World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

TheFrighter

TheFrighter

So, nobody try to guess? But the kings of Rome was only 7!  8-0

Well, I'll drop it: he was Numa Pompilio, second king of Rome  (715 a.C. - 673 a.C.) after Romolo.

Ancient historician Tito Livio reported the rumor that Numa Pompilio meets the nynph Egeria in the woods and asked her tips about how to rule Rome. Tito Livio doesn't admit that nynphs really exist, however Numa's kingdom was one of the most peaceful and illuminate.

This story inspired many painting, for example this by Felice Giani:

Now, everyone can take the next turn...

...unless you won't try to guess who was the king that faced a ghost...  :-D

_

milkanannan

What was the last of the imperial dynasties of China?

Reiter

Qing, or Quing, I believe. At least, I think so. It ended somewhere around 1910, at any rate. The last Emperor was still a boy, at the time of his abdication. I think he lived on for many years as a caretaker in the Forbidden City. Is this correct?

milkanannan

Reiter

Right, then. Here we are, a question!

We are now looking for a famed war hero. Or rather, war heroine. She served with distinction in the U.S. Marines, and was duly decorated. She was honoured with an equestrian statue at the U.S.M.C. national museum, amongst other things.

Who are we looking for?

Gilbert

Sigourney Weaver?  :grin:

Anyway, since I am Chinese, so the answer to the last question was just common knowledge and I purposedly ignored it (in case even I could get it wrong).

milkanannan

How about another clue, Reiter?

Reiter

Oh, dear! A thousand apologies, we have indeed been long overdue for the next clue!

I can reveal that it is not Sigourney Weaver, although I like the suggestion. As for the Qings, I shall admit that I am entirely at a loss of how you actually say it. Although I greatly admire the Qing flag. The dragon looks so playful.

Now! The second clue! I can reveal that she earned her spurs in the Korean War.

There is also a pictoral clue here:

Spoiler
[close]

Best of luck, and my apologies once more.

Reiter

Final clue, ladies and gentlemen! It would behove you to rub your little greys and think outside of the box! Are we ready?

Final clue!

I can reveal that she became most famous in her capacity as ammunition carrier - a vital role that she carried out with distinction. I can also reveal that she made the rank of Staff Sergeant, after the war. Any inkling as to who it is that we are looking for?

Reiter

You know what they say about beatings and dead horses - or is that about dead bushes? No matter, I think it is time to put this matter to rest. And, of course, reveal the reason to all the horse puns.

The heroine we were searching for is Staff Sergeant Reckless, of course.

She was a munitions carrier during the Korean War, attached to a recoilless rifle platoon - hence Reckless. She was a race-horse at Söul, before U.S. Marines bought her, for munitions hauling.

The 'sergeant' part of the name is not a joke - she earned her battlefield promotion fairly and squarely. Standing firm when explosions are going off is a lot to ask of a horse, but she did it. More to the point, she carried heavy recoilless rifle shells throughout the night - alone - through the difficult terrain. It was not a simple task - she was wounded twice. Few chaps could have done what she could - and few horses. The logistical support she could provide proved invaluable. Besides that, she did a lot of hauling and singals wiring duty.
Her effects on morale, meanwhile, was also invaluable. Her company adored her, and as far as she was concerned, she was part of the corps - and the marines about her agreed.

When the war was over, she repaired with her company to America. As a form of the retirement pay she was due, she lived out her days comfortably in Camp Pendleton, dying in 1968, dearly remembered.

A fascinating tale of a fascinating life - thus.

That was that, then - and the game is now up and free - first one to post a quiz question will inherit the game! Good luck!

Sinitrena

Poor Reckless, not a single one of us knew her!

But maybe the members of the forum are more familiar with a different horse, one that nearly got an even higher rank than that of a sergeant, at least according to legend (or let's call it propaganda). What is the name of the horse that nearly became a consul and who planned this rather unusual promotion in Ancient Rome? (This one should be a bit easier.)

heltenjon

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 30/09/2021 21:13:55
What is the name of the horse that nearly became a consul and who planned this rather unusual promotion in Ancient Rome? (This one should be a bit easier.)

I can't remember the name of the horse, but this was one of the insane emperors' doing. If I recall correctly, it was Caligula. (Other candidates would be Heligobalus or Nero.)

milkanannan

I also don't remember the name, but I think you've got it. Didn't Caligula also build a temporary bridge across [insert body of water I can't remember] for his horse to walk across simply to prove some asshole wrong that quipped Caligula had less chance of being emperor than a horse walking across this piece of water? (laugh) (laugh)

Sinitrena

Caligula is indeed the emporer we are looking for, but I also want the name of the horse, so no winner yet.

Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 01/10/2021 11:22:07
I also don't remember the name, but I think you've got it. Didn't Caligula also build a temporary bridge across [insert body of water I can't remember] for his horse to walk across simply to prove some asshole wrong that quipped Caligula had less chance of being emperor than a horse walking across this piece of water? (laugh) (laugh)

I seem to remember a story like that as well, but it's not mentioned in the wikipedia article for Caligula's horse, so this might have been a different one.

Anyway, any guesses on the horse's name?

Hint
Spoiler

I _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
[close]

Sinitrena

Hint 2:

Spoiler

I N _ _ _ _ _ _ S
[close]

Sinitrena

Hint 3

Spoiler

I N _ _ T _ T _ S
[close]

Anyone? Just guess.

milkanannan

I can’t even think of a word that fits given those blanks.  ??? Is the name an actual word?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk