Of FF7 PC problems and pleads for help.

Started by Scid, Sat 19/04/2003 04:15:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Scid

I have a problem. It's not cancer, or aids, or that SARS thingie that's floating around. It's way worse. It's final fantasy 7 crashing on me and making me unable to play on!

Allright. I'll wait a minute and let you recover from your shock.

Now, there is something we can do about this, friends. We do not have to stand by idle and watch one of our close friends, being myself, fall victim to an unsatisfactory gaming experience. No. We can fight back!

All it takes is for one brave final fantasy 7 for the PC owning soul to go on a date with barret for me (I shall send you the savegame) and then save the game after said experience has ended. That, my friends, is all it takes.

If you could be that person, you would earn my undying gratitude. Now don't go rushing to the store and buying final fantasy 7 for the pc yet. For indeed, the ones who cannot help me can also obtain my undying grattitude. By simple request.

That is all, my friends.
That is all...
Those who can, do, and those who can't brag about how they do it at least fifty times a day somewhere on the internet.

Quickstrike

I almost beat FF7, but chickened out at the final area.  Also, I have it for Playstation.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Scid

That's weird. I've been turned into a frog (where do those japanese guys get their ideas?) quite often, but I've never been chickened out of a fight before.

Anyhow, thanks for checking out this thread, and for being willing to help me in my hour of need. For that, you may now also call yourself the proud owner of some of my grattitude. Treat it like your would your own mother. Or a tamagochi. Whichever you would treat best.
Those who can, do, and those who can't brag about how they do it at least fifty times a day somewhere on the internet.

Bionic Bill

My copy of FF7 is at "home" in Texas, while I am at "home #2, aka college" in Chicago. I can snag it when I visit next weekend, if you still need the help.

TheYak

I understand your sorrow.  Although I have noticed that with many savegames, it's not the game but the position/state/inventory/etc. of the savegame itself that presents the problem.  Nonetheless, if you'll e-mail the savegame to yakspit@probedbyaliens.com I'd be happy to give it a shot for you.  Also, if you would specify where it's crashing so I know at which point it's safe to resave.

LGM

Hey Scid, did you try downloading a patch for it.. Are there any?

If not, tough luck man. FF7 was a rushed release, and there are many icky bugs and control issues. The only way to fix it would be to email Eidos tech support or something.

Bah, stupid programmers.
You. Me. Denny's.

Scid

Thanks!

I've sent my savegame to you, Yaksplit. I hope you can help me. It shouldn't take long. Unless you get bitten by the FF7 virus whilst playing through those five minutes for me. In which case, well... it will.

LGM: Yeah. There's an XP patch, but I doubt that would do much good on my windows 95 system. Damn OS'es!

TheYak

I hate to  say this after the very thankful message but I couldn't get it past that part either.  I'll go ahead and go back there and just leave it for a little while (like you did) but I'm dubious.  Anyway, I messed with all graphics and sound settings to see if there was something specific causing the bug but it doesn't seem to be affected.  

Sorry ...  I even tried Glide wrappers in case the game liked being run better with 3dfx support... no dice there either.

Scid

No problem. I really appreciate what you've done, and tried to do. The fact that it didn't help doesn't change that what you did was really nice. You are nice people.

There is something strange, though. Did you manage to play past that part in your copy, or have you not gotten that far in the game yourself yet?

Bionic Bill

If you guys don't get anywhere, I could give it a try with the XP patch.

Scid

Thanks. I'll send you an email as soon as I figure out what you email adress is. Unless you'd be so practical as to, besides your help, give that to me as well.

TheYak

I've gotten past that part but it was on the Playstation version.  I tried yours on a semi-legitimate backup copy of the PC version.  As far as the Playstation goes, I got the final boss battle and noted that it was 6AM and decided to get some sleep.  I never felt like taking it back up and my savegame's since been erased.    

Best of luck solving your crisis.. maybe with some on-line scanning you can find a saved game at the part you want.. of course the characters won't be customized or anything..

Bionic Bill

I sent you a message on the messageboard thingy, but I don't really know if I did that right, so just in case my e-mail is john_a_campbell `at' hotmail.com.

Scid

I replied to you on the messageboard thingie. I could have done so here as well, but then I'd wind up bumping this, if all goes well, soon to be useless thread.

Ehm. Dang!

Squinky

I'll just save you some trouble and tell you how it ends....

The good guys win...

Hard to believe, I know...

Scid

Bastard!

Now I can't just let this go. I'm afraid now I'll have to spoil the ending to lord of the rings: the two towers for all of you. I did not want to have to do this, but if I let squinky get away with such horrible things, without any sort of vengeance on the world on my part, well... I would suck. So here goes then: the good guys win.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk