what should I play next?

Started by Matt Brown, Fri 18/04/2003 04:07:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincewind

Yeah, DW1 is probably the worst of the three, but it still has some really good moments, such as the beggar who goes a bit too far, etc... ;D
The thing that annoyed me most was probably the phrase "That doesn't work!" which was used, for... Well, practically everything. And than the fact that you couldn't get past the L-space very often, since you took the wrong book, and so on...

But DWN is absolutely the best of them. DW2 comes in on a close second place, but that is only because - as remixor says - DWN is much more closer to the books.

"Heard of the Milka?"
"Sure. Put in my coffe-a."
"Ha. Ha. Ha. It's a ship."
"Yeah, I know."

"I'm afraid my memory isn't very good. I need something to jog it..."
"Would a crowbar do?"

Sorry, just got that awful need of quoting DWN-jokes again... ;D

Las Naranjas

3 has probably my favourite introduction to a game ever.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

"I've had some tough days as a private investigator, but I'd never woken up dead before..."

The first time I heard Lewton's voice, I thought it was really bad but as the game progressed I soon realized how hilarious it was, coupled with the overly melodramatic noir-themed dialogue.  Man, I love that game.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Rincewind

I was mostly worried about the fact that there was no Eric Idle in the game, but as soon as I got into the storyline,(Which is absolutely brilliant, btw!) I forgot about the other games completely. (Besides, Nigel Planer alsmost compensates for his absence... Almost...)

DWN, in my opinion, only has one real negative side, and that is the overwhelming darkness. (Pier 9, the warehouse)
But what the heck, it's Noir, isn't it?

"Suddenly it came over me that everything would go wrong. It's sounds crazy, but it's true, so help me. I couldn't hear my own footsteps - It was the walk of a dead man..."  ;D

Adamski

What made the Donkey Cart line even worse is that it sounded like 'did anyone catch the number of that Donkey Cot'

Donkey Cot? What the hell is a Donkey Cot?

AGA

er... I can honestly say I never thought he said 'cot' :p

Discworld was a great game, it was just pretty unforgiving, since it had 2 or 3 walking-deads (you could only enter the palace about 4 times, and that L-Space thing Rincewind mentioned...). It's well worth playing through, even if you have to use a walkthrough to avoid the walking-deads.

The only thing that spoiled Discworld Noir, otherwise a superb game, was the talking animations. The animations lasted about a second before repeating, it made it look like they were shaking their heads from side-to-side non-stop.

remixor

To be honest, I was glad Eric Idle wasn't in Noir before I played it, and I was still glad he wasn't in it after I was done.  As great as Idle and the rest of the Python guys, are, he just would NOT have worked doing a noir character (if he did the lead, which I assume he would).  To be completely frank, though I thought he was really good in the other Discworld games, I thought he perhaps made it a bit TOO Pythonesque, and not enough Pratchetty, which to me isn't quite so zany (what a horrible word, I can't believe I just used it).  I love Monty Python (a lot), but its brand of humour is pretty distinct from Pratchett's.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Las Naranjas

except of course Rhodan, who has that fabulously long animation to sit through before he invariably replied usefully and succinctly.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Rincewind

Quote from: Las Naranjas on Sun 20/04/2003 00:18:37
except of course Rhodan, who has that fabulously long animation to sit through before he invariably replied usefully and succinctly.
Yeah, that was quite a drag, wasn't it? And he very seldom had any sensible answer anyway.
"Madam lodestone? Ah! The fount of all relief! Relief... Mhm..."  
(That's why I choose Malaclypse... ;D )

MillsJROSS

I'll just say that SQ is the game to get, as has already been said.  It's my favorite series and they were the first games I made sure worked on my new system. While it did take a bit of tweaking I got all six in the series to work just fine.  You do need to slow down your system, yes, but not for all of the games. You rarely need to do so with the first three games, just if you play an arcade sequence. SQ4 is the one with the most timing issues, and their annoying, but if your a big fan, they you'll tough it out. SQ5 is pretty good, and SQ6 has only one timing issue.  

-MillsJROSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk