setting Publisher and Authenticode (signature) for game.exe and winsetup.exe

Started by eri0o, Thu 07/09/2017 17:54:48

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

Hey,

Every time I test my game on Windows 10, when it tries to run, it defaults to Not Run for me. And then I have to do a small click in the box and then have to tell it's safe to run the game or the winsetup for config.

Is it possible to make the game.exe file and maybe also the winsetup.exe trusted executables? And is there a way to configure the Publisher Name ?

Thanks!

Click'd

It might be easier to dial down Win 10's handholding in general.

eri0o

Apparently CAcert can provide free certification and using the signtool I can apply the certificate afterwards. I am a newbie on Windows coding, but mostly googling refers to visual studio... :( Is it possible to do this from AGS on the build phase?

tzachs

The tutorial you linked to about the signtool doesn't say anything about a visual studio requirement, it just requires downloading the Windows SDK.
From what I can see, you sign the generated exe, so you don't need to involve AGS build process at all. Just follow the instructions.

Another thing you can try, is using the Desktop App Converter. It converts a Win32 app (i.e the AGS game) to a UWP application, meaning it runs in a sandbox and should be safe, and therefore trusted (and can also be placed in the Windows Store and run in Win10S). Whether it actually works with AGS games, I don't know...

eri0o

Another option :-\

I Wonder what people who releases games on Steam does or if it's not needed at all and users are ok with it.  ???

Monsieur OUXX

vga256

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 08/09/2017 12:15:59
Another option :-\

I Wonder what people who releases games on Steam does or if it's not needed at all and users are ok with it.  ???

Sorry for the Necro. The Steam (and GOG) launcher is signed and launches the game on behalf of itself, so the game executable does not have to be signed. Signing is only useful if you plan to launch the game via the Windows store, or on itch.io, or some other storefront that allows the game to be run without a launcher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk