The beer thread

Started by milkanannan, Mon 03/07/2017 15:00:59

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Hello AGS'ers!

So who out there likes a good beer once in a while? ;) I thought I'd start a thread for beer discussion/recommendation, just generally all things beer related. Even if you don't drink beer, feel free to share a photo of your hometown's brew or your thoughts on beer in general.

milkanannan

At the moment I'm enjoying this lovely Meantime London Lager. Very very light in appearance, but hoppy as hell. Tastes like an IPA! It's a bit pricey here in Dubai, but definitely worth a splurge every once in a while. 8-)

Kumpel

As a german of course I like beer. This is one of my favourites and has a special place in my heart:

Lausitzer Porter is a very tasty, a little bit sweet and nevertheless spicey dark porter beer from the saxonian city Löbau.
It reminds me of my youth and home.
Actually a german wouldn't dare to admit, but the cherry flavoured mix beer edition named "Kirsch Porter" is even better but not a beer for every day :D

RickJ

One of my favorites from the Pacific Northwest (US) is Alaskan Amber

milkanannan

Haven't tried either, but I'll keep an eye out! Unfortunately our selection here is a bit limited. Beautiful colour on that porter!

Tonight I tried this lad. Very smokey flavour and a lingering aftertaste. Not bad, but probably wouldn't get it again.

Stupot

A friend of mine loves his beers and ciders and most of his Instagram feed is dedicated to them. Check it out: http://instagram.com/bigdaveofbanterbury.

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 04/07/2017 16:39:48
A friend of mine loves his beers and ciders and most of his Instagram feed is dedicated to them. Check it out: http://instagram.com/bigdaveofbanterbury.

Nice! Several of those I'd never heard of.

milkanannan

So I'm having the angry-ass Foster's tonight, a beer which ---if you will indulge me for a moment-- I'd like to comment on.

It's so easy to turn your nose up at Foster's. It's light. It's watery. It's a pop culture beer. However, for several years I have to indeed admit that anytime I'm not really looking for a new experience or a dialogue or a surprise of any sort, Foster's has been there as a go-to lager. Its flavour couldn't be more normal, and maybe this is why it defaults into a good plumb line for all other beers. Foster's is not crap. It's also not great. It's meh. And meh is a very powerful place to be.

So cheers to Foster's. Cheers to mediocracy.

dactylopus

Quote from: manifest class on Sat 15/07/2017 21:12:02
So I'm having the angry-ass Foster's tonight, a beer which ---if you will indulge me for a moment-- I'd like to comment on.

It's so easy to turn your nose up at Foster's. It's light. It's watery. It's a pop culture beer. However, for several years I have to indeed admit that anytime I'm not really looking for a new experience or a dialogue or a surprise of any sort, Foster's has been there as a go-to lager. Its flavour couldn't be more normal, and maybe this is why it defaults into a good plumb line for all other beers. Foster's is not crap. It's also not great. It's meh. And meh is a very powerful place to be.

That's largely how I feel about the beer from my home, Labatt Blue.  I enjoy it, but it's nothing special by any means, and it's a great beer after a game of hockey.

My go-to beer recently is something simple as well.  My brother and I enjoy a Yuengling or 3 when we see each other on weekends.  Nothing fancy.  He usually starts with a high alcohol content double IPA of some sort, but I'm not into that.  I'm not much of a beer snob, but I like beer that tastes like beer, usually a simple lager.

Stupot

I also have nothing against Fosters or Carling or Heineken or any of the mainstream lagers. A cold pint of any of those will make me happy after a day's work. I'm in Japan where a lot of the national brands (Asahi, Suntory, Kirin) get  treated like snot by most of my fellow gaijins. I don't care, I'll drink all of them.

That said, there are a lot of craft-beer shops popping up around Tokyo and I've been to a few. The beer is good and you can clearly taste the quality but I refuse to be drawn into snobby hipsterism about it.

milkanannan

Good points, guys.

Dactylopus, I'm kind of like your brother in that I like the first or second drink to be something to talk about. New flavour? Strong hoppy taste? Interesting aftertaste? It's something to appreciate and dissect, either by yourself or with a friend. By number three (or...on occasion more :-D), your palate really isn't as acute, so that's when I like to flop over to lager, and pretty much anything with some international backing goes (aside from REEB, Busch, and Snow --I'm not a snob but don't get me started on these!)

Stupot, I lived in Shanghai for five years. Your mention of Asahi, Suntory and Kirin brings back memories!! Very cool the craft beer movement is gaining some steam there. Nice to have some variety to pull from.

At the moment, I'm having something called 'Budejovicky', which back home (Canada) is known as Czechvar. It's a Czech beer that interestingly has claimed the name 'Budweiser'. The history from Wikipedia:

QuoteThe history of brewing in Ã,,Å'eské BudÃ,,›jovice, dates back to the 13th century Kingdom of Bohemia, when the city received the brewing rights.[6] The original Budweiser Bier or Budweiser Bürgerbräu (Czech:BudÃ,,›jovický mÃ,,›šŠ¥anský pivovar), was founded here in 1785. The company began exporting to the United States in 1871.[7][8] In the U.S., Anheuser-Busch started using the Budweiser brand in 1876 and registered it two years later.

A second company (now named Budvar) was established in 1895 in same town by mainly Czech brewers, which also started exporting beer under the name Budweiser (being the German way of referring to something from the city such as a beer, while "BudÃ,,›jovický" means the same in Czech). These exports into the US market led to the Budweiser trademark dispute. Negotiations between the three companies, the two from the original town and the American Anheuser-Busch, about using "Budweiser" reached an agreement in March 1938 that allowed Anheuser-Busch to use the brand "Budweiser" only in North America.[9]

After the fall of communism, both local breweries tried to secure rights to traditional names.

(laugh)

I have to say --and again, no intention of snobbery-- Czechvar tastes much better than Budweiser!

dactylopus

Most beers taste better than a Budweiser!

Kumpel

Finally a czech beer!
I can tell you with a hundred percent certainty that every czech beer brewed for longer than 50 years tastes better than 80% of the other beers world wide :D
I have been to prague lately and I tried at least ten beers there (Budejovicky included). Every one tasted different but like a part of what heaven must be like for beer fanatics :-*
Now there are at least 1200 different beers there. (wtf) (wtf) (wtf)

Have a trip to the czech and learn about the taste of the best beers in the world! 8-)

Stupot

I'm going to Prague in August (as well as Vienna and Budapest) so I'll try a few. I've also been to Prague on a sixth form trip and we went to the Staropramen brewery.

milkanannan

Quote from: Kumpel on Mon 17/07/2017 09:47:49
Finally a czech beer!
I can tell you with a hundred percent certainty that every czech beer brewed for longer than 50 years tastes better than 80% of the other beers world wide :D
I have been to prague lately and I tried at least ten beers there (Budejovicky included). Every one tasted different but like a part of what heaven must be like for beer fanatics :-*
Now there are at least 1200 different beers there. (wtf) (wtf) (wtf)

Have a trip to the czech and learn about the taste of the best beers in the world! 8-)

Wow! Nice. Yeah I would LOVE to go one day. I bet they do cool tasting tours where you can learn a bit about the making process too.

milkanannan

This evening I'm having what I think it one of the only major brews in baby-blue packaging. (laugh)

I like Lowenbrau a lot. Good flavour that isn't overpowering. Very crisp finish. It's the golden boy of lagers, just a real lovable taste.

dactylopus

I had a few too many of these over the weekend:

It's called Transmigration of Souls from Orpheus Brewing.  It's a Double IPA.  Here is a chart I found while looking for the picture:

Pretty nifty.  10% alcohol.  Shouldn't have had 4 of those and several Yuenglings...  But it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.  It was a bit on the fruity side is all.

milkanannan

That sounds really nice but 10%? Must have almost tasted kind of wine-like. Yeah, I love that sharp IPA-citrus link too.

Mandle

Foster's is not crap. It's also not great. It's meh.

Hehe, try a XXXX (Four X) from Queensland, Australia...

As an American mate of mine once asked, after a trip to Australia:

"So that Four-X beer... They wash old socks in that or what?"

It's a true horror!

Atelier

With the right marketing execs they could make this work as a campaign :=

Affligem Tripel is easily the best beer I've ever tasted. Only seen it in one craft beer shop which has stopped stocking it now though

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/affligem-tripel/3734/

Has anyone homebrewed before?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk