Don't Worry, I'll Bring The Beer!

Started by Hobo, Thu 17/08/2017 00:17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo

Download here
Direct link, in case you don't like itch.io

A short and simple point-and-click adventure made for itch.io LOWREZJAM 2017. It's a bit lacking in story and puzzles, since I mainly wanted to experiment with really low-resolution graphics and animations, but there's some weird symbolism and odd situations here and there. Hopefully it will bring a few minutes of fun.

Made by:
Hobo: Graphics, writing and scripting
Cino: Music and testing

Thanks to Lemonhead for the "Extended ALARCOST (BASS) 1.4" template and Strazer\Rui 'Trovatore' Pires for the KeyboardMovement v1.02 module

Click'd

Digging the graphics, will try later.

horusr

Can we steal your font? My game use jack's 3 pixel height font and i hate it :o

Looks nice btw, will download it in the morning and try it when i have time

Hobo

Thanks for the comments ClickClickClick and horusr.

Quote from: horusr on Thu 17/08/2017 02:24:27
Can we steal your font? My game use jack's 3 pixel height font and i hate it :o
Sure, it's probably a bit too half-assed and unfinished for a public release, but I'll PM it to you.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

lorenzo

Nice game, Hobo! I love all the little animations you've put into the scenes, they make them feel alive. So many details in so few pixels!
And for such a short game, there's so much attentions to the menus too. Unfortunately, adventure games rarely have the option to change the player's speed these days, so it was good to have it here.

It was a really short, but really nice game!

Hobo

Thanks Cassie and lorenzo.

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 17/08/2017 20:08:00
Unfortunately, adventure games rarely have the option to change the player's speed these days, so it was good to have it here.
Yeah, it's a feature I would've appreciated in multiple AGS games over the years myself and it's certainly going to be added to all my future games, no matter how short or long they are.

selmiak

Nice one. Don't worry, I longplayed it :)

Hobo

That's awesome, selmiak. Thanks for the playthrough.

Two Tales

What a fun little game. Great upbeat music. I'm impressed with how much atmosphere has been created with so few pixels.

Hobo

Thanks, Two Tales. I was actually surprised by the amount of screen space I had at this resolution, I was expecting it to be much more limiting. Only things I really didn't have any room for were longer conversations and a proper dialogue system.

Hobo

The results for the itch.io LOWREZJAM 2017 are in and I'm very happy to announce that out of 235 games submitted "Don't Worry, I'll Bring The Beer!" was ranked 10th overall and 4th in graphics!

selmiak

yay, congrats Hobo, that's quite impressive! 8-)

josiah1221

Congrats Hobo! I loved this little gem, hope to see you do more lowrez games :)

Hobo

Thanks, selmiak and josiah1221! It certainly exceeded my expectations, I guess people still enjoy point-and-clicks.

Quote from: josiah1221 on Thu 24/08/2017 02:39:43
Congrats Hobo! I loved this little gem, hope to see you do more lowrez games :)
Depends what you consider lowres :) Unless it's for another gamejam, I doubt I'll make another 64x64 game, but since I can only draw pixel art, then according to modern standards all my future projects will certainly be pretty much lowrez.

Caldi

I thought the low-res graphics worked to the advantage of the surreal narrative. A simple design, well executed, that generated plenty of intrigue to carry the story. Well worth a download!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Hobo on Thu 17/08/2017 00:17:04

Download here
Direct link, in case you don't like itch.io

A short and simple point-and-click adventure made for itch.io LOWREZJAM 2017. It's a bit lacking in story and puzzles, since I mainly wanted to experiment with really low-resolution graphics and animations, but there's some weird symbolism and odd situations here and there. Hopefully it will bring a few minutes of fun.

Made by:
Hobo: Graphics, writing and scripting
Cino: Music and testing

Thanks to Lemonhead for the "Extended ALARCOST (BASS) 1.4" template and Strazer\Rui 'Trovatore' Pires for the KeyboardMovement v1.02 module
Nice animations!
I saw the video, cool idea.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KiraHaraReturns

admirable graphics, I like the minimalistic usage of pixels and nice soundtrack anyway

eri0o

This looks so good! :O I love this! Just followed you in itch.io! :D

Hobo

I guess I'm a bit late with responding, but it's nice to see a bump in plays and comments for this one. Thanks to everyone, who either tried it or watched the playthrough and all kinds of feedback is of course always welcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk