MAGS October "Room of Fear" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sat 30/09/2017 23:55:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS October?

Fearaphobia by Slasher
0 (0%)
Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard
7 (50%)
The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya12 and Blondbraid
0 (0%)
Grizzly Goose of Gosse by Smarty
6 (42.9%)
Just You and Me by Glenjamin
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Wed 15/11/2017 23:57:33

Shadow1000

I posted my comments on each game as I played it. My vote went to Just You And Me just because I felt the most overall fun and immersive experience while playing it. And I agree that each game was a strong contender for its own reason.

Mandle pointed out something that occurred to me as I was playing the games: the contest definition was the fear of the author of the game. It seems that some of the entries were more of a spooky experience or fears of the characters in the game. Either way, great entries and lots of fun playing.

Riaise

Here we go:

Fearaphobia by Slasher

Spoiler
It's a shame this game is so short, because it has the potential for some great puzzles to scare away the boogeyman. But after what happened to your keyboard, it's a good thing that you managed to get the game finished at all! A lot of people would have given up, so well done for carrying on, Slasher!
[close]

Spoiler
I love your graphics, Pilchard, they're always so lovely! I liked the puzzles, too, they were simple in a pleasant way, rather than being boringly easy. I also like how you managed to make a game about fear feel so warm and comforting. Great work!
[close]

The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya and Blondbraid

Spoiler
This game has a very unnerving atmosphere, which worked really well with the theme. The puzzles were quite simple, but the twist at the end was completely unexpected! I thought the background was lovely, really well drawn by Blondbraid.
[close]

Spoiler
This game is so cute! Angus is adorable, and I loved how each family member had their own role that showed their personality. The graphics are so sweet, they work really well with the style of the game. It's also great to hear that it helped Angus to overcome his fear in real life. I hope that you make more games as a family in the future!

Although I did have one major problem with the game:
Spoiler
I've had your version of the Monster Mash stuck in my head all day! (laugh)
[close]
[close]

Just You and Me by Glenjamin

Spoiler
Wow, this game took some unexpected turns! Once the Thing appeared, it became really creepy and there was a great sense of tension. The graphics are great and the music works really well. You did a really great job for such a short time span!
[close]

Really great work, everyone! ;-D

Glenjamin

Here's my thoughts:

Fearaphobia by Slasher

Spoiler
This was a lot of fun, and a good idea all around. Excellent use of pumpkins. Solid graphics that get the point across. You don't often play as a child in modern games(and when you do, it's never a child-related scenario)so it's nice to have one that's more grounded in reality. That being said this kid SHOULD probably call an exorcist if the blinds keep closing by themselves.
[close]

Spoiler
The presentation in this game is really something else. From minute one it sucked me into the spooky atmosphere and cute graphics. The puzzles were neat and easy enough to solve. A little short, but there's so much to look at that it doesn't really matter.
[close]

The Frame on the Wall by Hortencya and Blondbraid

Spoiler
One thing I really liked about this game was the untold story. It takes a pretty interesting setting to end up wandering a frozen wilderness and breaking into random houses to stay the night. What's going on out there? The puzzles were easy and made sense. The art was solid and the twist at the end surprised me, even if it's a bit goofy.
[close]

Spoiler
This was a treat. This game pulled an aesthetic I wish was used more often. I can see a lot of mileage coming off the "crayon drawings and child narration" motif. (Make a series my dude) The voice acting was fun, the graphics were solid, and the puzzle design was A-okay. This game also shares my deep hatred for geese. ESPECIALLY CANADA GEESE. They're an affront to beauty and happiness.
[close]

This was a fun one! Great work everybody!

lanchong

All the games are interesting. It was hard to pick a favourite. Good job everyone!

HanaIndiana

Thanks to all the game creators, they were fun to play over Halloween! This is a tough vote.

Fearaphobia
Spoiler
I love this idea! I wish the "rounds" could go longer, but for only having a month (or shorter) it is impressive. I thought it fit the theme perfectly.
[close]

Moonlight Moggy
Spoiler
I'm a fan of your graphical work and stories, and Moggie is very cute. I always get immersed in your games. :) I liked how so many of the games this month included animals in some way.
[close]

The Frame on the wall
Spoiler
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was keeping close watch at that frame the whole time. I busted out laughing as soon as the twist was revealed. That was awesome (laugh)
[close]

Grizzly Goose of Gosse
Spoiler
I can honestly say I wasn't expecting any adorable games with a theme like "Fear". But it was a really fun use of the theme, both for Fear and the one room rule. I really liked all the original graphics, music, sound effects, voice work, etc... Very charming and fun to play. And the goose sound effects were truly frightening, especially with headphones (laugh) It kinda made me wish I had a little farm myself.
[close]

Just You and Me
Spoiler
Wow, this plays like a chapter within a movie. I liked the suspense, and the giant alien monsters were really cool. And any adventure game were my character gets to drive in a high-speed chase is a big plus.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Oh crap! I better get playing, only played 2 and started a 3rd... :-[
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

I've played all the games now:
Fearaphobia
Spoiler
It was an interesting idea for an arcade-style game, though a bit short.
[close]
Moonlight Moggy
Spoiler
It was fun to play as a cat, the pixel art was nice and the puzzles were good.
[close]
Grizzly Goose of Gosse
Spoiler
The crayon drawings for graphics and voice acting was great, its a fun game and you can thell the whole family had fun doing it. my only complaint was that it was hard to understand what to do inside the shed, but otherwise a cute game and it has my vote.
[close]
Just You and Me
Spoiler
It's a great game, just a shame that the screenshot in this forum kind of ruined the surprise, for otherwise it's a very suspenseful game. My only complaint is that the ending was a bit too abrupt.
[close]

Twirlly

Great batch of games this month. I enjoyed playing them all. Thanks to all the creators! :-D

Fearaphobia
Spoiler

You had me in anticipation from the spooky spawning of the title on screen. It took me a minute to realize it was a timed task, and I wish it had been clearer from the start as I wasn't initially sure about the moving bar or it's purpose. I liked the concept for different endings. I just wish they were clearer as to if one was better then the other as far as game play. Although I would guess attacking the bogey man was the better game choice.
[close]

Moonlight Moggy
Spoiler

Beautiful graphics, as the cute with eeriness was done very well. I wish there were more complex interactions and puzzles, but the limitations were justified by having a cat as the player character.
[close]

The Frame on the Wall
Spoiler

The climax was definitely unexpected, and greatly enjoyed for it's uniqueness. The graphics were well done. I just wish there were more puzzles with greater complexity.
[close]

Grizzly Goose of Gosse
Spoiler

I could tell that this game was the product of a loving family collaboration and that is awesome! I actually found the Easter egg without even knowing there was one until discovering it(didn't read all the posts in forum until after playing all the games) and it was a nice surprise like the song at the end. There were some harsh changes in volume with some of the speech, but kudos to you guys for a fully voiced game. It was a parent's children's fridge drawings come to life adventure, and I'm so glad it cured your son of his fear.
[close]

Just You and Me
Spoiler

At the start, I wasn't sure where the story would lead. I did however enjoy the twists and turns from the monster to the secret caves. The connection between the two or there purpose wasn't clear, but maybe that was due to time constraints. Also, being able to drive in an adventure game is a treat to me.
[close]
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS October is:

Moonlight Moggy by Pilchard.

Well done Pilch. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for December.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Mandle

Wow, so close!!!

A well-deserved win for a great game and well-deserved almost-tie for the runner up!

Riaise

Congrats, Pilchard! And a very well done to Smarty and family for making it such a close contest! :-D

Great work from everyone else, too! All of the entries were really good, it was tough deciding who to vote for! (nod)

Shadow1000

Congrats on the well-deserved win! Good job to all entries!

Cheers

Slasher

You did a good job mate.. Well done (nod)

Glenjamin

Good work everybody! This was a lot of fun.

Smarty

Congratulations Pilchard on your well deserved win! :)
Well done to everyone on some great entries!
The kids are totally stoked to have placed 2nd!
Looking forward to future MAGS, if we can conceive an idea.
Thanks for having us, now I'm off to cook some nice spring goose (nod) :P

Mandle

Quote from: Smarty on Thu 16/11/2017 20:19:58
The kids are totally stoked to have placed 2nd!

Also let them know that the results are not usually this close. Most often one entry grabs like 10+ votes and the rest get a few here and there if that. 7 to 6 is basically a tie compared to the way it usually goes!

Pilchard

Wow - I'm surprised and delighted to be the October MAGS champ, by a whisker ;)! To be honest, I feel a little bad for just edging it past a family effort, but as Mandle points out, this was virtually a tie. Smarty, I hope you and the kids will combine your talents and enter again sometime soon.

Thank you to all of you who played, commented, and even voted for Moonlight Moggy. I shall now try my best to think of a fun theme for December, which is exciting in itself...

Blondbraid

Congratulations, Pilchard! Your game with the kitties was adorable! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk