Slasher's Corner

Started by Slasher, Tue 31/10/2017 17:05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hello and welcome to my Corner.

For those that don't know me I would like to introduce myself, my life and how I found ags beneficial..

Born: 20th august 1955 in Southampton, Hampshire, England.

Lost my brother, Julian in 1960.

Schooling: Left school (well, expelled actually for burning down the school's common room's curtains) in Oct 1970 aged 15 and 2 months.

Took up boxing in 1967 and was Kent ABA Champion in 1971,72 and 73. Southern area ABA champion 1971, England ABA quarter finalist 1972.

Between 1973 and 1978 I worked for British rail. I became a train driver from 1975  until 1978. 

During the early 70's I took up the guitar and over the years played in various bands and have played well over 400 gigs. Success never actually made it to my door but I enjoyed the ride.

I married in 1988 until 2006 when my wife decided to leave me and our three sons for pastures green. I managed to cope with my 3 sons who were then aged 18,16 and 14. It was a difficult time but we all pulled through. They have now gone on to make their own lives and visit me often. My wife met a man who abused her mentally and they had a child. Needless to say it all ended badly and the worst of it is that her daughter got taken into care and my wife has since got breast cancer. We remain good friends and I support her.

By 2005 my health started to decline and eventually it led to a stroke which hit me very hard (could not walk, some sight loss, talk impediment, memory lapse, nausea etc). Over the years I have managed to recover some of my faculties and have improved so much though I'll never be 100%.

Anyhow, enough of the dire stuff....

I first came across AGS not long after it took off. It was some years before I really started to get into it...and a bit longer to actually make a game.... 2009 I think I published my first game..

It soon became apparent that this was something I very much enjoyed. I found it very beneficial to my health as it got me to use my brain.

I do not confess to being a major player, scripter, artist or story writer but I do have other qualities that make up for this and I have had the pleasure of acquainting some great people here who have helped me along the way.

Some of these qualities I would like to share with you if you are driving the same road..... and are either just starting with ags or have a disability...

Please look in anytime... If I can help in some small way I will (nod)

Thank you

AnasAbdin

That was the most amazingly inspiring read I had in a long time, thanks for sharing buddy :)
It's so weird how a few lines of text describe a man's life, there are many years worth of feelings between the lines. I think most of us (or at least me) would ask the eternal question:

How do you find inspiration for your projects? And what do you advice us to keep working with our AGS projects no matter what we go through in life?

Slasher

Hi, AnasAbdin my good friend

QuoteHow do you find inspiration for your projects? And what do you advice us to keep working with our AGS projects no matter what we go through in life?

Well, I'v 62 years of experience to get ideas from.... My madcap humor also springs ideas as well as maybe reading just one headline of a newspaper that starts things going off in my head...or maybe from a situation from the tv: one-armed window cleaner..(laugh)

Generally not long after I begin a project I decide whether to pursue it or not... If I decide to go for it I do without any reservations and with conviction and enthusiasm not matter what.... I have 100's of scripts I can review if I need to do something and I need assistance...

No matter what it takes... You only fail if you give up totally... If you believe in what you are doing NEVER give up despite any obstacles you may come across.. Believe in yourself and take note of negative comments.... but do accept positive criticisms as a positive...

Put all your energy into your game as much as your life will allow you... It is your baby to nurture and bring up.. and hopefully be appreciated to some satisfaction by others. There is nothing better than a job done and done well (nod)

How long did it take to paint st paul's cathedral? Good job they never gave up half way (laugh)

shaun9991

This is very inspiring, Slasher. You truly are an AGS legend :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

dayowlron

That is very inspiring, Slasher. I have worked with computers since 1981 and have been a programmer for a majority of that time. I have done mostly business programming but AGS has gotten me into trying to do some games. I know my weakness is I am not a very good artist and that has been what has kept me from doing anything serious enough to release or show off. From reading your post I think i will not give up though. Thanks for sharing your story.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Slasher

Thank you for your comment shaun9991, though I think 'legend' is a bit strong but I thank you anyway..(nod)

dayowlron: I myself am a 3rd rate artist but I won't let that stop me... I endeavor to improve as and when I can and hope one day to get to at least 2nd rated..

Some games that are quite popular don't have the best artwork but the game play is good... Work on your strengths and leave some extra time to improve your artwork... You tube has some good artwork videos... DON'T let this be an excuse NOT to make a game.. Do your best that is all you can ask... The water may be cold but if you are going to get in.. get in and get it over with (laugh)

Stupot

You are a true game-making machine and your projects improve notably each time. It's interesting and moving to learn some of what drives that enthusiasm.

[delete}

“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
†• Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

Thank you for sharing your impressive story with us, Slasher. And highly appreciated that you put it up here. First, impressed that you always kept going, there's some real strengths in you and your family. And "Home is where the heart is" they say, and your post wonderfully expresses what a fine place this forum is and always has been.

Looking forward to drop by at your corner by and then.

CaptainD

Les it's been a pleasure to work with you on several projects over the years, and in fact you were one of the first people that got me involved in actually making games rather than just playing and reviewing them.  It's also been wonderful to see how game creation has aided your rehabilitation post-stroke (especially as part of my day job is related to stroke services - perhaps I should suggest to our consultants that they encourage all of our patients to take up AGS! (laugh))

What's been especially great is to see you progress from small, very simple games to projects of impressive size and scope, and a commensurate rise in your ability to code, with no challenge too big.  Some idiot even had you coding an engine to handle robots playing football! (roll)

Your motto seems to have always been to not worry too much about anything other than to do your best, and I think that's a pretty good motto for any area of life.

(On the other hand I would like to apologise to the rest of the AGS community for introducing you to MAGS! :-D)

Darth Mandarb

An interesting insight into your past and present motivations.

Your strength and perseverance is impressive.

Your capacity for forgiveness doubly so.

AGS is made better by your presence.

Keep on keepin' on my friend.

Riaise

That was lovely to read, Slasher. I'm so glad you've found that AGS is helping with your recovery. Your games always have such a great sense of humour to them, it's good to see that you've kept that despite everything that's happened to you. I always enjoy seeing what you've come up with for each MAGS theme, your ideas are always so unique! ;-D

Slasher

Hi guys, thank you all for your positive comments..

If any of you have a memory recall problem or are simply very forgetful and can never seem to remember how to do some things than this may be helpful as I know it has helped me...

I made a Folder and named it AGS scripts.. Inside the Folder I added a text file. Using the help manual, Forum searches and asking questions I started to collect scripts. I made a new text file for each script I collected and named the text file accordingly. It started with the most simple things like walking and talking scripts. Over the many many months it went on to more advanced scripting.

Because of my condition at that time I had to frequently look through these scripts. As time went on I found that my frequent looks at the scripts became less and less as most of the scripts became embedded in my head as almost like a second nature. I could look at a situation in a game and my mind would run through things that I could do for that situation and choose something that works.

As I have already mentioned, I am not major script'er or anything but the above has enabled me to do things very quickly as my memory has already started to get back to normality...

I'm so glad I started doing what I did.

Slasher

Hi

If, like me you are not much good at drawing walkcycles but you have managed to obtain/create a Left and Right walkcycle then do not despair.

I use this neat trick to cover both Up and Down walkcycles. With carefully placed walkable areas and mouse coordainates you can give the illusion of the walk Up Down loops....It's not quite like the real thing but the illusion can work quite well in most cases.

You will need to create two Views for the character.

Let's call this View 1

and this one View 2

What this does is change the way the Character Faces when walking Up/Down.

If The Character is Facing Left and he walks Up and to the Left he remains Facing Left.

If The Character is Facing Right and he walks Up and to the Right he remains Facing Right.

It's the same for the Down Loops.

The change of these Views is conditioned by the mouse.x coordinates compared to player.x.

Lastly add this to top of Global.asc script

Code: ags

function on_event (EventType event, int data)
{
  if (event == eEventEnterRoomBeforeFadein)
   // Amend player to your player's script Name.
  if(player.View==1 && mouse.x <=player.x-1){    //Right loop.... mouse/player.x amend to suit
  player.ChangeView(2);
 } else if(player.View==2 && mouse.x >=player.x+1){   //Left loop... mouse/player.x amend to suit
  player.ChangeView(1);  

I think I have typed this in correctly (roll)

Anyhow, I have used this a few times and it works ok....

If you know a better way I would like to hear from you.

Plus if people try this I would like to hear from you also.

Slasher

dayowlron

Is there a reason you didn't use loops 4-7 for diagonal movement?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Slasher

Quote from: dayowlron on Thu 04/01/2018 14:58:01
Is there a reason you didn't use loops 4-7 for diagonal movement?
That could be a work-in alternative...

Cheers

Kweepa

Hmm, your code only changes the view when entering a room.

Here's how I would do it (in the global script):

Code: ags

int oldX;
int oldMove;
enum EState
{
  eStopped,
  eMovingNoDecision, 
  eMovingMadeDecision
};
EState state;

function repeatedly_execute_always()
{
  int xMove = player.x - oldX;
  if (player.Moving)
  {
    if (state == eStopped)
    {
      state = eMovingNoDecision;
    }
    if (state == eMovingMadeDecision && oldMove != xMove)
    {
      state = eMovingNoDecision;
    }
    if (player.View == 1)
    {
      if (xMove > 0)
      {
        player.ChangeView(3);
        state = eMovingMadeDecision;
      }
      else if (xMove == 0 && state == eMovingNoDecision)
      {
        if (player.DestinationX > player.x)
        {
          player.ChangeView(3);
        }
      }
    }
    else if (player.View == 3)
    {
      if (xMove < 0)
      {
        player.ChangeView(1);
        state = eMovingMadeDecision;
      }
      else if (xMove == 0 && state == eMovingNoDecision)
      {
        if (player.DestinationX < player.x)
        {
          player.ChangeView(1);
        }
      }
    }
  }
  else
  {
    state = eStopped;
  }
  oldX = player.x;
  oldMove = xMove;
}
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Slasher

Hi

Cheers Kweepa (nod)

Many years ago I made a game with an ags colleague...

He was adamant that I should fill up all rooms with Hotspots.... It was painstaking having to implement all interactions with all Hotspots where most were of nothing special...

Roll forward a few years I realised what a waste of time and energy it was.

Hotspots are exactly what they are: Things that deserve some kind of interactions...

So, a room may only have one Hotspot but that Hotspot is essential and therefore deserves interactions etc etc...

This has saved me so must wasted time and energy.

What are your views on the placement of Hotspots?...

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 09/03/2018 06:49:31
What are your views on the placement of Hotspots?...
Personally, I think a room should have as many hotspots as it needs. It would be a bit annoying if there was a room absolutely full of all sorts of interesting things, but you could only interact with one thing. Likewise, it would be equally annoying if a room was full of absolutely loads of things, and you could interact with all of them, but you only need to interact with one.
The first is annoying, because you don't get to learn about things, or a character's thoughts about them. The second is annoying because it can make it hard to figure out what you're supposed to be clicking on.
All things in moderation I suppose.

So personally, I think that if it looks like it should be interactable, for example a statue or a painting, then make it into a hotspot. On the other hand, if it's just background fluff that no one is going to be interested in interacting with unless it could be picked up, for a example a roll of toilet paper or a tear in some wallpaper, then leave it hotspotless.

Slasher

Danvzare: I agree with your points....A telephone I would make interactive as it deserves it.. as with anything else of interest.

A plain coffee table I would not bother with, but items on it i would...

Cassiebsg

Personally I enjoy a rich hotspot room, as it gives me the chance to look and understand the room/enviroment better... but I guess I don't need to look at a door just get the answer "it's a door." That would be pointless (unless I was blind and could only "see" the door that way (nod) ). If I'm in a room with lots of interesting stuff on the BG but the only hotspot I can look or interact with is the thing I need to continue the game, it will annoy the heck out of me, as I enjoy exploring and "decide" on my own what is important and what isn't.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk