MAGS September "Past and Future Collide" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/09/2017 01:06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September

Fred and Barney meet the future by Slasher
5 (38.5%)
The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise
8 (61.5%)
Time Trial by Mandle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Mon 16/10/2017 00:25:50

Slasher

Hi

updated in-game shots:

On course to be ready by Sept 30th (nod)

Slasher

Completed and ready.
Download here
Enjoy the comedic ride as Fred Flintrock and Barney Pebbledash (parody of the Flintstones) endeavor to obtain a Dodo's egg as Wilma, Fred's wife, has planned omelette and Trex Burgers for Lunch... Of course things are never that simple...especially if you happen to be Stoneage Fred Flintrock...

A NASA bag falls out of a wormhole and lands at Fred's feet, having been accidentally dumped into the wormhole from the far future.

Are what's inside the NASA bag going to help Fred get a Dodo's egg?

"Is that wise, Fred?"
"I'm the brains around here, Barney!"

Spoiler

You'll have to play to find out what Fred encounters and has to overcome (laugh)
[close]
'Fred and Barney meet the future' is for September's Mag competition.

Everything done by yours truly (nod)

* Typos fixed.
* Minor bugs found and fixed.

Specs: 320 x 200.... 32-Bit.... Direct3D9.... NOT a demo....

Slasher

Ooops (laugh)

* Typos fixed.
* Minor bugs found and fixed.
* Revised game uploaded

Riaise

Nice one, Slasher! :-D I'm getting there with my game, it should hopefully be ready by the end of the week. I've got a few more sprites to draw, the sound effects to add in and then it's just squishing the bugs. (laugh)

I'll warn everyone now, though, the graphics are bad. When I did them at the beginning I thought I'd be able to go back later and make them a bit better, but I don't think I'll have the time. So I apologise to your eyeballs. (laugh)

Slasher

Hi Riaise,

I'm glad you are getting an entry in this month.

We still have a week to go so get a spurt on, you can do it....

Unless you have a zillion rooms to change you can do it.

I myself find it hard to focus on colours much of the time and the brighter they are the better I see them.

I tend to be ready early so it gives me time to sort any problem areas out...or at least try...

Keep going (nod)

slasher

HanaIndiana

Looking forward to playing this month's games! Looking good :)

Riaise

Aww, thanks for the encouragement, Slasher! :-*

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 24/09/2017 14:51:47Unless you have a zillion rooms to change you can do it.

To be honest, it does feel like I have a zillion rooms to change! Just as I think I'm nearly finished I remember something else that needs doing. (roll) And the game isn't even that big! (laugh)

Stupot

Nobody asked, but due to my working schedule I won't have time to administer the closing of the contest until Monday morning, my time. So consider this a formal 24hr extension. So you have until 23:59 BST on October 1st.

October's contest will open as normal (easier to do from my phone).

Creamy

Our game won't be ready on time due to me being lazy a deflation in the eurozone and a malefic planetary pattern in September.

Slasher

Oh dear,

that's sad and a great loss :~(

Only got 3 days left...

Riaise

That's a shame, Creamy. :( I hope someone else is working on an entry, I don't want to take on Slasher all on my own...(laugh)

Speaking of that...my entry is done! Behold, The Execution of Anne Boleyn:

Story:
Created for MAGS September 2017, for the theme "Past and Future Collide". When villains from the future alter the past, a time traveller must try to set history back on track with the help of an imprisoned queen.

Screenshots:

Details:

• Two-click interface: left-click to interact, right-click to examine
  • 320 x 180 resolution
  • Game Length: Short

I hope there's not too many bugs, I've tested it as thoroughly as I can (I even roped in Slasher to help! (laugh)). And if the final section seems familiar it's because it was ripped off from inspired by another game. (nod)

Slasher

Radiant

Congrats to all the entries!

Well, I had a great idea for this early in the month, and didn't get the time to develop it. Maybe next time. I hope to be playing some of the results soon.

Mandle

I'll just be sneaking in an entry at the last moment...

It's something I have been working on since the contest opened but it grew a lot in the making, and then I got really invested in the game, and then it turned into just a DEMO and not a complete game...

There are a LOT of assets and code behind the scenes for the complete game, but I will just release the DEMO for now in this MAGS:

(Oh, yeah, the game has several walkbehind issues that I ran out of time to solve... Please forgive for now...)

You wake up hungry and thirsty in your cave. The thirst is not a huge issue, but the hunger will require that you head out hunting.

Luckily this is just the DEMO and you can defeat any enemy instantly and get a decent meal. (Yeah, sorry, I didn't get the combat system in place in time for the deadline)

So just get your tummy full of what you just easily killed and then head back home for some well deserved res...

SCREEECH!!! OMG WTF just happened?!?!

Shadow1000

Ok I played twice and I'm not sure what's going on.

Spoiler
Character starts off drinking and having to eat. 2 screens later climbs a tree and then has one item to eat but nothing to drink for about 15 screens. Eating animals doesn't kill them but you can only eat them once. Eating the animals doesn't seem to affect the hunger meter. Eventually you get to a modern city but can't access it so you turn around. You can then eat the same animals again but there's still no water so the character dies
[close]

I am not sure what part of this is my lack of understanding or due to the demo nature of the game.

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 01/10/2017 20:24:12
due to the demo nature of the game.

^^This for sure (laugh)

Here's what to do so far:
Spoiler

About all you can do so far is go to the desert area and kill a creature, eat it, and then return home to your cave.
When you encounter a creature (run into them) two meters will appear. One is your bite attack and the other is your claw attack. Click on one of the meters before its timer runs out. This should kill the creature (sorry, no combat system yet) and you will eat the meat icon dropped. This should take care of your hunger (water is available in your cave and also sometimes in the desert). Now try returning to your cave. The demo should tell you when it is finished.
[close]

Stupot

Thanks for the entries, folks. Nice to see a last-minute Mandle surprise.

The contest is over and voting has begun.
Here are the entries:

Fred and Barney meet the future by Slasher
The Execution of Anne Boleyn by Riaise
Time Trial by Mandle

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* please don't forget to leave comments and ratings on the games' database pages

Voting Ends: October 15th

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 01/10/2017 23:50:24

Here's what to do so far:
Spoiler

About all you can do so far is go to the desert area and kill a creature, eat it, and then return home to your cave.
When you encounter a creature (run into them) two meters will appear. One is your bite attack and the other is your claw attack. Click on one of the meters before its timer runs out. This should kill the creature (sorry, no combat system yet) and you will eat the meat icon dropped. This should take care of your hunger (water is available in your cave and also sometimes in the desert). Now try returning to your cave. The demo should tell you when it is finished.
[close]

Thanks for the explanation. I completed the demo. I don't know if figuring that out is part of the puzzle or if it would be better to provide that kind of instructions with the game?

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 02/10/2017 00:51:33
Thanks for the explanation. I completed the demo. I don't know if figuring that out is part of the puzzle or if it would be better to provide that kind of instructions with the game?

Hehe.... my "solution" was to put the hint of what to do in the game description above. This was at about 2:00AM last night when my brain was already half asleep.

The "demo" is very clunky and incomplete. It's basically everything that was finished on the game plus some stuff like combat that was not finished but needed a quick and dirty "fix" to make even a "demo" possible.

About 50% of what I got done during the month is still behind the scenes. About half the code is blocked with //, there are dozens and dozens of unused sprites, a couple of half-complete puzzles, and a few unused locations (laugh)

I decided that the game deserved better than to just be rushed for the deadline and just went with as much of the story as I could bring out, which turned out to be not much.

So, yeah, please forgive a very clunky demo and hopefully the full game will better reflect what it is supposed to be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk