World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

So that would be Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II?

milkanannan

<ALEX TREBEK VOICE>Yes! Your go.</ALEX TREBEK VOICE>

milkanannan

Due to inactivity I'm stealing your turn, D.

Who knows it:

What state was the last to join the US of A?

CaptainD

Oh sorry if forgotten all about this.

I think this would be Alaska?

Spoiler
if not it must be Hawai
[close]

milkanannan

Yep Hawaii. Number two is Alaska, so you get a bonus point.  :=

Your go, CaptainD...

CaptainD

Okay here's an easy one...

Which island was Napoleon Bonaparte exiled to?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 01/07/2019 09:40:09

Saint Helena! One of the remotest locations on Earth  :)

Laura Hunt

I hope it's not rude to carry on without the explicit approval of the previous poster, since I don't need confirmation that I got it right :)

Which city used to force all its residents to move from their apartments/houses on the same day?

(I got this one from listening to the hilarious and very informative podcast The Dollop, definitely recommended!)

CaptainD

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 01/07/2019 10:24:00
I hope it's not rude to carry on without the explicit approval of the previous poster, since I don't need confirmation that I got it right :)

Not rude at all  ;)

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 01/07/2019 10:24:00
Which city used to force all its residents to move from their apartments/houses on the same day?

(I got this one from listening to the hilarious and very informative podcast The Dollop, definitely recommended!)

Interesting... I'm wondering how modern this is... is it something to do with regularly occurring natural disasters I wonder?  Can't think of any likely candidates atm...

Laura Hunt

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 01/07/2019 12:17:18
Interesting... I'm wondering how modern this is... is it something to do with regularly occurring natural disasters I wonder?  Can't think of any likely candidates atm...

It's... relatively modern. It started in the very late 18th/very early 19th century and kept being enforced until WWII.

Nothing to do with natural disasters, though! Just a (baffling) custom that spiraled out of control :-D

milkanannan

I'm thinking it must be a city with a unique infrastructure or something, so...Venice?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Mon 01/07/2019 12:56:09
I'm thinking it must be a city with a unique infrastructure or something, so...Venice?

Nope!

Maybe my wording was confusing, so I'll offer a clue: it's not that residents were forced to leave the city en masse; they had to move in the sense of having to find a new apartment/house because all leases in the city expired on the same day every year.

Hope this clue doesn't give too much away!

milkanannan

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 01/07/2019 12:58:54

Hope this clue doesn't give too much away!

Lol um I wouldn't worry about that  (laugh) ???

OK how about 1. The North Pole (pack your sh*t up, Santa, it's moving day!) or 2. Vatican City

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Mon 01/07/2019 14:26:53

OK how about 1. The North Pole (pack your sh*t up, Santa, it's moving day!)

Hahahaha actually this day was called... wait for it... Moving Day!

(More clues: we're talking about a US city)

Sinitrena

No idea on the city we are looking for right now, so I just offer a random guess: New York

But I have to point out:

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 01/07/2019 09:46:58

...that Napoleon was actually exiled twice, both times to an island: First to Elba where he escaped from later, and returned for 100 days, which ended (more or less) with the famous Battle of Waterloo. Afterwards, he was exiled to Saint Helena, where he died.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 01/07/2019 18:17:36
But I have to point out:

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 01/07/2019 09:46:58

...that Napoleon was actually exiled twice, both times to an island: First to Elba where he escaped from later, and returned for 100 days, which ended (more or less) with the famous Battle of Waterloo. Afterwards, he was exiled to Saint Helena, where he died.

Very true! When I read "exile" my brain jumped immediately to "Exiled. For good. For real. No coming back this time. Like, THE exile.", and yeah, thus Saint Helena ;-D

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 01/07/2019 18:17:36
No idea on the city we are looking for right now, so I just offer a random guess: New York

BUT! New York indeed it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Day_(New_York_City)

"At the height of Moving Day in the early 20th century, it was estimated that a million people in the city all changed their residences at the same time. Resistance to Moving Day was strong in the 1920s and 1930s, but it took the start of World War II to end the general practice, as the moving industry found it difficult to find able-bodied men to do the work."

Sinitrena, over to you  :)

Sinitrena

Huh, interesting, I've never heard of this before.

Anyways:

The event we are looking for might sound funny or joyous at first. But in 1518, in Strasbourg, more than 400 people were affected and several died.

(I hope that's not too confusing, but it's difficult to describe without giving it away.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk