Games created with AGS playable on mac too?

Started by Happy_Raccoon, Thu 07/09/2017 00:43:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy_Raccoon

Hi,

I just have a very quick question.
I'm thinking about getting AGS. I know you need Windows to use it, but can the finished games be published on websites and then be played by macs and other platforms?

Thanks

Crimson Wizard

AGS games cannot be published on website, because there is no conversion to web code available.

They may be played on few other platforms (Linux, OSX, Android, iOS) with the use of ports. These ports are corresponding variants of the same engine, and they all can run same game data.
But only Linux has more or less stable support, and getting your game to mobile device and OSX is not automated and requires additional manipulations and technical knowledge.
There are several sticky threads dedicated to ports found in the "Engine development".

Happy_Raccoon

Oh, ok. I did not know that. So players will mostly have to download the game to play it, or play it on Steam? Is that correct?
Just curious.. where do games made with AGS usually get published?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Happy_Raccoon on Thu 07/09/2017 10:25:55
Oh, ok. I did not know that. So players will mostly have to download the game to play it, or play it on Steam? Is that correct?
Just curious.. where do games made with AGS usually get published?

In this aspect AGS games are no different from any other games you need to install on your computer to play. I am not a game developer myself, but from what I've seen they are distributed anywhere from indie game hosts like GameJolt to GOG and Steam. Some people prefer to just upload to their personal websites.

For Steam you would need to use AGSSteam plugin that enables steam integration: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44712.0

Also you may register your game in the community database (but you still need to use some file hosting service to provide downloads).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk