[ RELEASED] Dreams in the Witch House

Started by rongel, Mon 21/08/2017 14:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rongel

Dreams in the Witch House has now a Teaser Trailer!

https://youtu.be/Z889XCE-Zq0

And a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thewitchhousegame

Go and like, follow, comment, subscribe, donate, worship etc!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

Matti

Sweet! Nice trailer  :)

heltenjon

That's some of the scariest music I've heard!  8-0

rongel

Quote from: Matti on Mon 07/06/2021 19:27:09
Sweet! Nice trailer  :)

Thanks! There will be a longer trailer at some point, this is just to get the wheels slowly rolling.

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 07/06/2021 20:34:50
That's some of the scariest music I've heard!  8-0

Yes, Troy Sterling Nies who is composing the music is a star! He is a frequent collaborator with the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society and composed the music for "Call of Cthulhu" and "The Whisperer in Darkness" feature films for example. I'm really lucky to have him onboard!

cacaro

This looks really amazing, can't wait to try it. Any tentative release date/window?

rongel

Quote from: cacaro on Thu 10/06/2021 08:56:56
This looks really amazing, can't wait to try it. Any tentative release date/window?

Hey thanks, nice to hear that! I'm hoping that the game could be released at the end of the year, but I can't say nothing concrete yet. Of course, when I can, I will let everybody know it! 

ThreeOhFour

Yo this looks awesome!

rongel

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sat 19/06/2021 09:36:29
Yo this looks awesome!
Thanks!  ;-D

Also, there's now 10.000 sprites in the game!  :-D

newwaveburritos

That's amazing!  I just passed the 1,000 mark so imagining ten times that number is astonishing to me as I can't imagine what that feels like since a thousand was a lot of work!  Really looking forward to this.

rongel

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Sun 11/07/2021 16:18:10
That's amazing!  I just passed the 1,000 mark so imagining ten times that number is astonishing to me as I can't imagine what that feels like since a thousand was a lot of work!  Really looking forward to this.

It sure is a very nice looking number in the editor! But I've been working on the game from 2016, so it all just slowly adds up. Also some special effects use a lot of frames, so it's not all character animation. Keep at it!

Laura Hunt

IOAWN4T has over 15k, it was crazy seeing the number go up and up and up and wondering when it would stop!

Really happy to know that the finish line is getting closer ;-D This is literally the only Lovecraft-based/inspired game that has caught my interest in a very, very long time and I'm dying to get my hands on it.

Quote from: rongel on Mon 07/06/2021 12:14:16
And a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thewitchhousegame

Wouldn't twitter be a better option? I thought Facebook was pretty much dead, and twitter is where it's "at" for indie game development right now (well, TikTok too, but that one's for the younger 'uns mostly :-D).

rongel

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 12/07/2021 13:10:58
IOAWN4T has over 15k, it was crazy seeing the number go up and up and up and wondering when it would stop!
Wow! I played IOAWN4T (catchy abbreviation!) and really liked it. It's amazing how many sprites have been crammed into a relatively short game. I guess the amazing visuals require a lot of material!

QuoteReally happy to know that the finish line is getting closer ;-D This is literally the only Lovecraft-based/inspired game that has caught my interest in a very, very long time and I'm dying to get my hands on it.
Very nice to hear that!  ;-D Currently working on the last missing "scenario", after that some polishing, gameplay balancing, bug fixing and sound work.

QuoteWouldn't twitter be a better option? I thought Facebook was pretty much dead, and twitter is where it's "at" for indie game development right now (well, TikTok too, but that one's for the younger 'uns mostly :-D).
Probably! I'm not great at social media, and actually just recently signed up to Facebook to do a bit of promoting, I didn't even have a personal account before that. So at this rate I'll probably join Twitter when it's starting to die down.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: rongel on Mon 12/07/2021 14:08:05
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 12/07/2021 13:10:58
Wow! I played IOAWN4T (catchy abbreviation!) and really liked it. It's amazing how many sprites have been crammed into a relatively short game. I guess the amazing visuals require a lot of material!

SO MANY animations *has flashbacks*

Quote from: rongel on Mon 12/07/2021 14:08:05
QuoteWouldn't twitter be a better option? I thought Facebook was pretty much dead, and twitter is where it's "at" for indie game development right now (well, TikTok too, but that one's for the younger 'uns mostly :-D).
Probably! I'm not great at social media, and actually just recently signed up to Facebook to do a bit of promoting, I didn't even have a personal account before that. So at this rate I'll probably join Twitter when it's starting to die down.

Is it a commercial game? Because if it is, you can't afford to be "not great at social media" :-D It's one of those things that you simply need to get good at, or at least get a decent hang of, otherwise all those years you've spent working on your game will be for nothing. There are so many indie games coming out every month, it's crazy out there! And I see so many devs with fantastic-looking games just sitting on their social media accounts waiting to somehow be magically discovered by someone but they don't follow almost anybody, they don't interact with anybody, they don't help others out, and it's really sad because some of those games deserve so much attention. Unfortunately, marketing/networking/promotion/whathaveyou is just as much an integral part of game development as coding or audio design or writing a good story.

As to Facebook, I think the main issue is that the whole weight of promotion rests solely on your shoulders because the share functionality doesn't get used that often (I might be wrong though, I deleted my account like 5 years ago and maybe things have changed!) whereas on twitter, sure, you have to do a lot of heavy lifting, but if a couple of accounts with thousands of followers decide to retweet something you've posted, you get a huge visibility boost. The way I see it, it's more community- and network-based, which encourages discoverability, whereas Facebook feels more like a place where you would create a "fan page" for people who already know your work.

So yeah, I would definitely recommend getting on twitter! There is a very decent point-and-click community on there and a lot of us would be more than happy to give you a boost! ;-D

rongel

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Tue 13/07/2021 15:04:03
Is it a commercial game? Because if it is, you can't afford to be "not great at social media" :-D
Yep, that's the plan. And yes, social media is of course very important if I want people to find my game. If I throw stuff to the internet, without having an existing fan base, no one will ever find it. If I should get the perfect publisher, that would make the marketing easier on my part.

The best way to promote stuff, in my opinion, is to get other people to say good things about it. Preferably people who have a large audience. But I will definetely consider joining Twitter, when the time comes. Currently I've used all of my brain capacity to finish the game, and I don't want to disturb that process!

newwaveburritos

I just joined Twitter last night for Kola Queen and almost immediately got a much greater than expected reception.  I did share probably the coolest piece of art that I have ready to go, though.  I think Laura Hunt's advice is very good.  Just engage with people with the vibe you want and they'll do the same for you.  Like anything else, it's probably better to do five minutes a day on Twitter (or whatever) than four hours all at once at the last minute.

rongel

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Wed 14/07/2021 23:10:57
I just joined Twitter last night for Kola Queen and almost immediately got a much greater than expected reception.  I did share probably the coolest piece of art that I have ready to go, though.  I think Laura Hunt's advice is very good.  Just engage with people with the vibe you want and they'll do the same for you. 
Ok, good to know!

QuoteLike anything else, it's probably better to do five minutes a day on Twitter (or whatever) than four hours all at once at the last minute.
True! I misspoke earlier about finishing the game first, I meant that I need to focus on this last "scenario" I'm working on, and finish it first, before I do anything else. Still lots to tinker with after that!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: rongel on Wed 14/07/2021 22:10:13If I should get the perfect publisher, that would make the marketing easier on my part.

Oh, you're thinking about releasing it with a publisher? That would be amazing indeed! Best of luck with that and let us know how it goes ;-D

TheVolumeRemote

This looks absolutely magnificent!! Love the atmosphere and character design!! Really excited for this, great work mate!

rongel

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Fri 16/07/2021 07:47:05
Oh, you're thinking about releasing it with a publisher? That would be amazing indeed! Best of luck with that and let us know how it goes ;-D
Yes, I think that could be a viable option, I could concentrate on the things I like, instead of running a business. I'll definetely let you which route I'll take and how it goes!  ;-D

Quote from: TheVolumeRemote on Sat 17/07/2021 04:21:28
This looks absolutely magnificent!! Love the atmosphere and character design!! Really excited for this, great work mate!
Thanks, great to hear that!  ;-D

Dualnames

Actually, social media is irrelevant to sales. Unlike popular belief. You can check a study that concludes to that since last year. SM helps create a sense of community which supports your things, but in terms of it revolving into sales it's not.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk