World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dayowlron

Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar?
just saw him highlighted on google as an astronomer/mathematician so thought i would throw that as a guess.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Darth Mandarb

manifest class - negative!

dayowlron - It is not Hubble or Chandrasekhar.

LameNick - Fritz Zwicky, and no :D However this is a very good guess (related).

Here's another clue!

Fritz Zwicky theorized the existence of dark matter in the 1930s. This person's data/work showed the first evidence of the existence of dark matter (strengthening Zwicky's theory) some years later.

LameNick

Than it must be Vera...Damn! Vera Something or the other.. damn am i a painful retard..
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: LameNick on Thu 19/10/2017 16:39:06Than it must be Vera...Damn! Vera Something or the other.. damn am i a painful retard..

Yes.......

LameNick

All I can think of now is Vera Farmiga, I recall her and Fritz Zwicky being mentioned in every documentary about dark matter, but I'm afraid I won't be able to remember her second name. At least not today.

Darth Mandarb

You have the right person (even if only by first name) so I'm inclined to award you the victory!

Vera Rubin (July 23, 1928 â€" December 25, 2016) was an American astronomer who pioneered work on galaxy rotation rates. Rubin spent her life advocating for women in science and was known for her mentorship of aspiring women astronomers. She was honored throughout her career for her achievements, and received the Bruce Medal, the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society, and the National Medal of Science, among others.

Vera Rubin (pictured w/ John Glenn)

dayowlron

Wow, just noticed, she died recently.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

LameNick

Vera Rubin of course *doublefacepalm! I didn't know she passed away, that's sad, everybody's leaving lately.

Question:
It was one of the first ever recorded economic bubbles that the all merciful invisible hand in its infinite wisdom delivered to society. What was it called?

milkanannan

^Am I the only one that thinks this thread should be a little less poetic? These initial questions are just so opaque. I get it ~ we're all adventure gamers ~ but the initial 'three-cryptic-hints-before-an-actual-hint' approach is getting old very quickly. Anyone else in favour of a 'this American was the first Catholic president' sort of thread? I mean, just ask the damn question! (laugh)

LameNick

I deeply apologize for my crappy poetry. The invisible hand was just a reference to Adam Smith and it doesn't really have to do anything with that particular question, which is: 

Its widely considered the first ever recorded Economic bubble. What is bubble called?

Kumpel

LameNick

@Kumpel:Correct Answer!

Tulip fewer also known as  Tulip bubble or “Tulip mania was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then dramatically collapsed in February 1637.”-wiki

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: manifest class on Fri 20/10/2017 20:30:37
^Am I the only one that thinks this thread should be a little less poetic? These initial questions are just so opaque. I get it ~ we're all adventure gamers ~ but the initial 'three-cryptic-hints-before-an-actual-hint' approach is getting old very quickly. Anyone else in favour of a 'this American was the first Catholic president' sort of thread? I mean, just ask the damn question! (laugh)

Interesting. I, personally, find it more fun that way. Couldn't really explain why. I think it's because it's not just pointing to the answer.  You have to interpret the clues.  I suppose it should be left to the discretion of the one posting the question? Unless a lot of people find it annoying too.

Kumpel

I am out of ideas. Please anyone take over in the meantime.

Darth Mandarb

This honest man was the 16th president of the United States of America.

Gurok

John Wilkes Booth

(honest John)
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

milkanannan

Abraham Lincoln

What country do the Gurkhas come from?

Gurok

Hold your fire, manifest. Darth hasn't confirmed the answer.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Darth Mandarb

dayowlron

I liked that episode of NCIS:LA where they had a Gurkha with them. I believe it was India or Nepal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk