MAGS August "The Bible" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/08/2017 00:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS August?

Noah's Quest by Slasher
1 (8.3%)
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit by Mandle
2 (16.7%)
10 Ways From Sunday by HanaIndiana
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 15/09/2017 03:34:20

Stupot

Looks really intriguing Mandle.

How is everyone else getting on? Just over 48 hours to go!

HanaIndiana

Just stayed up until midnight last night, putting a lot more in. Mine will be buggy, I guarantee, but I think it will be finished enough to post. Yay! I'm throwing in my voice files tonight, and last minute recordings. I'm hoping I'm allowed to work on it until tomorrow night (California time), so I can post everything after work, and not have to scramble in the morning.

Stupot

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Wed 30/08/2017 16:33:03
I'm hoping I'm allowed to work on it until tomorrow night (California time), so I can post everything after work, and not have to scramble in the morning.
Unfortunately, this time I don't really have the time to administer the contest after tomorrow morning, Japan time. I'm working all weekend and I won't have time in the evenings, so the very latest I can stretch it is 11am Japan time on the first (3am British or 7pm Californian on 31st). Not much of an extension I know but it's that or wait til Tuesday and I'd rather not do that.

Mandle

I've been feeling sick since yesterday and haven't been able to work on my game. I probably will be sleeping early tonight after work as well. :-X

An extension over the weekend would be wonderful actually if possible.

HanaIndiana

If I can have until 7pm on the 31st, I'll take it!

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 30/08/2017 23:26:31
I've been feeling sick since yesterday and haven't been able to work on my game. I probably will be sleeping early tonight after work as well. :-X

Actually nevermind... I'm feeling much better today so I almost have the game "finished", at least as a playable beta version with the core mechanics done...

I had to leave out a lot of planned stuff but the game should be playable as a basic puzzle game... And I'm interested to see how hard or easy the game is for players in its basic state before adding more complications... So this MAGS release can be a beta-testing phase...

Releasing soon...

Slasher

QuoteMandle: And I'm interested to see how hard or easy the game is for players in its basic state before adding more complications... So this MAGS release can be a beta-testing phase...
As long as we can get from A to C via B without a dead-end it will be fine and I admire your steps into the unknown (nod)

Hope your sickness has passed yonder (nod)

Giddy up to the final fence HanaIndiana (nod)

See you ALL at the Tape (laugh)

Mandle

THE LAST SUPPER, A WHODUNNIT

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

A game I made during the last two weeks of August for the MAGS contest, the theme of which was "The Bible".

Can you figure out who betrayed Christ to the Roman soldiers for 30 pieces of silver by examining the alibis of the disciples and finding the one that doesn't add up?

The game has a lot of behind-the-scenes A.I. work done in the code (including motives, framing of innocents by the guilty party, gossip between disciples when they met during the day, friend/foe relationships between the disciples, etc.), but which I did not have the time to implement, so for now it's just a simple puzzle like you might encounter as a mini-game in a larger game...

But it works and might be fun until you figure out the system to beat it every time. Shouldn't take you too long.

Click on the "RULES" label in the top-left for instructions. A better tutorial will hopefully be in future versions.

If the gameplay is unclear please post in the completed games thread and I will explain it more fully.

IMPORTANT: THE GAME IS RANDOMLY GENERATED EACH TIME YOU PLAY. THE GUILTY ONE WILL NOT JUST BE JUDAS. IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF THE DISCIPLES.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 30/08/2017 23:26:31
Sorry, man. I didn't catch this. To be honest though I'd rather get it finished today coz the next chance I've got to procress the entries is Tuesday morning. And even then I'm not sure how much time I'd have. Glad you got your entry in in the end. It looks fun.

Anyone else still in? Just over one hour to go.

HanaIndiana

Here's my entry!  Let me apologize in advance for the bugginess. :)
DOWNLOAD HERE

Stupot

Phew. Glad you made it, Hana. I was just about to close it down.

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Noah's Quest by Slasher
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit by Mandle
10 Ways From Sunday by HanaIndiana

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: September 14th

Mandle

Well, thanks a lot Hana! Your game cut into the nap-time I needed today after staying up until 3:00AM last night to get mine released!

I was only going to play while I ate lunch, but got so engrossed that I had to finish it.

It was awesome!!!

I especially liked...

Spoiler
Slasher as the Devil... It's funny you know, I guess on some level I always suspected.

I was also wondering if we're actually going to do the entire list and, yup, you didn't pull any punches! LOVE IT!!!
[close]

Thanks for the great fun!

Now I break the 11th:

THOU SHALT NOT NAP AT WORK

HanaIndiana

Thanks Mandle! :grin: I'm glad you found it fun.
I stayed up too late too, so I'm not going to touch any games until tomorrow. Okay... I may have peeked a little. Something to look forward to.
I'm curious if you noticed...
Spoiler
There are two options for completing Commandment #6. There were supposed to be three, but I ran out of time. Who did you choose?
[close]

Danvzare

Awesome. I'm going to play all of these first thing tomorrow morning, and then cast my vote as soon as I've completed them. :-D

Mandle

I just put in my vote.

At the end of the day I had to vote for:

Spoiler
10 Ways From Sunday.

SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler

Noah's Quest was also a really fun game that I had a great time playing, but I couldn't resist the charm of a game that makes you break the 10 Commandments in an adventure game format. This was an inspired idea by HanaIndiana! A kind of anti-quest. And also the end credits sequence was both touching and hilarious! Would you rather be in Heaven alone or in Hell with the one you love most? Nice commentary there on the human condition!
[close]
[close]

Click'd

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 02/09/2017 12:53:48
Spoiler

I couldn't resist the charm of a game that makes you break the 10 Commandments in an adventure game format.
[close]
You might want to look at Four Last Things, which combines
Spoiler
having to commit the seven cardinal sins with an artistic approach similar to your game.
[close]
http://store.steampowered.com/app/503400/Four_Last_Things/

Blondbraid

So I just played through all the games and I've voted.

Noah's Quest
Now, I don't want to come off as rude, but the graphics made my eyes hurt, everything was far too saturated and every sprite was in a different art-style and resolution. :(
But otherwise it's not a bad game, the puzzles for collecting the animals were quite good and the music was very beautiful.

The Last Supper, A Whodunnit
Well, I already knew who did it when I started the game, but it was a fun idea in it's simplicity.

10 Ways From Sunday
It was a fun game, and the voice acting was great, but I did not like the cursor, it had a rather unintuitive shape that made it
needlessly difficult to know where you were clicking, I would have preferred to play with a regular, arrow-shaped cursor.
But otherwise, it 's a charming game and I chose to vote for it.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 02/09/2017 23:53:07
The Last Supper, A Whodunnit
Well, I already knew who did it when I started the game, but it was a fun idea in it's simplicity.

It's random each time you play the game. Do you mean that you just happened to get Judas as the guilty one on the first game?

I have added this to the game description to correct my oversight in this regard:

IMPORTANT: THE GAME IS RANDOMLY GENERATED EACH TIME YOU PLAY. THE GUILTY ONE WILL NOT JUST BE JUDAS. IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF THE DISCIPLES.

HanaIndiana

I finished a couple rounds of The Last Supper, A Whodunnit. I really enjoyed the look of the game, and the idea behind it. I'm impressed with people
who can come up with logic puzzles like this, especially so quickly :) Nice work Mandle! It took me a couple tries, and a couple reads of the rules, but then I got it.
I second the thought that being able to exit questioning mode, via a right-click, would be a nice addition.
I solved my Whodunnit, but it was literally the VERY last questioner, with the VERY last questionee. The whole time I'm thinking.. "I must not be doing something right." (laugh)
(It was the farthest guy on the right. I'm not sure who that is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.)
It would be fun to play the more flushed-out version you had intended.

Mandle

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Sun 03/09/2017 02:16:29
(It was the farthest guy on the right. I'm not sure who that is, and I'm too lazy to look it up.)

Ah, that would be Simon. Yeah, after you spend a few hours tracing the outline of each disciple in Gimp, and then using their names in the code over and over you become a bit of an expert on who's who in the painting. (laugh)

Before making the game I had no idea even that there were two James. And also I must report that Dan Brown is full of it: That's not a woman next to Jesus!

Glad to hear you could win the game: Yeah, because of the random generation, sometimes it's ridiculously easy to win (like when only a few disciples encountered the soldiers over the course of their day) and sometimes it's quite hard (when everyone was running into the soldiers all over the city).

Oh, and in case anyone who has played the game was wondering: Despite the random generation, there is no chance of ever coming up against an unwinnable scenario where nobody saw the betrayer and the soldiers at the same place at the same time. The game makes sure that at least one other disciple was also present to witness betrayer and soldiers together. By random chance there could be more than one witness of course, but there is always at least one.

Cheers for playing and for the feedback! ;-D

EDIT:

I was thinking about all three games just now and thought it interesting that, given the theme of The Bible, only one of the three games made by AGSers could not be considered sacrilegious: "Noah's Quest" could be played by kids at Sunday School I feel. Oh, maybe not: the
Spoiler
hemp seeds
[close]
might raise some eyebrows. But it's not sacrilegious.

"10 Ways From Sunday" is a bit sacrilegious in that you break all the commandments but, at the end of the day, it's the choice of one person, the main character, to do so. It's not a direct corruption of anything in the bible.

Mine is probably the most sacrilegious in that it suggests that any of the disciples could have betrayed Christ, even his beloved John. God help me if any hardcore religious group finds out about my game and calls attention to it in the media...

Or, actually, it could be great publicity! Probably would hit a million downloads! Maybe I should monetize the game ASAP! After all, every one of those Harry Potter books that those religious groups in America burned on those massive bonfires put money into J.K.Rowling's pockets. (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk