World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Here's a good one: Which history quiz game is lapsing into obsolescence? (roll) 

Mandle

A man once fell from a horse and eventually died from his injuries.

If he had not fallen it could have potentially prevented the huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons that exist today from ever being created.

Who was this man?

milkanannan

'Could have'? So now we're dealing in hypothetical histories? (laugh)

Alternative question (you can keep working on Mandle's if you want): What charter did King John of England sign in 1215?

Kweepa

The Magna Carta.
Back to Mandle's question. :)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mandle

Quote from: Kweepa on Tue 12/12/2017 23:56:55
Back to Mandle's question. :)

I changed mine slightly as I realized the wording was not really correct.

CaptainD

Hmm... I'm not really familiar with this but I assume it's something about someone discovering Uranium after falling off their horse, and if they hadn't fallen they wouldn't have stopped there?

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 13/12/2017 10:17:10
Hmm... I'm not really familiar with this but I assume it's something about someone discovering Uranium after falling off their horse, and if they hadn't fallen they wouldn't have stopped there?

Naw...

It's more about politics than science...

Baron

Senator Joseph McCarthy fell off a horse, hit his head, and became America's most vociferous douche-bag, thereby initiating an era of anti-communist hysteria and nuclear megalomania!  ;-D

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Fri 15/12/2017 02:01:36
Senator Joseph McCarthy fell off a horse, hit his head, and became America's most vociferous douche-bag, thereby initiating an era of anti-communist hysteria and nuclear megalomania!  ;-D

Hahaha! Actually the guy that fell was Russian nobility I believe.

Stupot

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 16/12/2017 23:41:50
Nikolai Felov.

Hahaha...

He was supposed to marry a Spanish woman if I remember correctly which would have made California a Russian colony but took a fall from a horse on the way back home to ask permission to marry and died.

If he hadn't have fallen then America and Russia may have been neighbours on the same continent and may have sorted out their differences way before the Cold War was destined to happen thus negating the need for billions of dollars invested in the nuclear arms race and a stockpile of weapons that ensure the extinction of the human race if every used.

This scenerio comes from Mona Clee's fictional novel "Branch Point" which I don't have with my now and couldn't even find the name of the Russian nobleman myself.

Maybe I can look it up soon but until then I'm off on a trip and probably can't update here for a few weeks so someone take over please.

Baron

Wait, wait, wait.  You.... don't even know who the guy was at the centre of the implausible Rude-Goldberg-machine-esque alternate reality historical scenario? (roll)  I foresee a much more challenging and amusing historical quiz game thread opening up. :=

It is done!

Baron

All right, here's one from a book I'm quite enjoying right now.  Since actual names might be obscure, I'm happy with a title:

What was the title of the blind man who personally led his troops in storming the largest city in Christendom?  

dayowlron

just to throw something out there and since your just asking for the title, I am going to say Emperor?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Baron

Well, emperor of __________ would count.  I mean, there's only a very finite number of titles out there.

dayowlron

Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

CaptainD

Emperor of China?

(Er... is the "Emperor" part actually correct?)

Baron

Quote from: dayowlron on Wed 27/12/2017 19:39:33
Emperor of Byzantium? sp?

As a rule, Emperors of Byzantium tended to be blinded after being deposed.  While they might have family that would besiege the imperial city on their behalf to restore them, I am unaware of any blind emperor or ex-emperor personally leading the troops forward.

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 27/12/2017 21:24:58
Emperor of China?

(Er... is the "Emperor" part actually correct?)

I'm not familiar with any Chinese emperor attacking major Christian centres.

And no, it wasn't an Emperor, who I'd expect to be named.  So now we're down to kings, churchmen, nobles, saints, and impresarios....  ;)

CaptainD

Baron

....No.  And technically that's not a guess either.  I will accept the actual name of the individual, but as it's not common knowledge I'll also take an answer in this format: the __________ of __________.  For example: the Count of Flanders, the Earl of Devon, the King of Denmark, the Prince of Muscovy, etc.  The event itself was front page news back in the 13th century; I was just never aware of the actual players involved before reading this book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk