inspire me...

LostTrainDude

Wow, folks: you are amazing! :D

Can't wait to see your games!
I'm especially intrigued by horusr's one... I dig the top-down visuals!

Also, Mandle: good job on keeping that crown where it is meant to be (nod)

horusr

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Wed 12/07/2017 20:14:39
I'm especially intrigued by horusr's one... I dig the top-down visuals!

Oops, sorry to hear that. We changed the top-down view idea, back to standart view.
Actually I did choose top-down view because you need less detail in animations and backgrounds but that decision has some bad sides too. So we think making it standart view is better.

DBoyWheeler

Well, I got done with the GUIs (with the exception of the "GUI" for the title-screen--I'll do that one when I start work on that).  The Inventory GUI was giving me flak earlier, but I got it to cooperate now.  I mean, there are only three Inventory Items for it, so I won't need up/down arrows, but still, we kinda need a GUI for it.  I think the big hassles (namely the character animations) are behind me so I can start working on the rooms and such.

[Update 7/15/2017] I got the main room of the game set up... the stage (the place Nannulf needs to visit three times in game).  I'll work on the backstage area next, and then each of the rooms of the four band members.  Yes, I know I kinda effed up the curtains, but what can ya do?

Spoiler
[close]

Mandle

Actually, sorry, I'm out for this one.

There's no way I can make a game at the moment. "The Wind Through The Window" will have to sit and wait awhile and see if it has the potential to haunt me into making it at some point.

I have a summer camp for kids to plan and run next week, then a trip back home to Australia for two weeks, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

Well, the first two at least...

Best of luck to all though...

Here's the background I got partways finished with:

With furniture planned as objects:

[IMGZOOM]http://i67.tinypic.com/mt73i9.png[/IMGZOOM]

And the basic background WIP:

[IMGZOOM]http://i64.tinypic.com/s5liqu.png[/IMGZOOM]

The perspective drawing experience was valuable though and I can maybe use this background at some point somewhere, who knows?

LostTrainDude

Quote from: horusr on Wed 12/07/2017 22:01:38
Oops, sorry to hear that. We changed the top-down view idea, back to standart view.
Noooo!
Well, that's fine anyway :D I still look forward to see what you are coming up with!
Keep us posted!

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 14/07/2017 00:56:55
I got the main room of the game set up... the stage (the place Nannulf needs to visit three times in game).  I'll work on the backstage area next, and then each of the rooms of the four band members.  Yes, I know I kinda effed up the curtains, but what can ya do?
Eff the curtains! Who cares about them when you have such a big stage? Actually I wish I could play live on such a big stage :D (I did a couple of times, though, I have to admit... Still I want more!)

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 17/07/2017 16:16:31
Actually, sorry, I'm out for this one.

Wow, it is a busy schedule! Actually your plans remind me of the movie A New Leaf with Walter Matthau and Elaine May (laugh)
Jokes aside: best wishes and good luck (you choose where to apply which)! And don't worry, I don't think you will ever lose that crown :)

Still, thanks a lot for sharing your screenshot, it looked interesting and very detailed!

DBoyWheeler

I'm covering more ground on my project.  I'm almost done with all the rooms, and then I can program them.  Once I see everything's in working order, I'll hunt for some music to fit the setting.

Mandle

DBoyWheeler

I'm almost done with mine.  Just need to find some music, make up a nice ending card, and do some final testing, and I should be ready to submit my entry.

[Update]
My entry is now ready!  The game is called Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage

The article in the Complete Games thread tells more: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55043.0

horusr

8 days and finally be able to make title screen(but may change with time)!
Next thing to do is taking care of rooms.

Spoiler
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: horusr on Wed 19/07/2017 12:41:01
8 days and finally be able to make title screen

I think I need a game with your avatar image as the main character...

It hypnotizes me second-most to Chicky's...

horusr

Well that game would banned from most countries for mass hypnotizing.
Sometimes i find myself staring at that avatar.

Cassiebsg

Just to say that I'm working on a little game, got the plot line and story, a mockup for 1 BG and am working on a character now... but it's very unlikely that I'll be able to finish on time... not many days left, and I'm on vacation and on a little tablet with win10... So... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

horusr

It is cool that you take a break from vacation fun and get som game making fun. (Well, that was a weird sentence)

So have fun, and waiting for result

LostTrainDude

Wow it's great to see so many fellow developers attempting this (no matter the results)!
Thank you all :D Can't wait to see what this last week will bring!

Cassiebsg

Status: Game as now a title, one mockup BG and a main character with walk cycle (all setup up in AGS).... how exciting fast this is going. (roll)

horusr

Cassiebsg

Not that much, I haven't even coded a single line on AGS yet. 8-0
On the other hand, I now have the two NPCs that I needed for the key cutscene. (roll) Plus one object for them to float on. (laugh)
I'm now trying to create the animation for the cutscene... if you guys are lucky I'll manage to get the cutscene done... still no idea if I can even get the net to be stable enough to upload anything. :P

Edit: So now I have a little cut-scene done in non/blocking AGS. :D and It's even floating. Now I need to make a new NPC so I can write the first interaction. ;) Think it's looking okay so far, considering the circumstances... res is crapy 640x360, 32bit. (roll)

Cassiebsg

Game is going very slowly... so now there are 3 characters, one object, no hotspots, one puzzle (or more a "click here to continue") and a dialogue puzzle (that has no consequences... yet (laugh) ).

horusr

Well I have 0 room, 1 character(which is invisible), and game is almost done!
You are faster than me!

Slasher

Time is ticking away the moments that make up a dull day (laugh)

Great start DBoyWheeler (nod)

Come on guys.. get yer fingers out, we want this mag to explode with creative talents and great games (nod)

Cassiebsg

Oh geez... that's not me... I won't even be able to upload it before I get home, and that's at best next friday.  8-0

LostTrainDude

Congratulations DBoyWheeler for the release! Can't wait to jump on stage :D

This is almost it, folks, there are about 30 hours left!

Cassiebsg and horusr: you are doing a wonderful job, keep going! :)

Cassiebsg

As I said before, I won't meet the deadline.
I did made a 2nd BG yesterday, and was today creating a couple NPCs to populate it (while trying to figure out a puzzle or two that make sense...).
But let's say that, I might have 1st act done... but long from having the 3 acts done. (wrong)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

sorry to hear you cant make it in on time cassie? would any help make the difference?

Might I be bold and suggest doing the mags every 2 months rather then every month?, so still only 1 month to produce it but a gap of a month in between.  My guess is you will get more people enter this way, and people who worked on a previous mags are more likely to enter again.
Forum could fill the gap with another type of contest, perhaps a forum collaborative project

horusr

You can rlease a short demo version ofit? Can't you?

And I don't like MAGS being 1 in 2 month... What type of contest could fillthe huge emptyness left from mags...

Cassiebsg

I did say from the start that I would not be able to release it on time, I'm still on vacation and won't be home to upload it before friday.
If I manage to finish 1st act, I will try to upload a demo, but net is very unstable in here, so I can't guarantee.

Thanks for the offer TMA, but don't think extra help would much at this time, considering I have no idea if I can even upload anything. But thanks for the offer. (nod)

horusr

Completed my unfinished non-game game!
Link to forum thread!

Here is the title screen.

Cassiebsg

Stupot

Thanks for your entries, DBoy and Horusr. We officially have a contest :-D

There's about 24 hours left for any secret entrants. Cassie, it'd be great if you were able to upload at least a demo, but I understand if you can't :-)

Quote from: horusr on Sun 30/07/2017 18:43:43

And I don't like MAGS being 1 in 2 month... What type of contest could fillthe huge emptyness left from mags...
MAGS is every month, dude. Look out for August's topic, tomorrow :-)

If you're wondering 'how can there be a contest in August when we haven't had the voting for July yet?' The answer is that August's topic was chosen by June's winner. And the winner of July choose's September's rules. So essentially there are always two seperate but intertwining branches of MAGS occurring at any given moment.

Cassiebsg

I'll give it a try...
But right now, I've fought with Blender all day and my character just doesn't want to have a long dress... :-\ I've finally gave up and rendering it anyway, even though it sucks big time. Also, I currently have 4% battery left... :~(

horusr

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sun 30/07/2017 18:31:41
Might I be bold and suggest doing the mags every 2 months rather then every month?

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 31/07/2017 00:16:33

I was just talking about Tycho's idea of MAGS being 1 in 2 month. Sorry for my English :D

Kitty Trouble

Indeed, making a game in 1 month is hard :P

horusr

Gurok

Quote from: horusr on Mon 31/07/2017 03:44:19
Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sun 30/07/2017 18:31:41
Might I be bold and suggest doing the mags every 2 months rather then every month?

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 31/07/2017 00:16:33

I was just talking about Tycho's idea of MAGS being 1 in 2 month. Sorry for my English :D

I don't want to pick on Tycho, but I agree about the MAGS every month thing. It would be a step backwards to skip a month for voting. That's how MAGS used to work, until Dualnames (I think) fixed it.

Tycho, nobody is suggesting you need to participate in every MAGS competition. You can pick and choose themes that appeal to you. However...

There is the little-known, unofficial MAGS iron man challenge: compete in 12 MAGS competitions over 12 months. I don't think anyone's done it, but it looked for a while like Slasher would.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Kitty Trouble

I might take a shot at submitting something for August. I helped horus with the backgrounds but we didn't finish.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi folks, had to respond to the last few posts as I can see my post about the mags every 2 months has been quite misinterpreted.

Ok just to be clear, I was never suggesting doing the mags every 2 months out of any personal desire or for anyone else's desire. Whether or not its 1 or 2 months its unlikely I will be getting involved in another mags till next year (however I will enter smaller contests).

This suggestion was first of all in context to a marked slow down of the mags which others had recognized also, and was a suggestions on how to get more interest in mags rolling and nothing to do with anyone "wants"
My bet is you will get more entries (total) in 6 mags combined then 12 mags combined, due to a number of reasons.
My theory could be woefully wrong, but that's what the suggestion was in context to, saving mags, not suggesting something because of any other reason.

My hunch is you will not only get more entries in every mags, but you will get more voting going on which is 50% about keeping mags going too.

Personally it makes no difference if the mags is every month, every 2 months, every day, or every year :D

Also considering the amazing works and imaginations behind the works on this forum, is it really such a struggle to think of something to fill the bi-monthly gap with? :P

anyway, thats my 2cent on it, perhaps a bad idea, but I thought I would mention it anyway.  :)

Stupot

The beauty of MAGS is that it's always there if someone wants to have a go. I'm all about trying to entice more people to have a go but I'm not convinved halving the number of contests would acheive that.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

to give a bad analogy, im looking at it like the forum as an amount of energy, and like a volcano the more you leave it the more pressure and anticipation builds, then inevitably it erupts lol ..  er.. well then you have to wait for a bit to get that same pressure build up to get the same energetic result.. and .. um well.. yea , so volcano's (wtf)

But the mags seems to be working fine now, so why break with tradition... but the suggestion still stands if such a need arises :)

Kitty Trouble

Yeah it's pointless to have a month off.

Slasher

QuoteGurok: There is the little-known, unofficial MAGS iron man challenge: compete in 12 MAGS competitions over 12 months. I don't think anyone's done it, but it looked for a while like Slasher would.
News to me....Food for thought...

As Ozzy would sing: I am Ironman (laugh)

horusr

Quote from: horusr on Sun 30/07/2017 22:13:28
Completed my unfinished non-game game!
Link to forum thread!

Here is the title screen.

In case people missed the announce! It can be missed because of argument we have here.

Cassiebsg

Okay, managed to upload and make it a bit more complete (as with explanation that it's only demo, and where the demo ends)... There really isn't much to do, so you'll probably be done in 5 minutes or so... (roll)

Here's the link to the game page:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2183/

BTW, if anyone wishes to help out with the writing to finish this game, just say so either here or via PM. (nod)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 31/07/2017 20:22:41
Okay, managed to upload and make it a bit more complete (as with explanation that it's only demo, and where the demo ends)... There really isn't much to do, so you'll probably be done in 5 minutes or so... (roll)

BTW, if anyone wishes to help out with the writing to finish this game, just say so either here or via PM. (nod)

I like the theme and the graphics/shading/lighting. The story started to get interesting just before it ended :)

I hope you do continue!

LostTrainDude

Wow folks! Great job! :)
Can't wait to play your entries and I hope that everyone else will join me in a round of applause at your accomplishments! (nod)

Thanks a lot for participating, no matter how short or long your game is!

Cassiebsg

Thanks Shadow. (nod)

And if anyone might wonder, the "constant" local during the 3 acts, is suppose to be the peer/harbour.
(I hope there aren't that many spelling errors too)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

a ah! well done on getting it done in time.. downloadingz now

Stupot

by DBoyWheeler
Disgust
by horusr
That Day
by Cassiebsg

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll at the top of this page.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: August 14th

Cassiebsg

Disgust:
Spoiler

Well... I did started this game, but the green text and story wasn't enough to catch me. I'm really not into reading a novel on screen... :-[
I'm not sure if there was some game action, since I ended up giving up. Sorry.
Oh, nice scary intro btw. (nod) (laugh)
[close]

Spoiler

I'm still playing and enjoying it. Shame about the walk cycle as it makes the game less enjoyable.
Will update this once I'm finished playing.
[close]

That day:
Spoiler

Interesting idea... maybe if it wasn't a demo... (laugh)
[close]

horusr

Come on, it takes just a few minutes to read :~( ... How long you went into story?

Cassiebsg

A couple of minutes, I got bored around something becoming grey... :-[
I get bored with long dialogues, which is why most my dialogues lines aren't longer than a couple lines.
Maybe if you had turned off the menu and presented the dialogue in a black BG, I would at least stick to the end hoping  to be rewarded for it.

Sorry, I now you put a lot of effort into it. I'll wait for the post-MAGS version to play again. (nod)

horusr

Well you just stopped reading at twist point...
Thank you for trying to read my game! But I dont think there will be any post mags version of it... I will leave it as how it is and will think it as first trying and failing.

Creamy

QuoteWell you just stopped reading at twist point...
You only have yourself to blame. When people download AGS games, they probably expect more than just read green lines of text on a black screen.

QuoteI dont think there will be any post mags version of it... I will leave it as how it is and will think it as first trying and failing.
Why? The story is OK. It would be easy to add a couple of pictures. You could even use a voice off and keep the text verbatim.

horusr

Well, I dont want to blame anyone. The result is my plan b. And I warned people about there is being no game. So I can't understand if they expect more than that.

And original plan b was having voiceover but Chicky found the story too long and he has a little rime to work on it. I was going to use my own voice vut I didnt want peÃ,,±ple to suffer because of my bad english. But if there wasnt Chicky, I wont get motüvated to write the story, so thanks to him.

Actually Morgan LeFlay suggested vorking on game and releasing it afterdeadline, byt I wanted to join mags whatever happens. So people can blame me for that decision.

I was the only one who have free time but also I was the most untalented one in team.

And I am happy to have a title screen. There is a title screen because I was bored and drew it. There could be just black screen and green text only. And what is people's problem with green text, is that really that ugly? I may change it in the future. Please suggest new color for that.

The sad thing is my second attemp to make something will be also failure because I can't write rap battle for it and nobody else want to heelp me with writing.

I am really sorry for this happened and I apologise from players. Thanks everyone whoplayed it and Idk why, writing this feels like writing suicide note :D

LostTrainDude

I don't think there is anything to feel guilty about or to be ashamed of (if this is what is being discussed here).

Many of us like MAGS "just because", not because it is a competition we want to win. It can just be a challenge :) At the end of the trip you will have learned something new (no matter how much) or fine-tuned what you already knew and, best case scenario, you will have a product for you to showcase and for people to enjoy :)

I played Disgust knowing what the premise was and, while I don't have this specific genre of games among my favorites, I see nothing wrong about it, especially considering it was published as a way to cope with the deadline.

Horusr, I don't think you have to apologize to your players :) You made a voice-overed disclaimer in the game intro and also stated it in the game's database
You did what you could and, most of all, you tried to get other people to work with you, which means networking. Team management is very often a very tough task, as much as time management is.
Game jams such as MAGS and many others are often a way (if not the way) to begin to realize the hardship of game development and design :)

So, bottom line, I think that there is no real failure when it comes to learning.
As long as your objective is to improve, to me there is nothing wrong with the journey that takes you there!

horusr

Thank you for your positive and encouraging words,  you cleaned my tears.

Creamy

QuoteI am really sorry for this happened and I apologise from players. Thanks everyone whoplayed it and Idk why, writing this feels like writing suicide note
No need to apologize. I realize that my last post was too harsh.

QuoteAnd I warned people about there is being no game.
I'm perfectly fine with that too. As I said, I actually like the story. I just meant that it could benefit from a better presentation.

QuoteAnd what is people's problem with green text, is that really that ugly?
Green is EVIL! 8-0
Seriously, I don't mind the color either.

QuoteI was the only one who have free time but also I was the most untalented one in team.
I don't think there's such a thing as innate talent. Maybe you could try to improve the game on your own ?

LostTrainDude

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 01/08/2017 14:45:18
I don't think there's such a thing as innate talent. Maybe you could try to improve the game on your own ?

I agree with Creamy :D Now you have all the time you want to experiment with it and expanding it, if you want to.

horusr

Ok, I will try to improve it then. But I also want to join this month's MAGS and some lowrezjam where you need to make 64x64 res game. I know it is not a good idea doing 2 things at same time but Idk, I want to try...

Stupot

@horusr - steady on, dude. I really wouldn't recommend doing two game jams at the same time. Choose one and stick to it. Or, if possible, make one game that happens to fit the guidelines of both jams.

Slasher

QuoteI am really sorry for this happened and I apologise from players. Thanks everyone whoplayed it and Idk why, writing this feels like writing suicide note
If this were my case I would have been dead a 1000 times (laugh)

Perseverance is the key ;)

As long as you've learnt something then it has been worth it (nod)

So don't give up, get bad (laugh)

horusr

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 01/08/2017 18:20:50
Or, if possible, make one game that happens to fit the guidelines of both jams.

That is good idea! Other jam has no theme, only res limit.
Quote from: Slasher on Tue 01/08/2017 19:06:22
So don't give up, get bad (laugh)

Ok! I won't give up

Riaise

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage by DBoyWheeler:
Spoiler
This is a cute little game with its own style. I quite like the blocky colours, although a few more details would help to add interest to open spaces, like the hallway. I know that animation is difficult, I'm bad enough at it myself ((laugh)), but the walkcycle was just too jerky. With a bit more practice you'll get it looking better. Maybe try looking at some walkcycle tutorials like this, just to see what each frame should look like in general.
The puzzles were quite simple, but I like that there was a full story and that it all made sense. Well done!
[close]

Disgust by horusr:
Spoiler
OK, that was interesting. I didn't expect the story to take a turn like that! It's a shame that there wasn't more to it, but I understand that sometimes things don't go to plan. I will say, though, that the graphic on the menu screen is good, so don't doubt your own abilities! You may have more talent than you realise. ;)
[close]

That Day by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
Lovely graphics, as always, Cassie! I liked where the story was headed, it became quite intriguing towards the end. It's a shame that the demo is so short, but I'm looking forward to the full version! Great work on getting this much done in the short space of time you had (and with a dodgy internet connection, too! :-D)
[close]

DBoyWheeler

Thanks, I bookmarked the animating tutorial.

Izera

Spoiler
It's the most complete entry that actually plays like a finished game. Congratulations for wrapping that up! As some people already mentioned - the walkcycle is so jerky that it makes the game less enjoyable. The story is nice - I love the idea of getting rid of the bad omen. I know that the main character visits the stage 3 times (or more) so it technically follows the rules of this MAGS, however, I think that it would "feel" better if those 3 visits happened at different days. This would show that the hero is deeply connected to this place. I think you can easily build upon what you have and add next two days with different puzzles that you have to solve before the band lets you sing with them in the end :)
[close]

Disgust by horusr:
Spoiler
The story is fresh and original, good job! I love that the main character is a creep (the sniffing scene was awesome). It's a pity that you didn't manage to add any interactivity - it could have turned out really fun! I'm waiting for an updated version - I will gladly play as a creepy psychotic guy :D
[close]

That Day by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
The style is distinct and brings to mind paper models (I would actually love a game made in "paper" style you achieved in the school location. I know it probably wasn't on purpose, but I still liked it :) ). The fun thing about the boat is that I actually wasnt sure what I have seen. I was looking elsewhere and it happened too fast for me to know for sure if the man pushed the girl out of the boat or if she fell out. This made the final decision really tense :)
[close]

LostTrainDude

Congratulations everybody for your very different releases :)

Spoiler
Much like theatrical superstitions, there are probably as many superstitions for musicians as well (even though in this case was more of a childhood trauma) :) I agree with those who say that the walkcycle it's what makes the game less enjoyable, especially when it comes to walking through the long backstage corridor, but other than that the game delivers a simple and complete fun.
[close]
Disgust by horusr:
Spoiler
As I already said before I'm not really into the visual novel genre, but I still applaud your efforts and the story itself. It was also fun to see the little "easter egg" which shows the WIP images for the background. If this is going to be ever released as an actual adventure game, I will be more than happy to play it!
[close]
That Day by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler
The mood and the graphics somewhat took me back to an adventure game for PS1 I remember, although never really played much: Ark of Time. I look forward to an "extended" and polished release of this because it seems interesting and I would like to actually know what is going on in the game (laugh).
[close]

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I have had my plate full for couple of weeks so have not got around to getting through the entries. This weekend for sure, I really look forward to playing them, and will vote before the deadline ends!

Stupot

Well well, the voting is over and the results are in.
Congratulations to:

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage by DBoyWheeler

Well done, sir. You will be contacted soon about choosing a theme for September's contest.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Cassiebsg

Congrats DBoyWheeler (nod)
And thanks to the 2 that decided to cast a vote my way. :-D

DBoyWheeler

Wait, WHAT?!  I won?!?! 8-0

I... I can't believe it!!!

Thank you!  I look forward to providing an idea for the next MAGS!

Slasher

Riaise

Congratulations, DBoyWheeler! :-D And well done to Cassie and horusr for competing, too! (nod)

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I cast my vote at the last min..

I am overjoyed to see you win this DeBoy... the first of many i hope :D

Cassie and horusr, hard luck!.. both of you had really interesting themes.. next time eh!... keep it going!

horusr

Congrats DBoy! I am still happy to be in top 3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk