C0000005 exception

Started by Radiant, Wed 16/08/2017 06:21:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

What would the following exception be for? It looks like a nullpointer but I don't recognize the EIP.

An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x100011BC ; program pointer is -23, ACI version 3.3.0.1162, gtags (0,0)

Crimson Wizard

EIP -23 was at StartPlugins call, which calls "engineStartup" in every loaded plugin.
(I say "was" because it is no longer there in the latest build.)

Radiant

Interesting, thank you CW. So what's going on here is that the (latest version of the) Steam plugin is throwing a nullpointer exception. That's going to be tricky to debug, isn't it :(

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 16/08/2017 20:41:35
Investigating program code... there were numerous 0xC000005 errors I fixed in the engine before, that were actually errors in AGS itself.

Hmm... would it make sense to fall back to stub code if a plugin fails to initialize? I know this plugin has stubs for Linux, does that also apply to the Windows build?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 16/08/2017 21:30:40
Hmm... would it make sense to fall back to stub code if a plugin fails to initialize? I know this plugin has stubs for Linux, does that also apply to the Windows build?

AGSSteam stubs are not built into the engine, AFAIK monkey0506 created a separate DLL which just does nothing, and used as a stub.
Also, if the place was pinpointed correctly, this occurs already after the plugin was initialized, if it was not, engine would not call engineStartup in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk