MOE:VGAdventure

Started by Hollister Man, Sat 19/04/2003 01:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollister Man

I have been endeavoring to make a good quality adventure game to fill the void that is Mask of Eternity. As far as I know all the original puzzles are still in so far, and more will be added. Ã, I got an offer to help with the art recently, since I have been using mostly hand sketches and screenshots to build. Ã, In addition we will be adding many new puzzles, and at least a few eggs, even in the demo. Ã, I've got to update it to the new version of WinEdit, and I will include a more Mask like font, and add lip synch frames. Ã, 

The first demo might be ready by june, but I wouldn't consider it more than an alpha. Ã, I feel it should be done in chapters to reduce the apparent workload and to get interest started for the later levels. Ã, Even my poor demo surpasses some attempts that I have seen, but I want this to be as good as a commercial game.

UPDATE 7/21/2004

Still not much happening, although I am still very much interested in the project.  If anyone wants the demo I got bodged together, its at www.demoquest.us/compiled.zip

Beware, there are many bugs, but you can see that I have tried to make it nice.  This hasn't had many changes since I killed my laptop last year, but redruM has recently rekindled my interest.  Hopefully this will also drum up some encouragement.

As always, if anyone is interested in lending a hand, much appreciation will be had as well as a spot in the credits, I'm sure.  Of anything, I am most interested in people to discuss ideas about the game, but art is also an issue.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

Jimi

Sounds good. Have you started yet? any screenshots?

Hollister Man

I have some and can post updated ones. Ã, The only problem is that I am not satisfied with most of the BG's. Ã, I would really appreciate the image-redirect address, since I have only a GeoCities account.
EDIT-Site dead
http://www.geocities.com/allmen.rm/images.html

EDIT-see first post for demo link
Here is the link. Ã, Three shots of *mostly* finished areas.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

AGA

Hollister Man

I guess you are prolly right.  I saw an old clock with the IIX, and I liked it better.  Besides that, I think I had a math teacher tell me that no numeral group under ten was 4 letters long.  I checked and you appear to be right.  I may change it, since I saved my source PSP file.

Thanks for letting me know, I just never liked VIII, it looks dumb. :P  Maybe I should just spell eight?

daventry

Why are you remaking King's Quest Mask Of Eternity.

AGA

They're remaking it in VGA, to make it more like the other Sierra games, I'd assume.

daventry

So it will be the same KQ8 game, but with a few extra levels and puzzels or something.

When will the game be released.

Gilbert

Quote from: Hollister Man on Sat 19/04/2003 23:32:30
I guess you are prolly right.  I saw an old clock with the IIX, and I liked it better.  

Roman Numerals were sorta acient thingie, and it had undergone some centuries of evolution, and there're often inconsistencies in notations in different times and places (one good example is that there're many different ways to denote numbers > 4999), but in modern times, for uniqueness, the most common notation is unified that when you have to use the "left-subtraction" rule, you would only subtract one symbol, and at most 3 symbols added to the right for "right-addition", ie, we have XIII not IIX, IX not VIIII.

However for design (which usually is the case for clock faces), sometimes the designers would break the rulez just to make them look better, so it's quite common that you'll see things like IIX or VIIII in a clock face.

In my opinion, if you like IIX, just use it, no one should criticize for your "wrong use" of it (though most people may not understand it in the first sight) for it's just acient numerals and you can do anything if you're doing "design".

Hollister Man

Wow, I didn;t think anyone would be looking that far back in the forums.  I am still working on it, but passively right now.  

For Daventry:  It should have ALL the original puzzles from Mask, but with pre-drawn backgrounds and many additional puzzles.  Check out Tierra's KQ2:RTS for an idea.  I would like to make it as congruous as possible with the rest of the series.  If you still wonder, I'll be more specific when I have decided on a little more of the details.

daventry

Hi, how is the project coming along, is there a website.

Blackthorne

Quote from: daventry on Sun 21/12/2003 22:36:01
Hi, how is the project coming along, is there a website.

Most of these projects seem dead, my friend daventry.  These threads have been dead for quite a long time.... if you didn't notice.  Also, people who use the English language use question marks after interogative statements.  Just kind of one of those rules of language one should use.

Blackthorne
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Hollister Man

I am ashamed of you, Blackthorne. :)  I REALLY want to get back to this project, but I am practicing and honing my talent on another project with Blusoft right now.  Hopefully after the current project is well on its way I will be back to bring everyone some new stuff.

I will try not to make this sound noobish, but any help would be greatly appreciated.  I think that some of the members of the aforementioned project will be up to helping with MoE:VGA, but it is on the back burner for the moment.  Not like KQ9 is coming along any faster.  ;)

EDIT

You got me thinking, though.  There are times when I feel like working on  project, but can't get anyone at Blusoft to reply.  I will put some effort into this, but I have a petition for members of the community.

1: I have repeatedly tried to make a good sprite in Poser.  I know it isn't a good way, but it IS fast, and the PC is the most important thing to get the game started.  If anyone is interested, I am thinking of a KQ style Connor character, but pretty hi-res, so as to use the vector scaling engine, possibly even the 32 bit feature.

2: I need some info about the original KQ games.  Are KQ 4 or 5 actually set IN daventry?  It seems to me like the castle got moved sometime in there, from in the forest to a large valley (intro to kq5).  Are there any locations that should be included if this is to be the town around Castle Daventry?  Maybe it sould be a town nearby?  What should the town be called?

Now that I have space to post my artwork, I can get some feedback and maybe get a few people together to get this project ROLLING.  

Hollister Man

I have been thinking about this project again, seeing as how DemoQuest is going slowly.  It seems like the stress of sprite animation must be killing our team members (first Pttr then PenguinX disappeared)

I am still wondering if anyone can shed some light on the location of the castle?  I have looked for the KQ anthology, but have not had the $$ to buy it yet.  I was always ticked about MoE, why did Daventry look so...barren compared to the Davntry seen in KQ1?  Because they didn't like modelling trees, I suppose.  Any help in this area would be appreciated.

As stated in the first post, I would love to discuss the game with anyone interested, even if that is as far as it goes.  I do my best work when I can bounce ideas off other people, if you know what I mean.

BerserkerTails

QuoteAre KQ 4 or 5 actually set IN daventry?

No. King's Quest IV takes place in the land of Tamir, as Rosella searches for a magical fruit to save her father, and to save Genesta from her ever weakening powers.

King's Quest V also takes place in another "land". I can't remember the exact name, but at the first I recall that Graham has to fly (With the aid of pixie dust) to it.

Come to think of it, the only KQ games that take place in Daventry are King's Quest I, and the last bit of III. (I think KQVIII might of had some daventry in it as well).
I make music.

Hollister Man

I think 7 only had a beginning cutscene in Daventry, but I specifically remember Mordock (or something) shrinking the castle, which was situated in a large landscaped valley.

BerserkerTails

They all have parts that take place in Daventry...

KQ1: Takes place in daventry
KQ2: The intro takes place in Daventry
KQ3: The outro takes place in Daventry
KQ4: Intro and Outro in Daventry
KQ5: Intro in Daventry
KQ6: Intro in Daventry
KQ7: Intro in Daventry

I don't know about 8 though...
I make music.

Blackthorne

Quote from: BerserkerTails on Wed 21/07/2004 18:29:22
QuoteAre KQ 4 or 5 actually set IN daventry?

No. King's Quest IV takes place in the land of Tamir, as Rosella searches for a magical fruit to save her father, and to save Genesta from her ever weakening powers.

King's Quest V also takes place in another "land". I can't remember the exact name, but at the first I recall that Graham has to fly (With the aid of pixie dust) to it.

Come to think of it, the only KQ games that take place in Daventry are King's Quest I, and the last bit of III. (I think KQVIII might of had some daventry in it as well).

V started with the Mordack/Castle Cutscene.Ã,  And V took place in Serenia.... which interestingly was the same setting as Wizard and Princess.......

And Hollister Man, I didn't mean to say you weren't working on this in my post months ago.Ã,  It's a cool idea, for sure...... and I hope you do some further work on it.Ã, 

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Hollister Man

Ah its no big deal BT, you're just acting in character (I assume you took the name after Blackthorne in Ultima?)

There are SO many fangames that bite the dust, and so many more that suck when they ARE released.

Thanks BerserkerTails, that's pretty much what I thought.  That makes it harder, though.  KQ1's backgrounds are SO linear, it is hard to imagine how I could modify them to look similar, but more barren and such.  If you kill the trees, there's nothing left!  Graham killed the witch, and saved the woodcutter family.  That's all the people in Daventry?  Maybe I should just do my best and ignore KQ1 for the most part.  Considering that the KQ5 castle didn't look anything like it, and I have not played 3 or 4 in almost a decade.

Part of my problem is lack of good reference works.  I was trying to draw the falls/back entrance to the castle, but I couldn't get the rocks to look realistic.  I have tried to draw interior scenes, but I end up giving up, I guess I just don't have the know how.

As soon as I get my bank account nursed back to health ($130 in overdraft charges during a vacation can ruin your day) I will certainly get all the KQ games I can.  Probably QFG as well.  I have never played QFG, so I'm looking forward to that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk