World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sat 28/10/2017 12:20:24
Edit: Then there's the Cross of Coventry. I can't remember the details, but after the destruction of the whole city in WWII  a cross was made out of some of the debris - probably carpenter nails, considering your question (if I'm right, of course), and copies(?) sent all over the world, most likely among others to Dresden, which was also destroyed in the war - and is now partner city or something of Coventry. I don't know anything about an inscription, but maybe "Coventry"? These crosses are meant to promote peace.

Thanks for clarifying this for us. And that is the solution I was looking for!

The Nail Cross Community is founded on the "coventry blitz" called air raid by german bombers in WW2 that destroyed the Cathedral in Coventry. This event has been sadly avenged by bombing almost the whole city of Dresden and seriously destroying big parts of several other Cities in Germany. A priest had the idea to use some nails he found in the debris of coventry cathedral, to create a cross that should be a symbol of peace, first only beetween England and Germany (the first cross went to the church of Kiel) but until today between everyone worldwide who wants to be part of this community. Their most famous partnership is indeed beetween Coventry and Dresden, when an english bishop handed over the cross to the bishop of saxony right after the completion of the rebuilt Frauenkirche ("Church of our Lady"in the year 2005.

As for the bonus question: I made a mistake there. The words I meant haven't been engraved in the crosses, but in the wall of the cathedral's ruin in Coventry. And these words are "father forgive".

Your turn, Sinitrena.

Sinitrena

This one should be easy (if I didn't make he clue too obscure):

He was a well-known actor and while he spoke his most famous sentence on a stage in a theatre, he is not remembered for his acting.

Stupot

Ronald Reagan?
He was an actor but is not remembered for his acting as much as his stint as POTUS.
I don't know which famous quote you're referring to but I'm sure he said some good ones on theatre stages during his Presidency..

Kumpel

Arnold Schwarzenegger?

nah. not a theater actor

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sun 29/10/2017 06:13:40
This one should be easy (if I didn't make he clue too obscure):

He was a well-known actor and while he spoke his most famous sentence on a stage in a theatre, he is not remembered for his acting.

John Wilkes Booth

Sinitrena

Darth Mandarb

I enjoyed that clue. Just the right amount of obscurity and enough hints to think outside the box. Well done!

On to the next:

This Norwegian explorer (with his four companions) is credited as being the first human to reach the geographic south pole on 14 December 1911. Beating the British Terra Nova Expedition, led by Robert Falcon Scott, by only 5 weeks.

Sinitrena

Ronald (or something) Amundsen

Darth Mandarb

Roald Amundsen for the win :D

Sinitrena

Roald, that's it. I thought Roland or Raoul, I guess the answer was in the middle.

The next one is a very sad and awful one:

We are looking for the name of the meeting in 1942 where the "final solution of the Jewish question" was discussed and its implementation ensured.

LameNick

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Sinitrena

It is the Wannsee Conference.

Over to you LameNick.

LameNick

It was a competition between two formats, during which many animals and a man were executed in a dreadful manner.
By what name is this short historical episode referred to?

selmiak

it's the betamax vs VHS war of course!

LameNick

I'm sure Betamax vs VHS had its casualties, however no showcase executions were involved as far as I know. These are literal carried out killings I'm referring to, but you got the word “war” right.

Gilbert

AC vs DC. I think its Edison vs err... Tesla?
The asshole Edison even electrocuted an elephant showing how dangereous AC was.

LameNick

That's right, it was AC versus DC known as the War of Currents!

According to wiki the electrocution of poor Topsy happened quite some time after the war, but Harold Brown with Edison's direct support and the support of Westinghouses'(company using Tesla's AC patent) competition publically electrocuted many animals to demonstrate that AC current is more deadly than DC. They also got hold of Westinghous AC generators to provide assistance in the first electric chair execution which took 8 minutes and a witnessing reporter claimed that it was "an awful spectacle, far worse than hanging".

Your turn Gilbert.

Gilbert

As I failed my history classes I actually never expected I could answer anything or even post in this thread, but that AC/DC things kept popping up before me in recent years, so...

Let me try, hopefully this is easy and I get the facts correct:

I've tried but I couldn't find any idea, so anyone fast enough can steal this turn.

milkanannan

What French general kicked the tomb of Saladin and said "We have returned."?

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk