Game Concept: Awakening of the Sphinx

Started by SSH, Fri 18/04/2003 17:08:28

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

OK, OK, I know that there's a million and one Egypt based games but this one is good becuase:

1) It is set in the days of the 18th Dynasty: you are Maya: assistant to General Horenheb in the last days of the reign of Akhenaten.
2) I've been to Egypt
3) The pyramids only feature incidentally and do not have mystic powers

So here's an outline of the introduction:

Room: In front of the Sphinx, General AY is standing, waiting
MAYA follows General HORENHEB into scene
HORENHEB: The pharoah has gone too far this time, Ay
AY: Indeed, I have tolerated as much as I can of his new cult of Aten
HORENHEB: The people are near revolt; they want to go back to worshipping Amun
AY: This is exactrly the wrong time to change another tradition: we need all the support of the army for the war with the Hittites
HORENHEB: What can we do?
AY: We must seek an audience and see if we can dissuade him
HORENHEB: You know that will not work
AY: We must try...
*The Generals leave, Maya goes to follow:
HORENHEB: The Pharoah will not grant the audience to you... wait here.
*Maya waits.... and waits... and waits...
* It goes dark, and Maya falls asleep, and dreams:
SPHINX: Tremble at the power of Khafre, humble assistant. Khafre was humble too in his time, building his pyramid smaller than his father's out of respect. But his powers were greater than any Pharoah before or since. This power has been reawakened in me as your Pharoah worships his false god Aten. You must tell your master of this power and use it to restore worship to the rightful Amun.
MAYA: H..h...h..how? WHatttt?
SPHINX: In the pyramid of Khafre is a secret chamber, never discovered by any of the thieves who plundered the tomb... a man must give up gold to find the chamber, not steal the gold. In this secret chamber you will find the  inscription that reveals the power of Khafre.

Room: Horenheb's Palace, the next day, Horenheb sits at a table, examining maps with Ay
Maya runs into the room in a panic
HORENHEB: WHere have you been?
MAYA: Sir, you told me to wait by the SPhinx and I fell asleep and I dremt that the SPhinx told me of great power.....

Maya tells of the dream
HORENHEB: Pfff.. you have been drinking too much Nile Water, Maya
AY: No, no, I think he may have something... I remember the Pharoah's grandfather Tutmosis IV uncovered the sphinx becuase it came to him in a dream and told him too... and made him Pharoah in return.

So, please, folks, does that sound like something you'd like to play? Anyone want to volunteer for art?

scotch

I'd play it.. I might even do art if it's developed a bit more.

SSH

There is a bit more, but that would start to give away the plot, like Neole did with the Creation game  ;)

Incidentally, Akhenaten, Khafre, Horenheb, Ay and Maya did really exist...

AndersM

I've been in Egypt too...   ;D (just wanted to brag about it)  :P

Barcik

Being to Egypt is not a smart thing for me to do. (Although I was in Jordan once)
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

BOYD1981

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

remixor

Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Soft, Gooey, Delicious.

Perhaps you shouldn't call the guy Maya. I don't think you need that kind of pseudoscientific link between pyramid building societies.
Kant was a dirty deontologist fuck.
the fade.
Yeeha!
Call me...  now

Matt Brown

word up

scotch

Maya is 3d animation software!
Well it's not a building society here anyway.

RabbitWithFangs

Quote from: scotch on Sun 20/04/2003 23:53:49
Well it's not a building society here anyway.
Boom-Boom. The Maya were a bunch of human sacrificing, pyramid building, corn eating, mexicans from the yutacan penninsula. There have been numberous links by weirdos to link them to the egyptians.

scotch

Well I know .-. but then again I tend to read stuff too fast :(

Renal Shutdown

Hey

Far be it for me to stick up for anyone who's scottish, but...

Maya is a real person who, get this, "really existed".
Not some random-assed name thought up purely for the pyramid reference.

Go here and bask in my arrogance...
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/horemheb.htm

Apologies for smarminess, but I had to go toe to toe here.

Hugs
Iqu

* Iqu tells his current imaginary friend, "Mr. Smug" to go back to his imaginary closet and shut up for the time being.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

SSH

Thanks, Iqu... in fact that's exactly the page that I read as well... I had the plot idea, but needed to fit it in somewhere and the "heresy" of Akenaten and his succession by Tutenhkamun and Ay and Horemheb fitted well, and it is just after the rediscovery of the Sphinx and there's lots of sequel opportunity!

RickJ

I like the idea.  Sounds like a great project...

Dave Gilbert

Going to Egypt probably wasn't the smartest thing for ME to do either, but I went in May of 2001.  I've always been fascinated by it.  

Games about Egypt are always cool.  GOOD games about egypt are even better.  Good games about Egypt that don't feature the pyramids or the sphinx rock the proverbial casbah.  (Although featuring Hetshepsut or Ramses II is always welcome.  They are both fascinating)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk