World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

Annihilator, right! It sounds much more interesting than plain "killer".

I can't think of a good question right now, so someone please take my turn.

Baron

This infrastructure project was described by a contemporary poet as "that tongue that is licking up the cream of commerce and finance of a continent."

CaptainD

Hmm... The First Transcontinental Railroad perhaps?

Baron

That's a rather unspecific guess.  Which continent?  Which railroad?

CaptainD

The United States coast to coast railway.

Baron

It seems like you're referring to the Central Pacific Railroad (that went from California to Utah) and the Union Pacific Railroad (that stretched from Iowa to Utah), which together were the first "transcontinental" railroad, although neither originally stretched to the Atlantic.  But both of those are incorrect. :)

Kumpel

Mandle

The trans-Siberian railroad?

Baron

Nope, nope.

Another poet mused melodically that "you'll always know your neighbour, and you'll always know your pal" if you'd ever been on this piece of infrastructure.

Baron

It made Rome a city, but had fallen into disrepair by the 3rd century of the republic.

Darth Mandarb

You'll always know your neighbor, and you'll always know your pal if y'ever navigated on the Erie Canal!

Didn't know that first quote (or the third) but I remember that jingle about the canal.

Baron

The Erie Canal is correct!

The first quote was of a bitter Bostonian, Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. (father of the supreme court justice).  I just remember the Pete Seger song for the second quote, but apparently the song is much older.  The third clue was referring to Rome, New York and the American republic. :P

Darth Mandarb

This event, which took place nearly 75,000 years ago, is believed to have caused a genetic bottle neck of the human population. Estimates range from 10,000 to as few as 1,000 humans left on the planet. Human kind has never come so close to being totally wiped out. While there has been some disagreement in recent years (as to whether this event actually caused the population crisis) most still believe this event was responsible for the near-extinction of humanity.

CaptainD

My guess would be the 3rd Ice Age?

Darth Mandarb

An excellent guess, but is not the answer!

LameNick

Eruption of the volcano Tobu somewhere in Indonesia if i recollect correctly. 
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Baron

Dude, it's the biblical flood! ;-D

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: LameNick on Mon 13/11/2017 19:54:01Eruption of the volcano Tobu somewhere in Indonesia if i recollect correctly.

It's Toba (at least in English) but you got it either way!

Your turn!

LameNick

Looks like I'm not even capable to remember a single name correctly. But then again, I am not known for having one of the greatest memories of all time.:-D

It is a famous diagram, representing proportions, drawn by a famous artist.
What is the diagram called?

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

lorenzo

The Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk