[ RELEASED] Dreams in the Witch House

Started by rongel, Mon 21/08/2017 14:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rongel

Quote from: ToeKnee on Wed 17/06/2020 17:28:11
So exciting.... Well done with awesome graphics and what will undoubtedly be great game-play... Once you finish it you will have something for the rest of your life you can be proud of and 'own'.... well done
Thanks for the nice words!  ;-D There is still a lot to do, so I need to keep my feet on the ground.
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

SarahLiz

Whew!  I’m so relieved that you’re still working on this gameâ€"I was getting worried!

Every update/new screenshot looks so, so good!!

rongel

Quote from: SarahLiz on Thu 25/06/2020 21:56:47
Whew!  I’m so relieved that you’re still working on this gameâ€"I was getting worried!

Every update/new screenshot looks so, so good!!

Thanks, very nice to hear that!

The game is far beyond being abandoned, but real life and other work have a habit of delaying it. I'll try to post updates more often, so that I won't cause any unnecessary worries.  :-D

rongel

Hi everybody!

I wanted to share something new, so here's a GIF of the Miskatonic river and the Unvisited Island. What are those mysterious lights on the island? Is someone there?

It's been about two years(!) since I shared the day version of the same location, so it was about time. Fortunately the evening and night versions have been completed long ago, but now there's little more activity on the island.

I've been working on the game now full-time for several months and this quote by Tom Cargill starts to make sense: The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.

Because I started to make the game with relatively no experience in coding, I think I have redone it now several times. Nice thing is that when you condense a huge block of bad script into a nice, tight package, it's kind of purifying feeling, like you just cleaned your house. And the game is now much easier to work on and edit, when it's standing on a solid ground.

But a very daunting task is looming in the horizon... Deciding how to publish the game! It is something that I need to focus on quite soon, and make some tough decisions!

KyriakosCH

Looks great :)

By the way, this story is among those which I translated, for the new Greek edition of HPL's complete works ^_^
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

rongel

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 10/09/2020 12:40:46
Looks great :)

Thanks! I haven't read the story in few years, and at this point I kind of dread it. Who knows what I have missed!

TheFrighter

Quote from: rongel on Thu 10/09/2020 08:56:55

I wanted to share something new, so here's a GIF of the Miskatonic river and the Unvisited Island. What are those mysterious lights on the island? Is someone there?

But a very daunting task is looming in the horizon... Deciding how to publish the game! It is something that I need to focus on quite soon, and make some tough decisions!

Are you planning to make it commercial? Cool idea... but personally I don't like Steam...

_

rongel

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 10/09/2020 17:43:09
Are you planning to make it commercial? Cool idea... but personally I don't like Steam...

That is the idea currently, and it could make further development possible. There are many places where you can buy and sell games, so you could probably get it from somewhere else too.

Dualnames

I think the game looks marvelous <3, would definitely buy it!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

rongel

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 23/09/2020 16:58:14
I think the game looks marvelous <3, would definitely buy it!

Hey, thanks! Great to hear that from an acclaimed AGSer!

FormosaFalanster

Very impressed at the idea that you are making an "open world" game! Coupled with the survivalist element, this is very innovative! Glad to see a game is coming that is actually different from the usual ones!

rongel

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Mon 28/09/2020 09:30:37
Very impressed at the idea that you are making an "open world" game! Coupled with the survivalist element, this is very innovative! Glad to see a game is coming that is actually different from the usual ones!

Hey thanks, I like it too!  :=

I think the short story fits well into an open world game. But I can see why people don't do these kinds of game more often, it's a horrible amount of work! And if you change one thing, it's probably going to break ten other things. Still, doing something a bit different is a big motivator for me.

selmiak

Quote from: rongel on Thu 02/01/2020 10:43:02
Happy New Year!  :=

Here's a couple of GIFs to start the year: Alchemy and Chemistry GUIs.

Walter can make three different potions if he knows the recipes for them (or if he's very lucky). Basically the alchemy and chemistry are the same, so you can replace some of the required ingredients with synthetic substances.  For example you could use Pyrite instead of Fool's Gold if you have basic alchemy / chemistry knowledge. The actual "minigame" is very simple, you just add the right amont of ingredients and the potion will be distilled automatically.

Chemistry:

Alchemy:

this animation is looking so beautiful, can't wait to play that game!

rongel

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 02/10/2020 21:40:10
this animation is looking so beautiful, can't wait to play that game!

Thanks! Yes, the alchemy / chemistry animations work well as a GIFs.  :-D

Mandle

As a tester, and after many playthroughs, I just finally achieved what I'm guessing is one of the "best" endings.

SO satisfying to get that, but, this is Lovecraft, so I'm happy that it didn't let me rest completely at ease.

rongel

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 11/10/2020 04:09:06
As a tester, and after many playthroughs, I just finally achieved what I'm guessing is one of the "best" endings.

SO satisfying to get that, but, this is Lovecraft, so I'm happy that it didn't let me rest completely at ease.

Yes, the occult threat can be postponed, but never won completely. Enjoy your victory while it lasts!  :-D

SarahLiz

Oh, I have been very excited for this one.  I’m sure it’s difficult to decide where/how/if to make it commercial, but I can tell you that I for one, would buy it no matter where you sell or or for what price.  It looks AMAZING.  Keep up the great work!!

rongel

Quote from: SarahLiz on Mon 12/10/2020 22:38:13
Oh, I have been very excited for this one.  I’m sure it’s difficult to decide where/how/if to make it commercial, but I can tell you that I for one, would buy it no matter where you sell or or for what price.  It looks AMAZING.  Keep up the great work!!

Hey, thanks! Very nice to hear that!  :-D

Here's something brand new, straight from the Photoshop:

I finally took the task of replacing some of the placeholder graphics (which I already had accustomed to). This shot is the general city graphic that shows in certain city events. Big part of it will be blocked by an ugly text box, so I decided to share the whole thing here.  :-D

Now, back to drawing the evening and night versions.

Mandle

Yeah, don't put the textbox in the middle of it. That's too much of a shame. Maybe put the text along the top or bottom of the screen?

Matti

Beautiful background!

If the screen will be covered by a textbox, at least make it a beautiful textbox, not an ugly one  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk