MAGS November "Contest" (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Wed 01/11/2017 00:07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS November?

The Gourmet by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Trivial Pass You It by Mandle
0 (0%)
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed
11 (78.6%)
Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/12/2017 00:14:21

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS November (by an impressive margin) is:

Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed.

Well done guys. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for January.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

The Gourmet by Slasher
Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard & Jim Reed

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll above for voting.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: December 14th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Contest
This month's guidelines were set by Riaise.

This month your game must be based around some kind of contest or competition. Whether an Olympic sprinter about to run their final race, a child attending their first spelling bee, or a baking competition at a country fair, the contest must be central to the story. And remember, it's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts! :-D

Ending: November 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Slasher

Something I remember from the radio (made in the 50's) gives me a swell idea for a contest (laugh)

"Now, if we take he's four back teeth out and his tonsils..." (laugh)

Mandle

Wow, nice theme. I can see this getting quite meta:

Someone make a game about making the game they are making!

Riaise

I'm glad the theme is inspiring some ideas! :-D I did wonder if it might be a bit too vague, and that people might be put off because there's nothing specific to work with, but hopefully that won't be the case and we'll get lots of different interpretations. :)

DBoyWheeler

Kinda like the Rites of Rulership in Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire.

Or the competitions Larry goes through in Leisure Suit Larry 7.

Either way, it will be very interesting how this MAGS will pan out.

Slasher

Well, I have the theme, characters and the story.

I am paying homage to one of the great comedians of 50's radio.

I have taken my favourite episode and tweaked it a bit and so far so good...

For those that love 50's comedy radio shows you should appreciate it...

If you haven't you should (nod)

It has me rolling on the floor...

It's called 'The Gourmet'

Scene 1: The restaurant (Done)
Scene 2: The extraction (in production)
Scene 3: The contest
Scene 4: The finale

Win or Lose...it's up to you..

Who am I talking about?

Spoiler

"You're all raving mad!"...     "He tucks into the 6lbs of Bolognese with 2000 yards of spaghetti to suck up."....
[close]

Cassiebsg

I got and idea, so if I can code it I'll do an entry. (nod)
And will challenge myself by coding the game first and do making the graphics last. (laugh)(roll)

I reserve the right to abuse Mandle's proofreading powers! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

KyriakosCH

Sounds nice :)

I am not sure if the game i am making could fit the contest theme, and i am wondering if you guys are way too unforgiving with a bit more dubious entries to the contest := I mean, there is a good chance the game will be finished before the end of November, and given it is my first game i would love some feedback :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Cassiebsg

Please read the rules!

• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.

KyriakosCH

Ok, i suppose i won't be taking part then.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 02/11/2017 18:04:11
I reserve the right to abuse Mandle's proofreading powers! (nod)

You're welcome to abuse me anytime Cassie ;)

HanaIndiana

oh I have a fun idea! Hmm... but no promises just yet. (laugh)

Riaise

It's good to see that there are some potential entries on the way! ;-D

Crimson Wizard

Hey, I decided to actually try making a game, but since I am currently too tired to invent clever story and puzzles, I decided to focus on scripting and make a non-adventure game. :)

Also looking for artist, even made recruitment post (hopefully this is allowed, I have not participated in MAGS for many years).

...now, will keep hopes that I won't get too busy with something this month...

Slasher

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 03/11/2017 22:41:19
Hey, I decided to actually try making a game, but since I am currently too tired to invent clever story and puzzles, I decided to focus on scripting and make a non-adventure game. :)
Now we are in deep trouble (laugh)

Meanwhile:
Scene 2: The extraction (Done)
Scene 3: The contest (in production)
Scene 4: The finale

Cassiebsg

Hope you find someone to the art CW. (nod) I would offer, but you want a 2D artist and I only do 3D models (or stop motion with photos ;)... besides I plan to enter the contest too, sooooo...

But if anything fails, just use the graphics from one or several of the templates. ;)

Damn Slasher, I haven't even started yet and you already have 2 scenes finished.... 8-0

Slasher

Update:
Scene 3: The contest (3/4 Done)
Scene 4: The finale (1/2 Done)

I'm sorry but I can't stop giggling every time I play... I must have a madcap sense of humor (laugh)

Slasher

Update:
Scene 3: The contest (Done)
Scene 4: The finale (Done)

Time now to tweak and test....(nod)

Slasher

The Gourmet
A cultural experience of an adapted 50's comedy radio show: Being tested

Background:
Those that remember Hancock's Half Hour will understand the comedic content. The series was written by the great duo Galton and Simpson between 1954 and 1961.
The show started off on radio and it is this period that I chose to pay homage to the show.
The episode I chose was called 'The Gourmet' and as far as I am aware it was never made for television.
The script for this game has been adapted and amended to suit the game idiom.

This is more of a cultural experience than a game although there are a few interactive elements along the way like choosing items from a menu.

Characters:
There are three central Characters:
* Tony
* Sid
* Bill

Tony is a short, stout man who owns a terraced house in Cheam. He is a bachelor and lives alone. He has a lower than average intellect but fantasizes that he has a much higher intellect and believes he knows about things more than others. He believes he knows about Kipling, Byron, Shakespeare, Dickens and about all the famous artists when in fact he knows very little apart from what he's read in Reader's Digest. He has very few friends as they can see right through him. This never stops him trying to impress people. He often lodges out rooms to people so he can 'educate' them in the finer points of food, art and literature.

Sid is a street wise man who has been around the block a few times. He is a wheeler and dealer and is often involved in petty crimes though nothing major. He lodges with Tony as the rent is cheap and he can often wrap Tony around his finger. He often gets Tony involved in his schemes which generally fail much to Tony's bemusement.

Bill is an Australian and is a 'Tag along' man who has very few friends and often tags along with who ever he can. Ever since he met Sid in a boozer he has tagged along with him. He often falls in with Sid's schemes. He also lodges with Tony from time to time. Tony hates Bill calling him 'Tubs' which he does every time.

Story Line: Sid meets a man in a pub who is a promoter of eating contests. Sid's mind immediately draws to Tony who loves food and says he is a gourmet. Always looking for a quick buck Sid talks Tony into entering the eating contest. Enter Steam-Shovel Tony!

Scenes:
* The Restaurant
* The Extraction
* The Contest
* The Finale

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color
D3d 9
Expected release: by Nov 20th

bon appetit (laugh)

KyriakosCH

Hm... I doubt i can create anything (the deadline is end of November?) but if there is no issue with the game being very brief, i might try, either now or (far more likely) in some future MAGS.
Currently i am busy enough with finishing the Chrysalis game (nod)

Slasher

Sorry to hear that you will not be entering this months MAG KyriakosCH.

I do hope others will enter and I await to see their entry (nod)

Eat, drink and be merry (laugh)

Mandle

Slasher, your screenshot reminds me strangely of the first visit to the world of the living in Grim Fandango...

Slasher

Nothing like it (laugh)

All my own work if I may add...

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 07/11/2017 15:06:26

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest you copied that scene. I just found that it reminded me of it.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 07/11/2017 23:12:21
Quote from: Slasher on Tue 07/11/2017 15:06:26

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest you copied that scene. I just found that it reminded me of it.
Just pulling your leg (laugh)

All on course for a smooth takeoff (nod)

HanaIndiana

Damn that was quick Slasher! :shocked:
Planning out my initial idea, there is no way I'd be able to finish it. :~(
<sigh> I was going with more of a puzzle/non-adventure type game too. If I can think of a way to simplify it, without losing the fun, I might still go for it.

Cassiebsg

One room/mini-game out of 3 coded! (nod)
If anything else fails, the "game" now fits the theme and is an actual game (not very pretty though, as I'm using the most basic of temp art). (roll)(laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 08/11/2017 22:07:54
(not very pretty though, as I'm using the most basic of temp art). (roll)(laugh)

You have temp art?! I don't even have that, and probably won't have any.

At the moment just white text on black background.

This one's more of a proof-of-concept kinda gig at the moment.

Slasher

The Gourmet
A cultural experience of an adapted 50's comedy radio show.
Download The Gourmet

Background:
Those that remember Hancock's Half Hour will understand the comedic content. The series was written by the great duo Galton and Simpson between 1954 and 1961.
The show started off on radio and it is this period that I chose to pay homage to the show.
The episode I chose was called 'The Gourmet' and as far as I am aware it was never made for television.
The script for this game has been adapted and amended to suit the game idiom.

This is more of a cultural experience than a game although there are a few interactive elements along the way like choosing items from a menu. Put the dog out, draw the curtains, Sit back, relax and indulge in pure comedy genius...

Characters:
There are three central Characters:
* Tony
* Sid
* Bill

Tony is a short, stout man who owns a terraced house in Cheam. He is a bachelor and lives alone. He has a lower than average intellect but fantasizes that he has a much higher intellect and believes he knows about things more than others. He believes he knows about Kipling, Byron, Shakespeare, Dickens and about all the famous artists when in fact he knows very little apart from what he's read in Reader's Digest. He has very few friends as they can see right through him. This never stops him trying to impress people. He often lodges out rooms to people so he can 'educate' them in the finer points of food, art and literature.

Sid is a street wise man who has been around the block a few times. He is a wheeler and dealer and is often involved in petty crimes though nothing major. He lodges with Tony as the rent is cheap and he can often wrap Tony around his finger. He often gets Tony involved in his schemes which generally fail much to Tony's bemusement.

Bill is an Australian and is a 'Tag along' man who has very few friends and often tags along with who ever he can. Ever since he met Sid in a boozer he has tagged along with him. He often falls in with Sid's schemes. He also lodges with Tony from time to time. Tony hates Bill calling him 'Tubs' which he does every time.

Story Line: Sid meets a man in a pub who is a promoter of eating contests. Sid's mind immediately draws to Tony who loves food and says he is a gourmet. Always looking for a quick buck Sid talks Tony into entering the eating contest. Enter Steam-Shovel Tony!

Scenes:
* The Restaurant
* The Extraction
* The Contest
* The Finale

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color
D3d 9

bon appetit (laugh)

Download The Gourmet

KyriakosCH

Hm, actually I may try something. I will have to create some stuff in Blender for it, but I may just make it in time :)

Characters will be the hardest part :/ :)

Is there any limit to number of rooms? (i mean if there should be more than x)

If there is no limit then i can probably do it. Eg here is the humble beginnings of modeling one of the rooms :D

edit:

and something which may pass for a chair!

edit2:

Which, multiplied, should provide more than enough room for the people wishing to take part in the contest :=

Slasher

You can use as many rooms as you like...

Riaise

Looking good, KyriakosCH! I'm glad you decided to give it a go after all! Yeah, there's no limitations this month, other than the "contest" theme itself. :)

Great work, Slasher! Now you can sit back and relax for the rest of the month! :-D

KyriakosCH

Well... nobody expected a full-pendentive arched entrance to the main part of the station where the contest takes place. But if you are a new, foreign-interest channel, out to attract players fast, you have to improvise and be flamboyant :=

Btw, pendentives rule. 8-)

KyriakosCH

Textures aren't final. I suppose I can just create the rest of the stuff in secret? :D

Btw, do we have until the 30th of November to upload the game?

Riaise

Yes, the deadline is the 30th, although Stupot can sometimes give an extension of a few days if needed. :)

KyriakosCH

Ok...

Managed to have some stiffs (the humans there are just that; you can just turn them by degree, and now I will have to carve them into facets and model limb movements etc, which is going to be very difficult given I suck at unit making :D ) and I have thought of the full storyline as well. Notice the two flags; it is going to be about german help to Greece as well (fantasy german tv channel setting up here and organizing a contest := ).

I think that about does it with the screenshots in the thread. I am not sure if I will finish this on time, but I will try - I cannot rely on contests for money, so I have to finish translating some stuff to get paid...

Funkpanzer

I didn't want to post until this was actually a "game" and not just a bunch of whirling numbers but things seem to be going a bit slower than expected. I'm making a road-race game where you keep an eye obstacles, fuel, and exhaustion. So far the base for the driving mechanic and fatigue are in place and I finally got the road to move by the player without tearing!

I'm mainly using trial and error to get AGS to do what I want so no promises! Still no clue how competitor AI is going to work. :-D

Riaise

Nice idea, Funkpanzer! I hope you get it finished by the deadline!  :)

So, we've got one entry finished and several more on the way! I'm glad this theme has inspired so many of you to work on a game! ;-D

Slasher

Funkpanzer: I do hope you manage to pull it off (nod)

What a swell party this is so far (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Decided it was time to make my character. :-D

Meet Pete (he's still mirrored, so ignore the double knot on the belt):

HanaIndiana

I like that little car art Funkpanzer

Mandle

I'm in!

My game is a trivia contest sharable between players.

I almost have it coded correctly but not quite so here is a screenie of the current build:

At the moment the game is all about AGS trivia but I hope to expand it into a platform that anyone can create their own trivia contest on and pass it on to others.

Hence the working title of "Trivia Pass You It" :-X

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/11/2017 15:14:32
I'm in!

My game is a trivia contest sharable between players.

I almost have it coded correctly but not quite so here is a screenie of the current build:

Spoiler
[close]

At the moment the game is all about AGS trivia but I hope to expand it into a platform that anyone can create their own trivia contest on and pass it on to others.

Hence the working title of "Trivia Pass You It" :-X

So it's almost kind of like You Don't Know Jack, AGS Edition.  Almost.

Anyway, rather interesting take,  Mandle.

Funkpanzer

I just spent the last few days figuring out how scoreboards work and have so much more respect for racing game devs. :~(

Up next is collision-detection (again...) and getting competitors to go around one another... oh, and figuring out why point-of-interest locations seem to be influenced by player acceleration rather than distance... ???

Cassiebsg

You probably already noticed, but just in case you haven't.... please add outline to that font! (nod) :-D

Riaise

It's good to see that everyone is making progress! I hope Crimson Wizard is still working on an entry. :)

Also, Mandle, I think you need to add a "none of the above" option, given that I am, in fact, the Vampire Lestat. :P

Cassiebsg

LOL (laugh)

And a sneak preview of my master piece BG:
Spoiler

Ah! Made you look! (laugh)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Wed 15/11/2017 20:01:22
Also, Mandle, I think you need to add a "none of the above" option, given that I am, in fact, the Vampire Lestat. :P

(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

Also: Funkpanzer can we get a compilation shot of all the in-race car graphics to drool over or are some locked secrets?

Mandle

By the way... I knew how to do this before but have forgotten:

How do I get AGS to save games to a folder in the game folder instead of to a folder in My Docuements?

I know it's a simple thing to do but... help!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/11/2017 16:05:15
How do I get AGS to save games to a folder in the game folder instead of to a folder in My Docuements?
This can be now done only through game setup.
If you are using latest AGS 3.4.1, then there is the Default Setup pane, where you can set "Use custom game save path" option.
For AGS 3.4.0 you would need to do that on advanced tab in winsetup, but also copy acsetup.cfg from My Documents to Compiled folder when you're done, or these changes will stay in your personal settings (in my documents).

Funkpanzer

I've only had time to make the base car models so expect some very non-aerodynamic additions to some of the competitor cars. :D

Especially Hemo's Murder Machine...

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 16/11/2017 17:05:09
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/11/2017 16:05:15
This can be now done only through game setup.
If you are using latest AGS 3.4.1, then there is the Default Setup pane, where you can set "Use custom game save path" option.
For AGS 3.4.0 you would need to do that on advanced tab in winsetup, but also copy acsetup.cfg from My Documents to Compiled folder when you're done, or these changes will stay in your personal settings (in my documents).

Ahhhhh...that's it!

Thanks so much CW!

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Thu 16/11/2017 21:33:19

I've only had time to make the base car models so expect some very non-aerodynamic additions to some of the competitor cars. :D

Especially Hemo's Murder Machine...

DROOOOOOOOOOL!!! (Not that I'm a car-nut, just a pixel-nut...)

Cassiebsg

Moving forward, I now have a re-designed GUI, and almost all inventory items... if I'm lucky I'll do the last one after dinner... if not, tomorrow. (laugh)

And a in game screen-grab. :-D
Spoiler

[close]

EDIT:

Started working on my game BG (still WIP): :-D
Spoiler

Also made a low-poly horse. (nod) Find him! ;)
[close]

Mandle

I've compiled a test version of my game so far that I will download on a remote computer and test.

If it works as expected I will most likely release it as my entry even though the interface is quite a bit flawed.

I've saved way too many example questions in the current build to want to go back and start again if any changes made in the editor break the save game.

But, with a bit of following instructions, anyone should be able to use the current build to either play the trivia game so far, or add their own questions to it, or create their own completely original set of trivia questions based on any theme.

It's mainly an experiment for future projects and a study for myself into how user input could be used to change gameplay in constructive ways and evolve simple games into more complex ones.

Hopefully it works on any computer... Testing tomorrow...

Crimson Wizard

There may be a game from me and Jim Reed (art + tech ideas), eventually.

I can frankly admit that lost capability of working under time pressure, and if not for Jim and him keeping pushing me, I would give up somewhere in the middle of the month.

Had to significantly simplify original concept to be able to make it in time. :-X . Opponent AI is to blame...

Hopefully the game will be at least playable. Even if not, I still keep hopes to make a more complete game later, because the code and art have good potential.

A small teaser:
Spoiler

[close]

Slasher

Things are really hotting up around here..

Burning rubber (laugh)

We have some great entries (nod)

KyriakosCH

In the end i am not seeing how i can finish anything on time... I wouldn't stand to win anyway, with awesome games previewed here, but i also decided to not do the more 3d looking game i started making screens of :D

Riaise

That's a shame, Kyriakos. I thought your screenshots looked really good! I hope that you can bring something together from what you've made so far, even if it's a very small game. :)

Yay, Crimson Wizard! I know you've been putting a lot of work into the next version of AGS, so it's really great that you've found the time to work on a MAGS game! It's looking fantastic, too! ;-D

Everything else is still looking good! Keep up the great work, everyone! :-D

Mandle

Wow, Jim Reed doing the graphics for a car racing game in a MAGS... Takes me back!

Jim Reed

KyriakosCH

(nm) (nod)

Mandle

I just uploaded my game again for testing on a remote computer tomorrow.

It now includes two trivia games of my own making:

AGS Trivia and Movie Trivia

Which should be both playable and/or addable to for more questions from players.

It should also be possible to create completely new trivia games of any theme playable within the game itself as seperate save game files which can be redistributed...

I will test tomorrow on a remote computer or two to make sure everything works okay and then release...

Slasher

Mandle,

I hand you a golden septre for your innovation and hope you pull it off (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Uhm... at this point in time, I'm not sure I'll deliver a half baked game (demanding for a deluxe version) or a demo... 8-0

Riaise

Cassie, whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be great! ;-D

Mandle

EDIT: The game release post has been updated on page 5 of this thread so I deleted this one to avoid confusion...

Mandle

UPDATE: The game only seems to work if it is placed in "My Documents" and then run. It doesn't work off of the desktop for me.

Slasher

Mandle

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 25/11/2017 14:38:34
UPDATE: The game only seems to work if it is placed in "My Documents" and then run. It doesn't work off of the desktop for me.
It actually works for me if I run it from a subfolder on desktop, does it not run for you at all or some functionality does not work?

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 25/11/2017 23:37:32
Quote from: Slasher on Sat 25/11/2017 18:23:59
(laugh) so far (nod)

Does this mean you tried it and it works?
I'v only played a few times and the playing parts works.. Will try other parts soon..(nod)

Shadow1000

I put it on my desktop and was able to play it. I did the AGS trivia and movie trivia.

Mandle

Okay, cheers for the good news guys!

It seems that the file for "Stephen King Trivia" got lost somehow (I probably saved over it by accident). It's just the AGS Trivia file instead.

No worries though because there were some wrong questions in it anyways I realized later on. I will probably make a new one and possibly some more themes before the final deadline.

I will post in here when the final version is ready.

I won't be changing the program though so feel free to make your own sets of questions and/or expand upon the ones already in the game folder. The game will still accept them as valid save games.

If anyone does so please contact me as I might include in the game. (Try to include at least 50 or so questions, or more if you can. The upper limit is 200. The game will just crash if you try to add question 201 but it shouldn't corrupt the save file so only that question will not be in the game save file.)

Any topic is fine: Video Games/ Animals/ Geography/ Sports/ Fishing/ Disney/ History/ etc.

Oh, and did anyone find mention of themself in the AGS Trivia yet? I tried to include as many active members as possible. If I missed you I'm sorry. I didn't make a proper list or anything. You can always add a question about yourself ;) ...

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 26/11/2017 00:22:33
Quote from: Mandle on Sat 25/11/2017 14:38:34
It actually works for me if I run it from a subfolder on desktop, does it not run for you at all or some functionality does not work?

It says "Game files not found" and won't run. Mind you, my computer and OS are both ancient so I doubt many will have a problem. And even if they do they can just put the game in "My Documents" and then it works fine.

Riaise

I usually wait until the end of the month to play all of the MAGS games together, but I thought I'd try this one out now. It works fine for me, from the desktop and straight from my downloads folder.

This is so much fun! I love some of the possible answers to some of the questions. (laugh) I will try making my own set of questions later and see how that goes. ;-D

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Sun 26/11/2017 14:22:39
This is so much fun! I love some of the possible answers to some of the questions. (laugh) I will try making my own set of questions later and see how that goes. ;-D

Glad to hear it's fun! That's what it was really intended as: nothing fancy... just a bit of fun for the community (hopefully). Can't wait to try your own set of Q&A if you make one! ;-D

Cassiebsg

I'll wait to try the game... I'm WAY too busy!

One the good side, I've now got all NPCs I need (minus the King, but he'll have to wait for the deluxe version since he's only needed for cutscenes).
Oh, that reminds me I still need to rig the horse and dress him properly. :-\

But now it's time to render my knights and put them in the game. :-D

I'm still not sure I'll make the deadline with something fun and playable.

@Mandle... I'll try to send you the text in next couple days, now that I have all knights I'll focus on coding the remaining dialogues tomorrow.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 26/11/2017 22:55:18
@Mandle... I'll try to send you the text in next couple days, now that I have all knights I'll focus on coding the remaining dialogues tomorrow.

No worries!

Also a quick tip for making questions/answers in my game that I found useful:

If you are part way through making a question and you realised you screwed up somewhere you can just hit Alt-X to quit out of the game. The game doesn't save to the database until after you completely finish each question so with Alt-X you can just abort making a question part way and it won't damage the database or anything.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... end of "days" is approaching fast and I'm far from finished (having a bit too much fun creating some animations (roll) ).
I coded some more of the game and I am trying as fast as I can to get the story and puzzle to make sense (and actually get the puzzles to be part of the story)...

Any chance for an extension? I could use the weekend... (roll)
Anyway, if I'm the only one needing extra time, then it might be pointless, as I'm not even sure the weekend will be enough. :~( (But then there's plenty of time for a Deluxe version... if someone pulls my hears and keeps me on my toes working. (roll) (laugh) )

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 27/11/2017 21:54:08
Anyway, if I'm the only one needing extra time, then it might be pointless, as I'm not even sure the weekend will be enough.

We'd need extra few months to make a proper game... so we do not even bother anymore, just shove random stuff to fill in the gaps.

Slasher

I need another year.... come on Stu....don't be mean (laugh)

Grant my wishes so I can add another room to my game ;)

Seriously chaps, a month is a minimum of 28 days.... you can all do it (nod)

Crimson Wizard

When is the last day to upload the game, is it 30th or 29th? Do not want to screw up by uploading too late :S.

Basically our game is ready ("ready" in the MAGS terms), but I am coding some small improvements now.

Mandle

TRIVIAL PASS YOU IT

FINALLY AN AGS APPLICATION WHERE YOU CAN PLAY, ADD TO, CREATE FROM SCRATCH, AND/OR SHARE SETS OF TRIVIA QUESTIONS WITH OTHER PEOPLE VIA A CLUMSY INTERFACE!!!

WILL YOU FIND MENTION OF YOURSELF AND/OR YOUR CREATIONS IN THE AGS TRIVIA SET??? (I'm seriously sorry if you don't but you can add them yourself if not...)

The game as it is should give you a 10 question trivia quiz about the AGS community when you click on the "Answer Questions" button. The quiz is replayable and also you can add your own questions if you wish to and this expanded save game file will be sharable to others. Read the INSTRUCTIONS text file in the game folder to find out more about adding questions. Please read this file before clicking on the "Add Questions" button when you first play the game.

There are maybe about 70 questions in the database save game but questions will probably be repeated at times. Sorry about that for my lazy coding. I know how to fix it but it would probably break my save game files of trivia sets which took a lot of time to create so please accept this flaw for now as a "feature" where you get a second or third chance at a question you might have gotten wrong before (laugh) .

There are also three extra "agssave.099" Trivia Quizes located in seperate folders within the folder titled: PUT ALL SAVED TRIVIA HERE IN SEPARATE FOLDERS

Instructions are included in the game folder but they might be unclear so here is what you do if you wish to play a different quiz:

Copy the "agssave.099" save file from within either "Movie Trivia", "TV Trivia", or "Capital Cities Trivia" and then paste it to replace the same file in the folder "User Saves" inside the folder "Saved Trivia" in the main game folder.

The original "AGS Trivia" save game is still available in its own folder so don't worry that you might lose it.

As mentioned earlier you can add questions to any game save file or you can make a completely new set of questions by deleting the "agssave.099" file currently in the "Saved Trivia/User Saves" folder and running the game again (ignore the error message when doing so. Lazy coding again on my part. The game will create your new set of questions and answers properly.

The first field to fill in is the question.

The second field is the correct answer.

The next three fields are the incorrect answers.

The game will shuffle the answers each time the question is asked into a different order.

Argh, it sounds so complicated to use but it's actually quite simple I hope.

IMPORTANT: Remember that if you have just created a new set of questions or added to an existing one you MUST copy/paste the current "agssave.099" file in "Saved Trivia/Usersaves" back into your own custom folder to keep that version secure. The game only undates the save game file currently located in "Saved Trivia/Usersaves".

THIS IS THE FINAL RELEASE VERSION OF THE GAME FOR THIS MAGS.

It includes an expanded version of the original AGS Trivia question set and also much thanks to Riaise for creating a set of Capital City Trivia questions which is also included, bringing the total of categories to 4!!!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Mandle

My post above is because there is a new version of the game that includes "TV trivia" instead of the lost and broken "Stephen King Trivia"...

Please download this new version if you wish to play a new trivia round apart from "AGS Trivia" and "Movie Trivia"...

I will probably be updating the trivia files before the final release as well to include other categories or updating the current ones...

EDIT: Done! The above post is the final release version including updated content as mentioned!

Riaise

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 28/11/2017 15:20:53
When is the last day to upload the game, is it 30th or 29th? Do not want to screw up by uploading too late :S.

30th, so it has to be uploaded by the end of tomorrow. :)

I've been working on a question set, Mandle. I just need to add the last few. I've chosen a thrilling topic, you'll be on the edge of your seat while answering these questions! (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Wed 29/11/2017 13:25:47
I've been working on a question set, Mandle. I just need to add the last few. I've chosen a thrilling topic, you'll be on the edge of your seat while answering these questions! (laugh)

Awesome! I'll try it out today and include it in the game folder before the deadline!

MAGS Host

Sorry to be a meanie but it will be hard to administrate things after tomorrow due to busyness. So the deadline stands at 11:59 GMT on the 30th (a little over 20 hours from the time of this post).

You can do it, everybody!

Mandle

I just updated my version release post above to represent the final release version of my game for this MAGS.

It now includes an expanded version of the original AGS Trivia Q&A and also, thanks to a much-appreciated effort by Riaise, a new category: Capital Cities Trivia, bringing the number of playable trivia categories to a lovely 4!!!

Best of luck to the rest of the devs in releasing before the dreaded deadline hits!

Crimson Wizard

Alright, fingers crossed.

Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed present:

Last & Furious

Download links:
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7opdaxku1459c/Last%27n%27Furious.zip?dl=0
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wq8xgjbfyvalq40/Last%27n%27Furious.zip

Screenshots:
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/YQu5AUR.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/NhM9RUk.png[/imgzoom]

Credits:
Crimson Wizard - code;
Jim Reed - art and tech ideas;
Music: "Car Theft 101" by Eric Matyas (www.soundimage.org), "Welcome to the Show" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com).

Description:
This is a racing game. Based on ambitious idea, but we had to cut it "a little" due time constraints... Vehicle physics model is mostly working, collisions are working correctly half of time, and opponent AI is... present.

Controls: Arrow keys and Enter/Space to select options in menu. Arrow keys to drive.
Somehow I forgot to include a way to redefine keys. Well... maybe in the next version.

Cars can only drive forward and turn. TBH they were able to drive backwards originally, but I "temporarily" disabled that and then did not find time to put it back.

Game features two physic modes, named "Safe" and "Wild" in the menu. "Safe" one is called "safe" because computer players are able to safely finish the race :), but it also slightly boring. In "Wild" mode cars are able to drift well, but computer AI is less reliable.
You may turn car collisions on and off. Personally I recommend turning car collisions off in "Wild" mode, because AI has enough problems handling drifting cars. Cars will still collide with walls though.

Physics model in the game is actually configurable, you may find some interesting files in Data folder, but don't touch them until finishing the game at least once :).

Riaise

Yay! I can't wait to try the game out, Crimson Wizard! I'm so glad you got it finished before the deadline. ;-D

Come on, everyone, let's have some last minute entries! :-D

Mandle

Hahaha.... I love the sponser names around the course CW!!!

Congratz on getting it done! I can't wait to play it!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 30/11/2017 14:54:44
Hahaha.... I love the sponser names around the course CW!!!

That's drawn by Jim Reed :) Frankly, I do not know some of these names meaning myself.

Cassiebsg

I'm currently trying to crush a bug before deadline, but I'll upload it with or without bug before mid-night. (roll)

Kweepa

Last 'n' Furious is awesome!
Would love to see a more polished version with more skidding and more physical collisions!
(I didn't recognise Club Calen either)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Jim Reed

Club Galen is one of the IRC chans with members of the AGS community. The address is irc.clubgalen.com , the port is 6667 and the chan is #clubgalen.
This is Galen: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=5933

If you want to visit, and don't have an IRC client, you can use a web based one, like kiwi IRC or something. I was not paid by Galen to advertise here. I don't know why I put it in the game, I don't even like Galen. Galen.
Galen.

Kweepa

I tried looking for Calen but got address not found. ???
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

CaptainD

Last & Furious is great!  I love this sort of racing game and it would be fantastic if you expanded on it.

Crimson Wizard

I reuploaded Last'n'Furious with a patched version, which has few fixes (like removed Ctrl+Q and some other unnecessary key combinations), and sliiightly improved AI for the "Wild" physics mode. I think enemy bump a bit less into walls now (unless collide with each other, that is).
Download links are the same.
(
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7opdaxku1459c/Last%27n%27Furious.zip?dl=0
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wq8xgjbfyvalq40/Last%27n%27Furious.zip
)

I think that will be the official MAGS version now, unless we missed a serious bug.

That reminds me that I do not know if I am even allowed to patch MAGS games after deadline.

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 30/11/2017 20:58:44
Last & Furious is great!  I love this sort of racing game and it would be fantastic if you expanded on it.

Thanks! Yes, we were talking about expanded version, maybe sometime in the future :).

Cassiebsg

Stable Pete and the Joust (DEMO)

Story:
Pete, the stable boy, has grown tired of shovelling horse crap.
With dreams of becoming a prince by marrying princess Mary Belle, he decided to enter
the contest the the King had decided to throw for the purpose of finding her a husband.

Current game specs:
- Game res: 640x360, 32bit
- Music
- No SFX
- No Speech

Currently only Demo! (bugs may exist)

This game/demo was made for MAGS Nov.2017 (Contest)

Expected finished: Dec. 2017

Download link: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2215/
Forum thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55530

(I think I managed to remove all serious bugs, but not promising anything, I did not had the time to fully test everything that I coded).

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 30/11/2017 21:38:38
That reminds me that I do not know if I am even allowed to patch MAGS games after deadline.

You're allowed to patch serious bugs, like game crash. But not allowed to add game features/improvements until voting is over. ;)

Crimson Wizard

Sorry, silly question, is it obligatory to put game in database and create thread in completed games forum? If not I'll do that tomorrow (tired).

Cassiebsg

From the rules:
post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

So... nothing there about needing a forum & DB entry. ;)

Vincent

Congratulations to all of you guys!

Last 'n' Furious is totally amazing, really! I seriously got a lot of fun playing with it!!! :)
My record time is 03:07:20, can you do that better? :-D

(American Girl Scouts) +1

Mandle

About 15 minutes left... ARGH! The suspense!

Mandle

...or...not...?

Hello...?

Suspense...?

MAGS Host

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

The Gourmet by Slasher

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please use the poll above for voting.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: December 14th

CaptainD

Quote from: Vincent on Thu 30/11/2017 23:13:07
My record time is 03:07:20, can you do that better? :-D

2:32:?? (Can't read it on the video too easily!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzwsZ-a_7ZA

Congrats everyone on your entries!!

Vincent

You definitely beat me, well done CaptainD! :-D

CaptainD

Quote from: Vincent on Fri 01/12/2017 14:03:01
You definitely beat me, well done CaptainD! :-D

Next up: on-line multiplayer mode! ;)

Crimson Wizard

@CaptainD, did you try "Wild" physics mode?

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 01/12/2017 14:46:19
Next up: on-line multiplayer mode! ;)
With Wyz's Sockets plugin maybe... only player car's position and direction (and maybe car collision results) should be sent over net, so I believe that's doable. Hmmmm.....

CaptainD

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 01/12/2017 15:20:06
@CaptainD, did you try "Wild" physics mode?

Hmm actually I haven't yet... I forgot... but I will now! ;)

EDIT - whoa!  Who needs breaks anyway?!?!  2:57:32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urEEkbF6qFw

2:47:20 on the next game.  Of course if the car could blow up if it took too much damage it would have taken me a LOT longer! :grin:

Click'd

Now it looks like a contest indeed. Speedrunning, that is.

Cassiebsg

Congrats to all who managed to reach the finish line... :-D

I've now played and tested all games and voted. (nod)

The Gourmet by Slasher
Spoiler

Fun story, but too little interaction for the player.
I felt mostly like watching an interactive novel where you click a couple times to move forward. And the interactions that were there felt a bit like "no matter what I do, it's the right thing to do".
[close]

Spoiler

Great idea! (nod) But needs some polishing. The one that is more "annoying" is that you can read the question 11th but not answer it. 8-0
PS - I didn't knew Snarky was German... I thought he was Swedish... ???
[close]

Spoiler

Great game! I'm glad you didn't gave up half way, and finished a fun game! You got my vote! (nod)
A couple suggestion: maybe a key to put the car back on the track if you get stuck. I got stuck inside a rock and couldn't get out on one of my runs.

Hope the deluxe version will have more tracks to run on. (nod)
Good job! The wild mode is really fun btw! :-D
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 01/12/2017 17:45:06
Spoiler

[close]

A few potentially wrong answers are also a "feature" of the game. This is the era of "fake news" after all ;)

Cassiebsg

LOL :D

Anyway, I just uploaded a bug fix to my game: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9aqxsazvgodtjsj/StablePeteAndTheJoust_V1.1.zip

Fixed: Displaying the "end of demo" GUI (currently it won't pop-up), talking to a sleeping guy (it was just a bool=true, that I forgot to add to both bugs) ; the ability to being stuck in the dialogue with the sign up guy (as I occidentally turned off the Exit dialogue option), and last but not least resetting the power GUI between the joust and the archery...

Peder 🚀

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler

He's actually Norwegian?
[close]

Cassiebsg

@Peder

Spoiler

Yeah, I think he is by looking at his profile... I had just assumed he was Swedish cause he posts a lot of Swedish stuff. ;) (laugh) )
[close]

Slasher

Congrats to all who managed to reach the finish line... :-D

I've now played and tested all games and voted. (nod)

The Gourmet by Slasher
Spoiler

Fun story, but too little interaction for the player.
I felt mostly like watching an interactive novel where you click a couple times to move forward. And the interactions that were there felt a bit like "no matter what I do, it's the right thing to do".
[close]

There are two possible endings when choosing the wine for the last course..

And I did mention:

This is more of a cultural experience than a game although there are a few interactive elements along the way like choosing items from a menu.

Cassiebsg

Okay, then I must have chosen the right one, cause I won. :-D

Yes, I didn't read that part of the "cultural experience" up until late last night. :-[
Still, not my cup of tea for games as I play them for the puzzles and brain challenge more than I play for the story. Not your fault though. :)

Vincent

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 01/12/2017 16:34:52
EDIT - whoa!  Who needs breaks anyway?!?!  2:57:32.

CaptainD, I think you are unbeatable! :-D
It would be even sweet to play Last & Furious with the gamepad, just in case! :)

Mandle

Of course I tried to cheat in Last&Furious by offroad shortcutting the course in every place possible but the game wouldn't let me...

There must be "gateway" checkpoints coded in that make sure the player mostly follows the course, damnit!!! (laugh)

Shadow1000

My comments:

Last and Furious:
I'll start off by admitting freely that this one got my vote. The title actually describes perfectly how I felt every time I played (laugh).

I have to start by commenting on how polished and complete this game is. Complete with a menu to allow you to change up some of the parameters and stunning graphics pulled right out of those 80s racing games. It took me quite some time to learn how to use the controls to maneuver the car. It seems that you almost have to know the track in advance to properly pull some of those turns. I will admit that I never finished without being in last place but over time I did keep up with the cars progressively farther on the track and overall the game is a LOT Of fun.

Absolutely outstanding for a contest entry.

Stable Pete and the Joust
Was my runner up. Despite still being a demo, the graphics, NPCs, dialogues, mini-games, inventory and so on are a very impressive job. I hope Cassie polishes this game up, gets some testers to play it and releases it. It definitely looks promising.

Trivial Pass You It

Once again, you can count on Mandle to find a way to push what AGS can do and come up with a COMPLETELY different concept and basically build his own game engine all for a contest entry.

The Gourmet
I assume that those familiar with the radio show would get a kick out of this one. More of an interactive story but entertaining nevertheless. Good job!

As far as my vote, my personal preference is adventure-style games over the classic arcade, but Last and Furious got my vote as being the most complete, most polished and overall most fun of the group. Congrats to all entries.

Stupot

Funkpanzer. What happened to your game?
I hope you didn't feel squeezed out of the racing game market. Yours was looking cool, too.
Do you still plan in releasing it?

Creamy

Last and Furious:
Spoiler

Impressive! It looks and plays just like the real thing. Took me back to the Double Clutch, Death Rally and Micro Machines days. Once polished, it will be an excellent game, AGS notwithstanding. I'd recommend a higher difficulty mode too.
[close]

Stable Pete and the Joust
Spoiler
The seeds of an entertaining game. I look forward to helping Peter of HayBucket.
[close]

Trivial Pass You It
Spoiler
Neat idea. I hope it gets more decks.
[close]

The Gourmet
Spoiler
What a bizarre and funny story. I just wish it was more interactive. For instance, I thought there would be a button masher during the contest. Slasher's second game on cooking. Would he happen to be a cordon bleu?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 04/12/2017 01:49:35

Trivial Pass You It

Once again, you can count on Mandle to find a way to push what AGS can do and come up with a COMPLETELY different concept and basically build his own game engine all for a contest entry.

Glad to hear that you got what the concept was behind this rough-as-guts proof-of-concept game.

I'm most interested right now in creating games which the players can also add their own content to and can evolve over time based on what a "community" of players do with them.

So this was just really a baby-step in that direction. I've messed around with the same kind of idea before in Predators Prey For Plants and T.O.T.S. but I feel this experiment probably has more scope even though it is extremely simple concept.

So yeah, simple concepts that can be built on to create more complex experiences by players. Basically I'm lazy (laugh)

Riaise

The Gourmet by Slasher

Spoiler
I enjoyed this game. It wasn't challenging, but it told a good story and had plenty of humour throughout. There could have been more puzzle elements, but I think it worked well as an interactive story. :)
[close]

Spoiler
This is such a great idea, and the basic premise works really well. The interface could be a bit slicker, and there are some 'features' which could annoy some people, but I know you didn't want to risk breaking the save games. Overall,
though, it's a really innovative take on the theme. :)
[close]

Last & Furious by Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed

Spoiler
Wow, I'm amazed that anyone can make a game of this quality in just one month! The graphics are fantastic, and the amount of detail in the driving physics is just amazing! Seriously, incredible work from both of you! ;-D
[close]

Spoiler
This is a nice little game. It's a shame that some of the features weren't finished, but the graphics and animations are lovely and the story is sweet. Well done! :)
[close]

Crimson Wizard

Sorry for being bit late to comment.

The Gourmet by Slasher:
Spoiler

On this I agree with Riaise's comment above, it's a funny interactive story. I wish I knew the meaning of all those meal-related words :).

I stumbled on a bug, when replaying the game for the second time I was skipping dialogs with Escape, and Control Panel came out. For some reason I could not click Resume button, so could not continue playing.

Another thing, it appears you have copied whole Compiled folder in the archive, but since AGS 3.4.0 you need only Compiled/Windows folder. Basically, you have same game two times in the archive.
[close]

Stable Pete and the Joust by Cassiebsg:
Spoiler

The beginning looked promising, but I could not complete it :(. Gathered a number of inventory items, but found use for only few of them.
Either there are some bugs in game logic, or I was doing something wrong. I managed to put the knight asleep, though Pete kept saying he cannot mess with the helm. And speaking to the sleeping Knight made him awake again as if nothing happened.
I also could not work out the archery range, the arrows kept fliyng into directions I least expected...
[close]

Trivial Pass You It by Mandle:
Spoiler

I may be biased about gameplay side of this game, because I hate trivias :).
From the technical side, this may be an interesting idea, but if I am allowed to give advices, first of all I'd strongly suggested to not use savegames for this purpose, and use File script API. That way you will have better control over what data you have there, and can give files custom names.
[close]

Cassiebsg

CW, thanks for playing.
Well, 1st seems like you were playing the original version, and not the updated (cause I fixed the talking character). There was suppose to be a box that come out once you had completed the demo, but because I forgot to set a flag to true (see above fixed bug) that box does not show up in the original uploaded mags entry.
However if you have:
Spoiler

- Got the Armour
- Enrolled in the contest as Knight Peter of ....
- Put the red knight sleeping

Then you have completed the demo. The other items are for puzzles I didn't got to implement.
[close]

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

The folder has since been replaced.

fixing Bugs you mentioned...

Fancy pressing Esc to escape all dialogs (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 14/12/2017 16:49:17
CW, thanks for playing.
Well, 1st seems like you were playing the original version, and not the updated (cause I fixed the talking character). There was suppose to be a box that come out once you had completed the demo, but because I forgot to set a flag to true (see above fixed bug) that box does not show up in the original uploaded mags entry.

Ahhh, that made a big difference! Now I managed to finish the demo in one go :).

Spoiler

I just wanted to mention one glitch, there is a stray pixel in the character view, located about double character's width to the left, you may notice it in the darker rooms when character is facing or walking left.
[close]

Slasher

Bugs fixed and have uploaded new build..

Cheers crimson...

Cassiebsg

Tks CW, I noticed it, but had no time to re-render/fix the sprites, so I just left it in for now. ;)

Mandle

"It's the second most busiest time of the year." (everyone sing along!)

So I've played everything and voted. I will post comments if I have time.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 14/12/2017 22:53:57
"It's the second most busiest time of the year." (everyone sing along!)

So I've played everything and voted. I will post comments if I have time.
And I haven't even had time to play any of the entries yet! :~(

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the winner of MAGS November (by an impressive margin) is:

Well done guys. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a theme for January.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

Shadow1000

Slasher

Very well done you guys though my driving skills leave a lot to be desired...

(Crimson---Beginners luck--Jammy dodger (laugh) )

Do pick a great theme for Jan 2018..

I'll take my boxing gloves off when I do my next game, it's easier to script (laugh)

I liked the other games to...

I hope that Mandle decides to up his Trivia game as it has great potential, especially doing your own questions so that my granddaughter could play (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 15/12/2017 07:56:06
I'll take my boxing gloves off when I do my next game, it's easier to script (laugh)

You have just won two internets!!!

Riaise

Congratulations, Crimson Wizard and Jim Reed! What you achieved in one month still amazes me! :-D

And well done to Slasher, Mandle and Cassie! It's always good to have a variety of different game styles to choose from, and everyone put in a lot of effort this month. Great work! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk