Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

The Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire?

Baron

CaptainD

Ugh my knowledge of 13th century history appears to be a little lacking... :-[

Baron

All right then, it's clue time:

This man was not a king but he led a sovereign state, although it had vanishingly little territory at his accession.  He was a Christian and would end his days with this title: Dominator quartae et dimidiae partis totius Romaniae.

lorenzo

Baron

We have a winner! ;-D  When Enrico Dandolo, well over ninety years old, blind, and Doge of Venice, heard his troops faltering in their siege of the sea-walls of Constantinople, he had his galley rowed forward to personally lead the attack.  Kinda puts my blind great-grandfathers' penchant for bridge and womanizing to shame.... (roll)

CaptainD

lorenzo

Thanks! Enrico Dandolo was a smart man, his life is well worth a read.

Sorry, but I can't think of a good question right now. :( Can someone please take my turn?

milkanannan

What was the last Chinese dynasty before the Republic of China was formed in 1912?

dayowlron

Only chinese dynasty I know of is Ming and I think that was in the Middle ages.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

milkanannan

Yep, not Ming...but in sequencing terms you aren't far off.

milkanannan

Baron

I'm pretty sure it was the Bling dynasty.... :P

CaptainD

Or the Bing dynasty, started by Monica and Chandler...

Anyone can take my go, sorry just not coming up with anything atm.

Baron

This eleventh century noblewoman is reputed to have ridden naked through the streets of Coventry to protest high taxation. :=

If you've ever been to Coventry you probably know her from her statuary.  If not, her name has also been adopted as a popular corporate brand. (nod)

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 09/01/2018 02:09:10
This eleventh century noblewoman is reputed to have ridden naked through the streets of Coventry to protest high taxation. :=

So, high taxes causes naked women in public?

Sounds like she came up with a flawed plan to me.

Stupot

I knew this one. You might imagine she did it to the cheering crowds but actually everyone was ordered to stay inside and not look (Schroedingists would say she was both naked and not naked). One guy apparently did peep and his name was Tom, hence the phrase ‘peeping Tom'.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 09/01/2018 22:34:00
One guy apparently did peep and his name was Tom, hence the phrase ‘peeping Tom'.

And had his eyes put out for it in the version I heard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk