World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

dayowlron

Think I am going to go with an easy one.
who was the first man in space?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

CaptainD

Uh... I'm thinking Yuri Gargarin and will be horribly embarrassed if I'm wrong!  (Slightly less so if I'm right but have the spelling of the surname wrong.)

dayowlron

Correct and even spelled correctly. I was going to ask the first woman in space but then I looked that up and didnt think anyone would know Valentina Tereshkova.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

CaptainD

I'm afraid I would never have known the first woman in space (although the name does seem familiar now that I've seen it). 

Um... mind's gone blank for the moment, I'll be back with a new question soon...

CaptainD

Okay I have one - hope it's not too easy.

Which Spanish conquistador conquered the Aztec empire in the 16th century?

Sinitrena

CaptainD

Sinitrena

We are looking for a painter. She is known for her self-portraits, which she started to paint after an accident, where she was impaled by a handrail (literally), forced her to spend months in bed.

Kumpel

Sinitrena

That was quick, I'm impressed. Frida Kahlo is correct.

Darth Mandarb

This AGS Forums member won the last round, but has yet to post the next question...

CaptainD

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 27/10/2017 13:10:36
This AGS Forums member won the last round, but has yet to post the next question...

Ooh ooh I think I know this one... :-D

Kumpel

Oh holy cow! Yet another blind shot that hits! (wtf)

Let's see...

What was the historic reason that until today several dozen churches, associations and private persons worldwide are equipped with a cross made out of carpenter nails?

bonus question:
What is engraved in all of these crosses?

edit: slightly extended the question

Mandle

Because Jesus was a carpenter?

Can I get a "DERP-DERP" from someone please!

milkanannan

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 27/10/2017 13:10:36
(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

milkanannan

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 27/10/2017 14:27:30
Because Jesus was a carpenter?

Can I get a "DERP-DERP" from someone please!
Going to agree with this and guess the bonus is 'INRI'?

Kumpel

Of course we are not talking about a simple crucifix  :P

The Idea behind this "movement" is to remind people all over the world what terrible things humans can do to each other.

Sinitrena

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 28/10/2017 11:13:46
Of course we are not talking about a simple crucifix  :P

I have to point this out: A cross and a crucifix are not the same thing, and the distinction is quiet important in art.

A cross is just two bars crossed, without any specific form other than that. For example this: x is techniquelly also a cross. In a religious, christian context, it is usually one slightly longer vertical bar and a slightly shorter horizontal bar. I think some orthodox churches use a symetrical cross, but I'm not sure.

A crucifix, on the other hand, is a representation of the cruxification of Jesus. That is, a crucifix always includes a cross on the one hand and a figure of Jesus on the other, be it as a statue or just an image. Sometimes, there's a plate with the inscription INRI on a crucifix, which stands for Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, in latin.

Sorry, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine - and I also wanted to clarify: Is your question about a cross or a crucifix?

As  for carpenter nails, I know that many churches claim to own some of the nails that were used to nail Jesus to the cross. So I assume it's possible that some other churches also use more modern carpenter nails to remember this.

Edit: Then there's the Cross of Coventry. I can't remember the details, but after the destruction of the whole city in WWII  a cross was made out of some of the debris - probably carpenter nails, considering your question (if I'm right, of course), and copies(?) sent all over the world, most likely among others to Dresden, which was also destroyed in the war - and is now partner city or something of Coventry. I don't know anything about an inscription, but maybe "Coventry"? These crosses are meant to promote peace.

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Sat 28/10/2017 11:13:46
The Idea behind this "movement" is to remind people all over the world what terrible things humans can do to each other.

Is it something about The Holocaust then?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk