World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Cassiebsg

I'm pretty sure I saw this on a german mini-series... but alas I can't remember what the kids called it.  :-[
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Sinitrena

Ponch came closest to the right solution, and therefore gets to ask the next question.

What I was acutually looking for was Raisin Bombers (German: Rosinenbomber) or Candy Bombers.

Wikipdia knows:

QuoteRaisin Bombers (German: Rosinenbomber) or (in US English) "Candy Bombers" were colloquial terms Berliners gave to the Western Allied (American and British) transport aircraft which brought in supplies by airlift to West Berlin during the Soviet Berlin Blockade in 1948/1949.
(...)
The name came from the fact that some pilots started voluntarily to throw sweets and candy (and, presumably, also raisins) on little tinkered parachutes out of the window to children lined up on the edges of the West Berlin airfields watching the planes. These actions were first attributed to American pilot Gail Halvorsen, nicknamed "Uncle Wiggly Wings", who began to drop chocolate bars he had attached handkerchiefs to while approaching Tempelhof Airport. Upon comprehensive coverage in the media, drops were ordered expanded by Lt. General William H. Tunner as "Operation Little Vittles".

While the regular suply of fuel and food kept the West-Sector of Berlin alive in 1948/49, the drops of candy can be atributed in no small amount to keeping morale and spirit alive and contributed to the general view of the western forces after WW2 as allies instead of enemies. Refering to the whole operation (not just the candy drops), General Lucius D. Clay said (again, quoting wikipedia):

"There is no practicability in maintaining our position in Berlin and it must not be evaluated on that basis… We are convinced that our remaining in Berlin is essential to our prestige in Germany and in Europe. Whether for good or bad, it has become a symbol of the American intent."

Over to you, Ponch.

Edit: Corrected a link

Ponch

He won every medal on the battlefield but never won the biggest award from the film set.

Mandle

Ponch

Mandle

Hmmm... I guess I had a major malfunction...

Patton?

Ponch

Nope. To narrow it down, this man is on the very short list of people who had both a medal of honor and a film career as a noticeably short cowboy.

Mandle

Mandle

Quote from: morganw on Fri 08/11/2019 10:26:36
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 08/11/2019 04:38:25
Ronald Reagan?
The actor?!?

Hahaha, sure thing "future boy"... Whos the Vice President? Jerry Lewis?

Ponch

Nope, it's not the Gipper. But this guy was a world War II vet.

Mandle

Ponch

Not on your life, pilgrim.

Jack

Funny, I did think John Wayne when you said short.

Ponch

John Wayne was actually fairly tall. The war hero turned movie star I'm talking about was actually a little shorter than Tom Cruise.

Mandle

Ponch

I'm starting to wonder if you're taking this seriously.  :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk