Sprite Jam: Bad fantasy weapons (RESULTS)

Started by Blondbraid, Sun 27/08/2017 15:53:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

It took me a while to come up with a new idea for a sprite jam, but I hope this one will be fun. At first I thought about doing something with Lovecraftian horror, but since the last sprite jam was about aliens it felt too similar, so then I thought, what about Liefieldian horror? :)
This Sprite jam will have a tongue in cheek focus on an all to common trope in Sci-fi and fantasy, namely, weird and unwieldy weapons that would never, ever work in real life.

The task is to draw a sprite of some sort of fantastical weapon, and entries will be judged on three categories:

Most difficult and cumbersome to use

Most likely to injure the user

Most tacky design

Here are some pics to show what I'm talking about, and I hope you have fun coming up with weird wild ideas for odd weapons. Deadline is September 10th.

Misj'

some questions. As I understand it, the following applies, but correct me if I'm wrong:
1. The word 'fantasy' in the title refers not so much to the genre but to the weapon being fictitious.
2. The weapon should be 'held' (in the broadest sense of the word). But should not be e.g. a tank, or be handled by multiple characters (though it might be held by multiple creatures while one handles it).
3. The weapon is the character, and the 'voted-on' piece should not contain 'creatures' (is an impression of the weapon with a creature allowed?).

Blondbraid

Quote from: Misj' on Sun 27/08/2017 17:15:15
some questions. As I understand it, the following applies, but correct me if I'm wrong:
1. The word 'fantasy' in the title refers not so much to the genre but to the weapon being fictitious.
2. The weapon should be 'held' (in the broadest sense of the word). But should not be e.g. a tank, or be handled by multiple characters (though it might be held by multiple creatures while one handles it).
3. The weapon is the character, and the 'voted-on' piece should not contain 'creatures' (is an impression of the weapon with a creature allowed?).
Yes, I do realize now that I should have been more specific, but yes, the weapon should be something which can theoretically be held and used by one person, and the sprite should depict a weapon first and foremost,
but you are allowed to include a character to demonstrate how the weapon is wielded, but no votes should be applied to the character, only the weapon.

You were also right about the fantasy part, I used that word as a short-hand for made-up weapons since it's very common in the genre, but if anyone wish to draw a sci-fi, steampunk or other type of weapon, they are welcome.
I hope that cleared things up, if you still have any questions, let me know.

DBoyWheeler

Count me in!  Here's my entry:

This is called the "Flaming Vampic".  Kind of a hybrid of flame sword and a sword which steals the enemy's HP and heals the user with them (that's what the ribbons are for).

The problems:
(1) It's quite difficult to sheathe and unsheathe due to the blade's shape. Also, because it's a gold blade, it's malleable, so in intense battle it'll get bent outta shape REAL quick! [This oughta count as the "difficulty of use"]

(2) BECAUSE of the awkward shape and malleability of the blade, there's a chance the user might get injured. The user could also get injured if they wanted to throw the sword at an enemy, due to the ribbons attaching to the user.

(3) Because of the name and the fact the blade is made of gold, it's gonna be difficult for the enemy to take the user seriously. [This probably should count as "tacky design" in a small way.]

funnyboy044

My entry is called the Tuning Fork of Cthulhu. It's like a giant tuning fork except it's got Cthulhu at the end of it. If anyone were to look in front of the weapon(at Cthulhu), that person would be driven to insanity.

Issues

1. It is a very real possibility that Cthulhu could look at the user or vice versa, which could result in the user becoming incurably insane.

2. It is an difficult & awkward weapon to both wield and hold. It is possible that it could slip out of the hands of the user, which might not make it a good weapon in a warfare scenario.

3. It is also possible Cthulhu could slip off the tuning fork, not only allowing Cthulhu to escape into the wild, but rendering the weapon next to useless.

Rocchinator

THE LASER FOOT MORNING STAR

Designed for Martial artist that use their legs a lot, but no for much, a little mistake and they can amputate some of their body parts or an ally's one. Not to tell that its unconfortable has hell, but its made of gold so f*** it! it looks awesome.

Tournk

god damn, that laser foot morning star is hilarious! (laugh)(laugh) I want to see that in action.(nod)
Reaction is always funny.

kconan

I'm way past the deadline...but whatevs!

Double-ended pointy wand and Nerf spatula

Design Concerns:
1. The hilt is the pointy end
2. The business end is a Nerf spatula
3. The wielder is compelled via embedded spell to hold the weapon by the razor sharp star
4. Betwixt both ends is a back massager

Blondbraid

Quote from: kconan on Sun 17/09/2017 07:09:38
I'm way past the deadline...but whatevs!
No problem, it's nice to have one more entry.
I think it's high time to start voting, sorry about the delay.
Time to vote! Here are the entries:

Flaming Vampic by DBoyWheeler

Tuning fork of Cthulhu by funnyboy044

The lase foot morning star by Roccinator

Double-ended pointy wand and Nerf spatula by kconan

You will vote on the following categories:

Most difficult and cumbersome to use

Most likely to injure the user

Most tacky design

Voting ends on september 24th.

funnyboy044

Most difficult and cumbersome to use- Rocchinator

Most likely to injure the user- Rocchinator

Most tacky design- kconan

kconan

Most difficult and cumbersome to use: funnyboy044

Most likely to injure the user: Roccinator

Most tacky design: DBoyWheeler

DBoyWheeler

My votes:

Most difficult and cumbersome to use: Roccinator (very difficult to use properly)

Most likely to injure the user: Roccinator (one screw up, and it won't be pretty)

Most tacky design: kconan (Nerf Spatula?  Please...)

Danvzare

Most likely to injure the user: Roccinator

It seems as though I've had the same idea for voting as kconan. I swear that's just a coincidence. (laugh)

Riaise

Most likely to injure the user: Rocchinator

Most tacky design: kconan

Rocchinator

Most likely to injure the user: kconan

Blondbraid

Sorry for the delay, but here are the results:

1st place, and the golden double-edged sword goes to Roccinator.

2nd place is shared by kconan and funnyboy044.

And 3rd place goes to DBoyWheeler.

DBoyWheeler

Rocchinator

yeah Golden trophy :cheesy: congrats to all the winners and contestant good contest

kconan

Fun comp with a cool trophy and really good entries, and congrats to Rocchinator for Rocchinating this round!

funnyboy044

Neat. Everybody won a trophy. Congratulations to everybody.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk