MAGS August "The Bible" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/08/2017 00:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS August?

Noah's Quest by Slasher
1 (8.3%)
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit by Mandle
2 (16.7%)
10 Ways From Sunday by HanaIndiana
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 15/09/2017 03:34:20

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 19/08/2017 11:20:22
QuoteI did a little work tonight on the system for setting up the personal relationships between the disciples.
Mandle: I really hope you can pull it off (nod)

Cheers mate... I really hope so too...

My vision for the A.I. is pretty ambitious so we will see... I'm only working on it in fits and starts because I'm building up the system in my head before I code so as to not just wing it and end up with a mess that even I don't understand the workings of, which has happened to me in the past many times...

Whether this becomes an actual entry or not is still very much up in the air... I shall try, but I'm not going to rush the process or kill myself to have to meet the deadline...

Here's hoping though...

EDITED UPDATE: I think I have the bit properly coded tonight that allows a better-than-average chance that the guilty party will try to frame someone they dislike (if they have such a grude), rather than a random target...

This should help the player narrow down their search for the guilty one in some scenarios...

Still no idea how hard it will be to figure out who the villain is though... or how stupidly easy...

HanaIndiana

Balance is tough, but you can do it Mandle! :)

I'm plugging along.. slowly but surely. Drawing takes me foorrreeevveerrr. Blah.

Mandle

Ohhhhhh... I want to play some Stairway To Heaven on that pipe organ!

Looking lovely, mate!

Slasher

Ooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (laugh)

Glad you have made some progress HanaIndiana (nod)
I'm plugging along.. slowly but surely. Drawing takes me foorrreeevveerrr. Blah.
Try using two hands at the same time (laugh)

This place is starting to hot up now 8-)

Mandle: You can do it.... persevere and don't take any prisoners ;)

Come on guys: Get some in (laugh)

If an old fogey can do something so can you (laugh)

Gurok

Hana, it may take you a long time, but I think that screenshot looks really good!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

jahnocli

I've got an idea for a game which is rapidly becoming difficult to do within the next few days!

When the cursor passes over each image I'd like a speech bubble to come out of their mouths, and when a box is clicked on I'd like a cross to appear in the box, a short message to appear and then be redirected to another room. Like this:

I'm struggling with the code for this: can anyone help?

(PS - Character images are copyright Bryan Ballinger at breadwig.com. I've written to him and he's given me permission to use them in a non-commercial game.)
Life is a puzzle, a quest and an adventure

DBoyWheeler

(to Jahnocli)
Must... resist... urge... to... make... Monty Python... reference...

jahnocli

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 20/08/2017 12:53:41
(to Jahnocli)
Must... resist... urge... to... make... Monty Python... reference...
Don't resist! Go for it!!
Life is a puzzle, a quest and an adventure

DBoyWheeler

(to Jahnocli)

Okay...

We are the Knights Who Say... Ni!!!

Mandle

A week to go and I haven't had the time to do anything since my last post...

It's looking grim for my entry, but you never know...

Miracles are in the Bible after all...

EDIT: Posting this made me feel guilty enough to stay up too late and work on the game. I managed to properly code the interface that shows each disciple's alibis for the whole day as you hover over them with the mouse.

This is much better than my original (stupid) design plan to make the player ask each disciple about each time period seperately and have to either remember them (yeah, right, I want the player to feel like Sherlock, not actually have to be him) or write them down somewhere, possibly on the same paper they were writing down their complaints list about how clunky the game was to play...

So... positive progress...

HanaIndiana

Quoteor write them down somewhere, possibly on the same paper they were writing down their complaints list about how clunky the game was to play...

HaHa Mandle!
This is what I imagine...

Mandle

Did a lot of work on the game tonight and all is working fine...

Probably still not going to be able to deliver a 100% finished game, but hopefully something playable at least...

Here's a screenie showing where the Roman soldiers were spotted by the disciple Matthew and when:

Still missing the graphics that show the time of day in the game. But they have been made and installed...
So.... yeah... the Roman soldiers were at the Tavern at mid-morning, and at the Temple at noon, and then back to the Tavern in the early afternoon...

The Tavern is their ancient version of a donut shop perhaps?

xBRANEx

Wow, Mandle, that looks really interesting!

Can't wait to play all the games!

SilverSpook

Lol, awesome concept, Mandle. Should be a great time!

Mandle

Cheers for the good words guys... It really keeps me plugging on...

Tonight I got the coding done for questioning each disciple about who else they saw at each location and at what time:

What you are looking at is that I clicked on James The Younger (2nd from left) and then hovered over Bartholomew (1st from left) and discovered that James claims he saw Bartholomew at the Baths at sunset (furthest right time-zone), which is shown by the "disciple" icon showing up under that time/location (the guy with the halo)...

In this case, he is not lying and they both were actually there, and you could question Bartholomew and find that he claims James at the same time and place...

Yeah, I still haven't implemented the time-zone icons to show clearly what each one is so this whole post is probably very confusing...

I also plan to put a marker above the disciple you are currently questioning about others so you can click on it and go back to normal mode where you mouseover to only see their info... This probably makes this post even more confusing... But it kinda makes sense to me...

Let's just say I made progress and pretend it happened. (laugh)

Slasher

QuoteIn this case, he is not lying and they both were actually there, and you could question Bartholomew and find that he claims James at the same time and place...
Your game reminds me of an old parlour game...

I hope you pull it off well, Mandle (nod)

HanaIndiana

Yeah, the game sounds really interesting Mandle! I'm looking forward to it.
Mine still has a bunch left to do. I'm trying to push to some kind of finish line.

Mandle

As is usual for the final push I've stayed up until 3AM coding stuff which makes the game do probably pretty boring stuff:

Here we can see that we are questioning Judas about his daily schedule leading up to the betrayal of Christ and that, while hovering over Simon on the far right, we found out that Judas had seen Simon in the Market around twilight at the same time the Roman soldiers were there...(the disciple icon under the market label paired with the roman soldier helmet icon tells us they might have met up...)

Did Simon take the 30 pieces of silver and betray Christ to the soldiers in the last rays of sunlight in the market?

Hmmmmm... very suspicious... But not enough yet to close the case...

And not enough yet to release a game...

But tomorrow I'm off from work so the final push is on for real!!!

Slasher

QuoteBut tomorrow I'm off from work so the final push is on for real!!!
I really hope you get to deliver a playable game on time Mandle (nod)

I can't understand anyone releasing a game half baked...

Time is something we could all do with more of....

Good luck mate  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk