BUSTIN' THE BASTILLE

Started by Creamy, Wed 05/07/2017 18:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

BUSTIN' THE BASTILLE

The year is 1789. Anger is simmering and people take the street, they protest against the priviliges of the nobility and the clergy. The revolution is coming. It will bring liberty, fraternity, equality… …and lots and lots of beheadings!
And unbeknownst to her, a fishmonger with a mid-life crisis finds herself in the middle of it all.

Blondbraid and I made this game for the MAGS competition of June 2017 on the theme "Rescue".
There will be a more polished version when the contest is over.

Credits
Blondbraid: Story & art
Creamy: Story & Code

Modules used:
- Description, Credits and Pixel Perfect Collisions by SSH
- Keyboard Movement by Rui 'Brisby' Pires / strazer
- Dynamic Sprite Rotation by KhrisMUC
- Phylactere by Asraroth (improved by Kitai)
- Particle System Manager by Jerakeen
- BASS template by Ghost

Music:
- "Bewitched Hell" and "Andante in re minore" by Damiano Baldoni.
- "Intended Force" and "Angevin" by Kevin MacLeod.
- "Castle of Despair" and "Secret Catacombs" by Eric Matyas.

SilverSpook

Awesome game! If Monty Python did adventure games, and comedy on the French Revolution, I imagine it would be something like this.

The graphics are great, animations are smooth, and everything really puts you into late 1700's France right around the Revolution. The writing is great, with lots of hilarious bits, especially if you know a little of the history. My favorites were the 'hero getting shot mid-speech' scene, and the 'house husband who does the sweeping, sewing, etc'. It seems to be a signature audience-expectation-subversion of these devs, and it works perfectly in Bustin' the Bastille.

5 beheaded fish out of 5!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Although I have not completed this game yet (seems to be quite lengthy) but I think I have played enough to at least give some initial feedback. I really thought you did very well with the period setting, it must be an extra challenge to make something that is based on something specific historically.
The game itself is very very charming and really made me feel like I was playing a game set in that period of strife.  I loved the puzzles in particular the whole cannon set up, that was really clever indeed. I thought the graphics suited perfectly and your colors reflect those troubled times.
A couple of times I felt some of the dialog could have been cut down a tiny bit as it took me ever so slightly out of the game experience.
All in all a very strong entry, with an obvious amount of work and passion put in. Extremely well done on getting it polished off in time for the deadline too.

xBRANEx

Hey, I've gotta a crash when I come to the city square, after the cannon hits the door the game crashes with an error in the FirstLoad function - null pointer referenced

(if I remember correctly)

Cassiebsg

Brane, try and see if you can repeat it, and copy/paste the crash info here.
I'm sure it's easier for them to find a bug if they know what they're looking for. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

donmartin

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 10/07/2017 21:36:52
Brane, try and see if you can repeat it, and copy/paste the crash info here.
I'm sure it's easier for them to find a bug if they know what they're looking for. ;)

Ths is what I see when the game crushes short after massacrating the fish:

An error has ocurred. Please contact the game author for suport, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS (ACI version 3.4.0.14)

in "room1.asc", line 556

Error: Error running function "room_Firstt.oad":
Error: Null printer referenced

Creamy

This little son of a gun and his brothers will be taken care of when I'm back from holiday. For now, I write them in a doc and enjoy my pina colada.

donmartin

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 12/07/2017 11:55:02
This little son of a gun and his brothers will be taken care of when I'm back from holiday. For now, I write them in a doc and enjoy my pina colada.
Don't let them swim in your exotic millionaire game-creators :) drinks.

Pilchard

Today I celebrated Bastille Day by...Bustin' The Bastille!

This is a good game with a clever interpretation of the 'Rescue' theme; I enjoyed the cartoony spin on historical events.

I felt the game could have done with more event handling, not least to give the player a few hints here and there. It felt a bit unresponsive, with even relatively obvious actions not triggering anything.

Spoiler
For instance, nothing happened when I used the Parisian flag, or the two flags, on the crowd of citizens. Even though that's not the solution, it's something a lot of people would try.

As cat pointed out in the MAGS thread, obtaining the wooden rail required for the Tricolore is rather obscure, and that held me up for a while!

I'm glad I persevered though, as the mini arcade sequence was a nice surprise, and the puzzling inside the Bastille made sense. The ending sequence was fun!
[close]
Any rough edges are understandable given it's an ambitious game to have made in one month. I'm pleased to see you have plans for a more polished version - as you know, I'm in the same boat!

Well done both, I look forward to more of your games.

Hobo

The native resolution of this game is bigger than my screen :-D, but thankfully AGS is capable of downscaling. The visual style, witty writing and nice choice of music created a compelling atmosphere, but the overall narrative and pacing didn't really reel me in. I liked the situations and puzzles themselves, there's some very creative design decisions and plenty of interesting ideas, but I felt that they weren't always tied together all that well.
Spoiler
Also, the rail puzzle seemed totally out of place and obscure.
[close]
The game could use some extra polish and thought (like most MAGS games), but it's still an entertaining and enjoyable experience and a solid MAGS entry! Well done!

A couple of bugs:
Spoiler
- old man at the window is named New character
- the jug of vinegar disappeared after I left the room
[close]

Creamy

A small update to announce enhancements over the MAGS version :
- bugs fixed.
- game menu & settings added.
- some new animations.
- file size reduced to 122 Mo.
- French translation.