Author Topic: The Witch House  (Read 45215 times)

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: The Witch House
« Reply #160 on: 13 Oct 2020, 15:15 »
Beautiful background!

Indeed. That's a gorgeous piece of artwork. I can't stress that enough.  8-0

« Reply #161 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:25 »
Yeah, don't put the textbox in the middle of it. That's too much of a shame. Maybe put the text along the top or bottom of the screen?

Luckily some of the events and actions, like going to the coffee shop don't take so much space. Also, I might use the picture somewhere else too, now that I have it. It's a positive problem, much worse would be if I had to hide an ugly background with a big text box!  :-D

Beautiful background!

If the screen will be covered by a textbox, at least make it a beautiful textbox, not an ugly one  ;)

Thanks, I try!

Indeed. That's a gorgeous piece of artwork. I can't stress that enough.  8-0

Thank you. I'm happy how it turned out be too, although it took a over week to finish it (including the evening and night versions). The bad thing is that when I look at some of the early art, it pales in comparison. But fixing old art to match newer stuff is a doomed cycle, and I don't want to go there, at least yet!

« Reply #162 on: 14 Oct 2020, 18:54 »
Yeah, don't put the textbox in the middle of it. That's too much of a shame. Maybe put the text along the top or bottom of the screen?
Luckily some of the events and actions, like going to the coffee shop don't take so much space. Also, I might use the picture somewhere else too, now that I have it. It's a positive problem, much worse would be if I had to hide an ugly background with a big text box!  :-D
Beautiful background!
If the screen will be covered by a textbox, at least make it a beautiful textbox, not an ugly one  ;)
Thanks, I try!
Maybe an option to have a bit of a pause before the text box pops up?

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #163 on: 14 Oct 2020, 21:25 »
How about: After the player clicks to dismiss the textbox, they can view the full screen for as long as they like and there is a "CLICK TO RETURN TO THE MAP" message subtly at the bottom so they click again to return to the map? It's only one more click and these events don't happen so often that this will become annoying I feel.

OR!!! I have just had a further idea.

I was never quite sure when the game action was paused when I was testing, and the passage of time is quite vital in the game. If I went away to do something I would always superstitiously save the game and then reload when I came back to make sure no time had passed.

You could include a PAUSE feature in the game and, while it is paused, show this beautiful screen with the above mentioned "CLICK TO RETURN TO GAME" message unobtrusively at the bottom.

« Reply #164 on: 17 Oct 2020, 10:06 »
Maybe an option to have a bit of a pause before the text box pops up?

I think I'll make the fade a bit slower, and maybe add a very short pause. A suitable sound effect may also help, so that the pause feels justified.

I was never quite sure when the game action was paused when I was testing, and the passage of time is quite vital in the game. If I went away to do something I would always superstitiously save the game and then reload when I came back to make sure no time had passed.

You could include a PAUSE feature in the game and, while it is paused, show this beautiful screen with the above mentioned "CLICK TO RETURN TO GAME" message unobtrusively at the bottom.

Yes, time management is important in the game, and a pause feature is a must have. Infact, there is already one (activated by pressing spacebar), but there's no indicators or hints of it yet. Opening the menu also pauses the game. I'll think about the pause-background suggestion!

arbi

• no thank you
« Reply #165 on: 17 Oct 2020, 13:14 »
This thread finally pushed me to register here to say two things:

1. I really enjoy the WIP stuff you are posting - it is really helpful to me.
2. There is not enough content about witches in the world.

All in all, good job so far. Will cheer on from afar.  ;)

« Reply #166 on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:27 »
This thread finally pushed me to register here to say two things:

1. I really enjoy the WIP stuff you are posting - it is really helpful to me.
2. There is not enough content about witches in the world.

All in all, good job so far. Will cheer on from afar.  ;)

Thanks! Really nice to hear you are enjoying the WIP stuff, and I'm glad you find it helpful!

« Reply #167 on: 07 Nov 2020, 20:06 »
I'll say super wow graphics!

If you ever need some play or beta testers, I'll more than glad to help out. I done few of them on free and commercial ags games

« Reply #168 on: 09 Nov 2020, 07:28 »
I'll say super wow graphics!

If you ever need some play or beta testers, I'll more than glad to help out. I done few of them on free and commercial ags games

Hey, thanks! When the game is a bit further, I probably need more "fresh" testers. I'll try to keep you in mind!

Currently I have some other work, so the progress is a bit slower than in the last few months. The good thing is that the game progressed at super-speed during those last months!