Slasher's Corner

Started by Slasher, Tue 31/10/2017 17:05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Riaise

I agree with Cassie. I'd prefer to have a room with a few things that the character can look at, as long as they don't distract too much from the important hotspots or items. If I only had one hotspot/object in a room then, unless there was a specific reason for it, I would question whether a whole new room was needed and if could I place that hotspot/object somewhere else.

Slasher

Thanks for your comments on Hotspots guys (nod)

While we are at it..

If a Hotspot/object has a 'description' do you think it deserves ALL interactions or even have no interactions at all, just the description?

No description = no interactions?

Description = all interactions?

What do you guys think?

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 20/03/2018 07:46:18
If a Hotspot/object has a 'description' do you think it deserves ALL interactions or even have no interactions at all, just the description?

No description = no interactions?

Description = all interactions?

What do you guys think?
I think it only needs the interactions that make sense. If you try to include all interactions for all hotspots with descriptions, you're going to be spending a lot of time writing.
A picture doesn't need any interaction other than being able to look at it. Unless there's a safe behind it or something.
That all being said, if it's a hotspot, you should be able to interact with it in some way, even if it's just looking at it. I hate it when a game has a hotspot which only gives you default reactions for everything you try to do to it. Quite a few LucasArts games did that.

dayowlron

I agree with what has been said, but I think all hotspots should have a special look at interaction, but it is perfectly fine to use the default interactions if the user is trying something ridiculous, such as "Use picture" it would be ok to say "I don't know how to do that". When I create a hotspot I look at all the interactions and ask if it makes sense to do this then I write a custom interaction for it.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Danvzare

Quote from: dayowlron on Tue 20/03/2018 13:56:28
I agree with what has been said, but I think all hotspots should have a special look at interaction, but it is perfectly fine to use the default interactions if the user is trying something ridiculous, such as "Use picture" it would be ok to say "I don't know how to do that". When I create a hotspot I look at all the interactions and ask if it makes sense to do this then I write a custom interaction for it.
I can understand why you think all hotspots should have a special "look at" interaction. I most certainly believe that almost all hotspots should as well. But there are just some items (for example, doorways) that I can't imagine anyone trying to look at, and where I think a default reaction would do.

Also, I think I need to add something else. I'm a hypocrite. Despite my opinions on the matter, I actually try to make everything into a hotspot and make a custom interaction for every possible interaction. Simply because I figure that if someone gets stuck, at least they'll still see new reactions. And writing is the easy part, so I figure why not.

Riaise

Big congratulations on the Lifetime Achievement award, Slasher! :-D

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Sun 25/03/2018 13:40:00

Doesn't mean you're now allowed to die any time soon though.

Slasher

Thank you guys for your comments.. I appreciate them..

Mandle: I don't intend to shuffle off this mortal coil just yet (laugh)

I'v already planned my next two new games.

I wonder what next Mags topic will be (April)?

cheers mates ;)

CaptainD

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 25/03/2018 14:33:15
I've already planned my next two new games.

No to mention a certain robofootie game... :-D

Congrats mate, well deserved!

Danvzare

Quote from: Riaise on Sun 25/03/2018 13:40:00
Yeah, congratulations Slasher.

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 25/03/2018 14:33:15
I'v already planned my next two new games.
And here we all thought that you were working on at least three. (laugh)

Slasher

Cheers guys...much thanks.

CaptainD:  you are meant to be sending more footie voices etc...;)

Slasher

For those who have not entered the MAG monthly competition...

Stupot and many others encourage you to enter the Mag monthly competition, whatever your level.

The rules are currently being looked at to make things better all round and to attract you to enter the competition.

The competition rules will vary month to month and you are certain to find something you can get your teeth into whatever skill level you are at.

It's a great place to show what you are best at and to try new things, as well as learn new things.

I personally find it very beneficial and it has taught me the fundamentals of creating games in a time frame and so much more as well as fast tracking my confidence and ability by getting stuck in (nod)

Keep checking the competitions and activities forum to see what's happening now!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=9.0

Keep an eye out for any rule changes from Stupot.

See you there ;)

Slasher

Thought I would keep a blog-diary of my MAG progress.

https://sites.google.com/view/slashersbolg-diary/home

Slasher

Slasher

Hi, welcome...

Are you having trouble? Hit a stumbling block? Out of ideas? Lack of inspirations?

Why not give me a shout?  Non technical questions only for this subject.

I may not have all the answers but maybe I can help in some way...

Slasher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk