Metaphobia

Started by Thanyx, Fri 29/09/2017 20:12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanyx

METAPHOBIA

A mysterious case of Richard Elmstat

STORY

A painter, Richard Elmstat, was born into a family which was known for many generations as one of the highest political families in the country. His father, Carl Elmstat, was recently elected as mayor of the city, when he fairly defeated his rival Edward Raban in the elections.

Even though Richard was raised to follow his father and have the highest political career, he had already chosen his dream job - painting. But Richard and his father never had a close relationship due to Richard's bohemian lifestyle and lack of respect for political authority. Because of this, they lived separate lives without seeing or speaking to one another.

Carl always tried to uphold his political beliefs with for-people reforms and laws. People adored him and he became a hero of the city.

Three months after the elections, Carl Elmstat is killed by a thief who was later caught, convicted and sent to jail - case closed.

Though Richard didn't have a good relationship with his father, he couldn't bare the fact that he was murdered; let alone by an ordinary thief in the politician's mansion . Worsened by guilt that he was a bad son, Richard decided to investigate the murder on his own. His prime suspect? Edward Raban - his father's nemesis.

During the time of the investigation, Richard finds out that the truth behind the murder is hidden much deeper under the ground than he expected...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO TEASER HERE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 1.0 - 31.10.2017

Release date:
The game is in the middle of the production and is planned to be released in the Q1/Q2 2018.
This game is going to be a FREEWARE

What to be excited for:
All animation sprites were recorded on a greenscreen.
Original music and SFX.
Classic old school "90's-like" graphics.
Thrilling story with a mysterious plot and a dark mood.
Over 30 locations and 20 characters.
Interesting puzzles and dialogues.

Story: Tolga Öcek, David Broček
Dialogs: David Broček
Art and Animations: Tolga Öcek
Scripting: Vincent Cortese
Music: Daniel H. Kobylarz (Composer for Kathy Rain - www.dankoby.com)

PROGRESS
- Graphics 90%
- Story 100%
- Puzzles 100%
- Scripting 30%
- Music/sound 20%

CyberUncleCat

Guy - Mads Mikkelsen
Woman - i have her name at the edge of my tounge but cant spell it:)

Pure pixel art. I like that.
Waiting for demo:).

Cassiebsg

Spoiler

Kathryn Morris as Lilly Rush (Cold Case)

I would change the portraits more, they're just too recognizable.
[close]

Otherwise, games sounds interesting, good luck with the project. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

I agree with Cassiebsg, I didn't see the character when I looked at the portrait, I just saw Mads Mikkelsen. Plus there is always a risk with copy-right issues and such when using real people as references.

Otherwise, it's a good-looking game that sounds like it could be a nice murder-mystery.

eri0o

I like the graphics, although I would tone down the dithering a little bit on supposed smooth walls (dither for me makes sense in wood but looks heavy in large areas). The game premises though reminds of a good crime novel.

About the drawing references, there was an old lovecraftian game, Shadow of the Comet, that simply stole every portrait from famous actors and gotta away with it. I don't know how well this would work today.

Mandle

Quote from: eri0o on Sat 30/09/2017 00:47:13
About the drawing references, there was an old lovecraftian game, Shadow of the Comet, that simply stole every portrait from famous actors and gotta away with it.

Hehehe Jack Nicholson was especially jarring...

And yeah, back then there was no internet and computer games were not widely played by Hollywood people I would imagine so they indeed got away with it...

These days, not so much...

CyberUncleCat

Personaly i dont think anyone would do copyright strike aganist this game since its going to be a freeware. It simply do not calculate when there are no money involved.

I also do not consider using real life actors as a failed concept. Actualy it may be GREAT if you put them in the roles of characters that match them. And if you find people with silimar voices then thats a win.

Im really looking forward for this game to see what it will become. Uncle C. approves so far:).

AnasAbdin

Love your pixel art and style!
Story is interesting too, good luck!
Hope to play this soon ;-D

Thanyx

So we modified Richard's face, and I think, our artist made a huge difference now. What do you think? :)

BEFORE

AFTER

SilverSpook

Definitely looks very different from the actor now!

Thanyx

NEWEST UPDATE: UPDATE: 1.0 - 31.10.2017

We are now team of 5 people (Artist, writer, composer, programmer and sound SFX creator).
New people on the team:
Dan Kobylarz (Koby), a talented guy who made music for Kathy Rain.
Vincent Cortese, a highly skilled programmer with years of AGS experience.

Video teaser will be released in few weeks.

STAY TUNED! :)

Cassiebsg

Oh, just noticed the new portrait.
Yes, looks better while not looking like the actor that inspired it. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

eri0o

I love the apartment design. It's amazing! It has everything. Really incredible. (nod)

Durq

The art looks great!

KyriakosCH

Looks very stylish indeed (nod)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Thanyx

Hello everyone!

Here is the video teaser for the game:

Let us know what you think :)

Chicky

I love those backgrounds! The animation is also some of the best pixel rotoscoping I've seen, looking reeeally nice. That music too!

Best of luck with the project :)

Mandle

WOW! Yeah, the rotoscoping is simply jaw-dropping!!!

I think though that the first opening line of the trailer has a grammar issue which might turn some people off:

"When innocent die"

Should be either:

"When innocents die"

or

"When the innocent die"

(The second option is better in my opinion)

Rocchinator

I have no words for this, It's Perfect,  I'm huge fan of Gabriel Knight 1, and this game give me that good vibe, that gut feeling, just amazing. Stunning job here. Cant't wait to play it.

KyriakosCH

I agree, the animation is really top-class!!!

And i also hear the protagonist speak his lines as Mads Mikelsen (laugh)

I hope your game does GREAT!
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk