World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

Need an hint?

It happened out of France.

_

TheFrighter

Nobody try to guess more? So i'll drop down...

It was the infamous Thiaroye massacre happened 30 November to 1 December 1944 in Dakar, Senegal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiaroye_massacre

Those facts inspired a beatiful movie:

[imgzoom]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a0/Camp_de_Thiaroye.jpg[/imgzoom]

_

milkanannan

Thanks I'll check that movie out.

OK a quick African geography question to reinvigorate the thread:

After the Nile, which runs at almost 7000 km, what is the longest river in the African continent?

MiteWiseacreLives!

milkanannan

milkanannan

Mite hasn't logged in since he posted that correct answer, so let's carry on without them. Next question:

What is this? What significance do most people credit it with?

Laura Hunt

OK, so.

The coat of arms on the left is Spanish for sure. Those are the flags of Castile and Aragon if I'm not mistaken. And on the right, we can read "rex" and "regina", king and queen, so it has to be Ferdinand (king of Aragon) and Isabella (queen of Castile).

Not really sure what the significance of the coin might be, though. Commemoration of the Spanish re-taking of the city of Granada, maybe? Something to do with the invasion of the Americas?

Mandle

The bundle of arrows reminds me of American money so... was it the first attempt at an American currency?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 11/10/2019 07:37:49
The bundle of arrows reminds me of American money so... was it the first attempt at an American currency?

The bundle of arrows was actually meant to represent Ferdinand and Isabella, since "arrows" is "Flechas" in Spanish (Ferdinand/Fernando), and the yoke is "Yugo" (Ysabel).

"Fun" fact, the yoke-and-arrows was appropriated by Franco's regime, since they saw it as a symbol of the fight of Christianity against Islam and the taking back of what rightfully belonged to Spain:

(I'm not going to post the image here because it gives me the fucking creeps just to see it, but I'll link to it in case you're curious: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Bandera_FE_JONS.svg/2000px-Bandera_FE_JONS.svg.png)

milkanannan

Yes, it is Spanish - it is a piece of eight and first put into circulation around 1500. Thank you for walking us through how you pulled the answer together, Laura. You know way more about it than I ever could without the help of Wikipedia! (laugh)

Its significance probably depends on who you asked, but I just remember hearing on that 'History of the World in 100 Objects' BBC podcast that most attribute it as the first truly 'international currency', as its stability made it attractive for trade pretty much anywhere in the western world, its varies colonies, and even beyond. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/JO391t6cRtGxstjbE4EEmg

Anyway, your go Laura Hunt!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 11/10/2019 11:03:31
Yes, it is Spanish - it is a piece of eight and first put into circulation around 1500. Thank you for walking us through how you pulled the answer together, Laura. You know way more about it than I ever could without the help of Wikipedia! (laugh)

Well, it's my history after all ;) And I should have also made the yoke and arrows connection from the start, it was the most obvious clue!

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 11/10/2019 11:03:31Its significance probably depends on who you asked, but I just remember hearing on that 'History of the World in 100 Objects' BBC podcast that most attribute it as the first truly 'international currency', as its stability made it attractive for trade pretty much anywhere in the western world, its varies colonies, and even beyond. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/JO391t6cRtGxstjbE4EEmg

Oh interesting! See, that I didn't know!

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 11/10/2019 11:03:31Anyway, your go Laura Hunt!

No no

I'm really bad at this whole "finding interesting historical events" thing, so somebody please take my turn!

Mandle

What is probably the most redundantly categorized plant in the history of science? Dozens of different botanists categorized its various types during the 19th Century in different ways without consulting each other and the mess is yet to be fully sorted out to this day.

A more interesting one came up, but people can still answer the old one if they like:

What two historical figures, one a visionary man of science, the other a great leader, were born on the same day of the same year?

milkanannan

Let the random guessing begin!

Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Edison?

Can we at least get some nationalities or a century or something that narrows it a bit? Cheers

Mandle

Quote from: man n fist on Sat 12/10/2019 01:49:03
Let the random guessing begin!

Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Edison?

Can we at least get some nationalities or a century or something that narrows it a bit? Cheers

Half right.

Kweepa

Is the plant the pea plant (as used by Mendel)?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mandle

dayowlron

was it Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

Quote from: dayowlron on Tue 15/10/2019 03:11:34
was it Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin?

That's the two!

And the answer the plant question was "grass". (the normal kind)

Over to dayowlron!

milkanannan

OK I stand corrected. I full on thought that question was going to derail the thread for months!

dayowlron

Here is an interesting one:
What happened in 1923 to jockey Frank Hayes that was so unique that it is not likely to ever happen again?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk