Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage [MAGS July 2017]

Started by DBoyWheeler, Tue 18/07/2017 19:00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

My entry into the July 2017 MAGS Competition is done!

Behold...

Heavy Metal Nannulf: The Strange Stage

Get it here: http://paladindboy.gamejolt.io/nannulfmagsjuly2017

A band is visiting the neighborhood of Nannulf Tungmetall, a serious heavy metal and rock music aficionado, but something is preventing them from coming out on stage.  Nannulf decides to investigate!

The songs here (only two) were made by Kevin MacLeod of www.incompetech.com (he's got some cool tunes).  Sound Effects (only three, but those are probably all that are needed) from RPG Maker XP.

All the rest provided by me, D-BoyWheeler!

Anyway, check this game out!

Click'd

DBoyWheeler

Well... after uploading it, I tried to transfer it to my external hard drive and things started to f*** up!

I accidentally deleted the files trying to fix the problems with transfer, so I can't fix the game anymore.  It is what it is.

BTW, I know it looks like the Monty Python department of silly walks, but I'm not good with animating, okay?

Shadow1000

I played the game.

Friendly characters, decent and good concept for a short game. The main character's walk cycle looks really weird...

I missed the connection to the contest theme.

DBoyWheeler

Well, the theme has the character visit an area three times.

So, Nannulf here visits the main stage three times:
Spoiler

(1) At the intro
(2) In the middle of the game to see what he hadn't noticed the first time around--in this case, what Viggo thought was a bad luck omen, but in reality was a discarded toy.
(3) The ending, where he introduces--and guest stars with--the band.
[close]

Shadow1000

Ah...that's clever! Definitely meets the contest's theme! Good luck!

horusr

It is some nice little game. I wished we can look into drawers and stuff or just hear what is in them, but it is ok.
The only annoying thing is character... was... too... slow... Or the corridor was too long.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: horusr on Tue 18/07/2017 21:03:59
It is some nice little game. I wished we can look into drawers and stuff or just hear what is in them, but it is ok.
The only annoying thing is character... was... too... slow... Or the corridor was too long.

Most likely the corridor.  I wanted to space out the doors so the rooms would be so Tardis-ish.

Click'd

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Tue 18/07/2017 19:52:35
BTW, I know it looks like the Monty Python department of silly walks, but I'm not good with animating, okay?
Okay. No, seriously. I didn't mean to attack you.

horusr

You can change doors's location from middle of the rooms to side of the rooms like "____||_||_____||_||____"
Or just make corridor two sided like "===;;===;;==="
And you can always ask me "wtf are you doing there?" because I don't know too.

And I think there won't be problem with legs animations in our game because we will cut them!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: horusr on Tue 18/07/2017 21:12:20
You can change doors's location from middle of the rooms to side of the rooms like "____||_||_____||_||____"
Or just make corridor two sided like "===;;===;;==="
And you can always ask me "wtf are you doing there?" because I don't know too.

And I think there won't be problem with legs animations in our game because we will cut them!

Well, I can't change it now.  I was trying to transfer my files to my external hard drive, but my computer was starting to f*** up!  And in my rush to transfer files, I accidentally deleted them, including the original AGS file that made it possible to update it.

So now it's kinda stuck as is.

horusr

Oh sorry to hear that. Well, at least you could upload them!

DBoyWheeler

Yeah.  Maybe in a future MAGS (or otherwise Adventure Game Studio project) I can finally get help with it.

Because:
(1) While not abysmal at animating, animation isn't my strong point either.
(2) If I had a team, I could get done with games much quicker.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Deboywheeler!!  I am amazed you entered this so early again... would you consider pulling this and letting me help out a bit before the deadline?

Well done anyway on getting is done.. I am downloading now and will give it a shot this evening :)

Mandle

Just finished playing the game...

Nice story and what felt like a cute mini fetch-quest from a larger game. But it's MAGS, and you lost your game file, silly you, so shortcomings are easily forgiven...

I had a fun time and the doll was cute!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk