[ RELEASED] Dreams in the Witch House

Started by rongel, Mon 21/08/2017 14:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rongel

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 11/04/2019 11:34:36
this looks very nice. Just wondering, do I have a dirty mind (I do) or does that sign really say Coffee anal? Must taste pretty shitty lol

8-0 You sure have! Well, there might be others who see it that way too, so I might add a few extra pixels there. Then we can all have a nice coffee AND a donut!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

rongel

Hello there!

It's been ages since I last posted an update, so here's something new for you. I've been working a lot on the game recently, and it's starting to be actually fun to play! Still, a lot of work to be done, mostly because of the non-linear structure of the game, and balancing all the game mechanics and variables.

This is a robbery! This encounter is a random event which may or may not happen. There are other encounters too, and I would love to add even more, but best to keep it simple for now. Walter can try to escape, even fight, and a planned feature is that he can file a report to police, and with some luck get back his money later on. So it's not Game Over when robbery happens. And no, there isn't a fight minigame!

What is going on here? Let's hope it's just a bad dream...

Laura Hunt

Loving everything about this so far! How much longer are you going to make us wait for it? ;)

rongel

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 12/09/2019 11:04:40
Loving everything about this so far! How much longer are you going to make us wait for it? ;)

Thanks, nice to hear that! Maybe one year more...?  :-D

Matti

Take your time! I'm gladly waiting if that means mor features/encounters and better balancing  :)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: rongel on Thu 12/09/2019 11:16:13
Thanks, nice to hear that! Maybe one year more...?  :-D

Quote from: Matti on Thu 12/09/2019 15:20:09
Take your time! I'm gladly waiting if that means mor features/encounters and better balancing  :)

How dare you be logical and reasonable! We want pretty game now. :-D

TheFrighter

Quote from: rongel on Thu 12/09/2019 10:54:40

So it's not Game Over when robbery happens.

Game Over are possible in this game?

_

rongel

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 12/09/2019 17:44:54
Game Over are possible in this game?

Yes, if Walter's hitpoints drop to zero before the May-Eve. Ofcourse you gain hitpoints when resting, eating, using medicine or potions. So it's not that easy to die.

mkennedy

Can the robbery happen anywhere or is it more likely if Walter is in certain areas? For the fight and escape options is there a random number generated to determine success? The easiest option I would assume would be to hand over all your money, but would it be possible for Walter to store his money and other valuables in his room or Elwood's place and how would the  robber react?

rongel

Quote from: mkennedy on Fri 13/09/2019 16:36:10
Can the robbery happen anywhere or is it more likely if Walter is in certain areas? For the fight and escape options is there a random number generated to determine success? The easiest option I would assume would be to hand over all your money, but would it be possible for Walter to store his money and other valuables in his room or Elwood's place and how would the  robber react?

Right now the robbery can happen when travelling at night around Arkham. There is a fancy random room that is generated when the encounter happens. It's quite simple at the moment, the robber might leave you some money by mistake. And if you're broke, there is nothing to lose. Walter isn't a fighter, so that's a bad option unless you have somekind of advantage.

mkennedy

Quote from: rongel on Fri 13/09/2019 19:49:03
Right now the robbery can happen when travelling at night around Arkham. There is a fancy random room that is generated when the encounter happens. It's quite simple at the moment, they robber might leave you some money by mistake. And if you're broke, there is nothing to lose. Walter isn't a fighter, so that's a bad option unless you have somekind of advantage.

That makes sense about the fighting, even if Walter did have a knife or even a gun I imagine that he'd have to explain things to the police if he had to use it on some thug. But a fake gun might be enough to scare the thug off, (unless he can tell it's a fake).

rongel

Happy New Year!  :=

Here's a couple of GIFs to start the year: Alchemy and Chemistry GUIs.

Walter can make three different potions if he knows the recipes for them (or if he's very lucky). Basically the alchemy and chemistry are the same, so you can replace some of the required ingredients with synthetic substances.  For example you could use Pyrite instead of Fool's Gold if you have basic alchemy / chemistry knowledge. The actual "minigame" is very simple, you just add the right amont of ingredients and the potion will be distilled automatically.

Chemistry:

Alchemy:

Matti

rongel

Quote from: Matti on Thu 02/01/2020 11:15:29
Beautiful gifs  :)

Thanks Matti! It's a pain to make a decent GIF, but I guess it's still the best format for a quick animation preview.

Cassiebsg

I agree, those animations look great.  (nod)
And yes, gifs are a pain, but seems to still be the only option to display an animation short of using video...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gendgi

oh man this looks brilliant, you had me at lovecraft lol but the graphics look amazing also  :-D

rongel

Hello there!

Still alive and kicking! It's been ages since I last updated this thread, I'm sorry about that. First I had too much other work, and after that I started working on the game so furiously, that I had no patience to do updates. So the good news is that for the last 1.5  months I've been working on "The Witch House" full-time. Currently working on the ending, which is a big part of the game. There are several different endings and combinations of endings, depending on player's actions. So it's a lot of work, but finally it's starting to shape up.

And exciting news considering the music! Troy Sterling Nies (who composed The Whisperer in Darkness and The Call of Cthulhu films for example) has started composing music for the game, and it sounds great! Really exciting to see the game coming together.

I don't want to show too much of the ending (at least not yet), so here's a still from Elwood's room:

Elwood is Walter's neighbour, and a fellow university student. Walter can relax at his place, and even spend the night to avoid the nightly terrors at his own room.

rongel

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 17/06/2020 09:01:41
Great news! I'm so hyped for this ;-D

Thanks! I'm hyped for Winter's Night!

ToeKnee

So exciting.... Well done with awesome graphics and what will undoubtedly be great game-play... Once you finish it you will have something for the rest of your life you can be proud of and 'own'.... well done
If it’s not broken, let’s fix it till it is...!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk