BACKGROUND BLITZ: The Café - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by lorenzo, Wed 05/07/2017 11:10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

wow.. i saw this at a much much earlier stage..  first time seeing the complete version.. excellent work Brane!
Also I think you have done extremely well with this too, really nice cozy atmosphere. What is that tempting looking green bubbling drink!.. I'll have a large one of those please.

lorenzo

Great image, xBRANEx! Wonderful characters and atmosphere, so many nice details too. And the pixellated Van Gogh on the wall? Absolutely fantastic. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Great entry, xBRANEx! The only thing missing is a few dogs playing poker in the back! (laugh)
I've been thinking of entering myself, if I get the time to finish my entry!

Danvzare

Rocchinator: Ooh I like that. The style kind of reminds me of Sam and Max for some reason though.

xBRANEx: Whoa, that's awesome. I don't think I've ever seen an animated background for this contest before. I probably have, but I certainly don't remember.
Personally, I love the use of gradients. Then again, I just really love gradients, even when they're done horribly wrong. (laugh)
As for any critiques. The only thing I can think of is the perspective. The corner of the room in the distance looks a little odd to me for some reason.

Nixxon

lorenzo

Hey Blondbraid, can you manage to finish your entry by tomorrow? Otherwise I can extend the deadline by a day or two, if no one minds.

Blondbraid

Quote from: lorenzo on Wed 26/07/2017 09:03:07
Hey Blondbraid, can you manage to finish your entry by tomorrow? Otherwise I can extend the deadline by a day or two, if no one minds.
Well, I'm almost half-way done and I think I might be finished today, if not I'll let you know.

Blondbraid

lorenzo

Fantastic image, Blondbraid! I love the subtle way it tells a story. The jpeg compression is quite aggressive, though, and it ruins the picture a bit.

It's time to vote!

Entries:

1. Stupot's café in the sky!

2. horusr's Ottoman café!
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/2n06khH.png[/imgzoom]

3. Cassiebsg's tropical bar!

4. Rocchinator's biker bar!
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/L3FBdoz.png[/imgzoom]

5. xBRANEx's animal-filled pub!
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/vdRuX5N.gif[/imgzoom]

6. Blondbraid's wartime café!

Voting categories:

Concept: your background should tell us something about the kind of patrons that regularly visit the bar.
Playability: does it have clear walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: what's the feeling of the place? Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere?

Voting is open until the 1st of August.

horusr

You don't need to put mine on voting :D if I knew I would try to complete it(I tried but didn't work)

concept 5.xBRANEx I love that living dog food.
playability 2. horusr has lots of walkable areas joking :P
playability 4. Rocchinator I can interact with everything. It will get boring after 20 minutes of interaction but well, that is a good thing.
Artistic execution 3. Cassiebsg I can't even find words to describe this scene, amazing...

Cassiebsg

Concept: Rocchinator's biker bar!
Playability: Rocchinator's biker bar!
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid's wartime café!

Hard to choose, honest. Everyone did great job, and I would love to play all these games. (nod)

horusr, yours need a little bit more work, before it's useable in a game.... then again... maybe it's the invisible cafe that is gradually materializing before our very own eyes! :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

horusr

Well I just gave up after 10 minutes of work, but they still put it on voting :D

Danvzare

concept 6. Blondbraid's wartime café!   This one tells the clearest story if you ask me.
playability 4. Rocchinator's biker bar!   I can already see potential items to pick up, and possible puzzles.
Artistic execution 5. xBRANEx's animal-filled pub!   It's animated dude... ANIMATED!

Gurok

Concept: horusr
Playability: Stupot+
Artistic execution: Cassiebsg
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Riaise

Concept: Stupot+ - The idea of the sky café is intriguing, I can imagine some dramatic scenes being set here.
Playability: Rocchinator - There is so much to look at and do, and I can see all sorts of puzzles taking place here.
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid - I love all of the details, and the poses of the characters tell a great story.

Rocchinator

Concept: Cassiebsg's tropical bar! Thats look like a place worth knowing
Playability: Blondbraid's wartime café! I can see a tension playability right there, and little time to act or a death screen will appear :P
Artistic Execution: xBRANEx's animal-filled pub! I can`t get enought of those animals so beautifull

Stupot

Concept: Brane. Love the animal bar :-)
Playability: Cassiebsg. I really want to explore this scene.
Artistic execution: Rocchinator. I love the style. Seemingly simple but with lots going on. Lovely stuff.

funnyboy044

Concept: Blondbraid
Playability: Rocchinator
Artistic Execution: xBRANEx

Hobo

Concept: xBRANEx
Playability: Rocchinator
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid

Misj'

Concept: Blondbraid. I feel the story it tells is the most compelling and clear. And I feel that the addition of the prayer shawl raises the tension (first puzzle: we have to get it out of sight without raising suspicion). Plus I like the bleakness of the piece without it being depressing.
Playability: xBRANEx. It was a bit of a coin toss between x and Rocchinator, but in the end I felt that Rocchinator's piece played it a bit too safe. It's a very traditional one-point perspective that's completely centered. x's piece has a much worse perspective (or a very weirdly sized pool-table), but I feel it's a bit more daring.
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid. I just happen to like B's style and emotional storytelling. I don't like the tangent lines, or the perspective, or even the squiggliness of the lines themselves. Actually, from a technical (execution) point of view I feel it needs a few more paint-overs, and I would probably have voted for one of the other pieces...but the 'rules' focused on atmosphere, and that's something I think this piece has in spades.

All in all a nice selection of entries, and my votes would probably be different if I cast them tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk