World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

Does the Soviet Union count?

milkanannan

Apparently just prior to the Soviet Union, so yeah Russian. I just went by the wiki list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_empires

Go for it Chomba!

Chomba

Well, let's get on with it!
Moving to the other side of the pond:

Which woman's name became synonymous with "treason" after the Spanish conquest of America and why?

PD: I think it's an interesting story for those who don't know it!

Edit:

A hint: Mexico

Chomba

Okay, I don´t wanna kill this thread, so... let´s change the question:

What were the names of the people whose assassination triggered World War I?

Sinitrena

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie of Hohenberg, killed in Sarajevo.

But I'd really like to know the answer to your previous question, so can we go back to that, please?  :-*

Chomba

Yes! Your turn Sinitrena!

Since you ask:

The name is "Malinche".

--------------------
La ("the") Malinche (also known as Doña Marina, Malinal and Malintzin) was a woman of Nahuatl origin, lover, interpreter and advisor to Hernán Cortés and also one of the most important figures in the conquest of Mexico.

With her gift for languages, La Malinche learned Spanish quite quickly and became Hernán Cortés' most important translator, interpreter and advisor. La Malinche converted to Catholicism and was baptised. At her baptism she received the name Marina, and later the Spaniards began to call her Doña Marina.
-------------------

In short, she was a native who married Hernán Cortés and would have helped him in the conquest of her own people.

Of course today we can discern that this is a macho and distorted view of history, Malinche did not marry Cortés of her own free will, but was GIFTED as a slave and appropriated by him.

Today the true role of Malinche in the conquest is debated, as many see her as a SURVIVOR rather than a traitor; others say that her actions were not as definitive or important as they are presented, as Cortés had other resources that would have allowed him to achieve the same results.

On the other hand, those who accuse Malinche of treachery say that without her help, the natives could have had more time to prepare and face the Spaniards in better conditions.

Today, the term malinche is used to define those who act against their own culture or principles or who look down on their own in favour of the foreign.

Sinitrena

One learns something new every day. I'd never heard of her before.

Next one:

Most people are probably aware that Marie Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize. She won it together with her husband Pierre Curie and Henri Becquerel in 1903 for Physics. Just two years later, the second woman received the Nobel Prize, this time in the "Peace" category. She was Austrian, born in 1843 and was a journalist and novelist. She was part of the peace movment of her time, campaigned for an international court of justice and was involved in the Hague Conferences. She might have been an influence to Mr. Nobel decission to include a peace prize. Who was the second woman to win a Nobel Prize?

Sinitrena

No guesses?
It is a difficult question, but I#m sure someone can figure it out. (If nothing else works, just google it - I can't think of a different question right now.)

heltenjon

Ah, didn't see the question. Isn't this Bertha von Suttner? (And we're not supposed to google these things, are we? Takes the fun out of it a bit.)

Sinitrena

It is indeed Bertha von Suttner. Your turn.
(And no, normally no googling. But when nobody has any idea...)

heltenjon

What is the perhaps most surprising thing about the great Pharaoh Hatshepsut, who reigned for more than 20 years in Ancient Egypt?

Gilbert

(I know nothing about history of the Pharohs so this is a random guess.)

He is a she?

heltenjon

This one was too easy, I guess. That's absolutely correct!

The title was Pharaoh regardless of the gender, and the royal garb included a fake beard. She established trade routes and was the first to build a tomb in the Valley of Kings, among other things. After her death, someone (it's unclear who) tried to erase her name and image from the lineage of Kings, but they left enough that historians eventually discovered that she had reigned. She wasn't the first or the only female Pharaoh, but probably the most successful. (But not as famous as Cleopatra.)

Over to Gilbert.

Gilbert

What?

Didn't expect this, so I don't have anything in mind atm.

Anyone can steal this spot, otherwise I may find something to put here later.

TheFrighter

Well, let's see...

What king had relationship with a nymph?

(I know it's more legend than history, but a king's word was law at the time)

_

heltenjon

King Arthur and the Lady of the Lake, perhaps? Although I doubt either are historical figures...

TheFrighter

Not.
The king was really existed.

_

milkanannan

Hmm where did the nymph folklore originate - maybe an Irish or German king?

TheFrighter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk